clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
January 2nd/3rd Storm Observations

Bostonseminole

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Experiencing wind gusts frequently in the mid 30's here. Impressive unto self being slightly sheltered. The open exposed E facing coastal beaches are very prone to flooding w 3 H tides, maybe a bullet dodged but something to keep an eye on around noon.    

PNS reports are showing healthy rates overnight: 

...ESSEX COUNTY...
   TOPSFIELD             23.5   628 AM  1/03  HAM RADIO
   SWAMPSCOTT            13.4  1124 PM  1/02  GENERAL PUBLIC
   NAHANT                12.0  1210 AM  1/03  SPOTTER

Nice AFD update... Messenger hope you're cashing in after a long wait:

***an all out blizzard along the far southeast New England coast
through middle morning and travel is highly discouraged***

640 am update...

A wild early morning across Plymouth County/Cape Cod and the islands
as several sites have met official blizzard criteria. Heavy snow
was being accompanied by 45 to 55 miles per hour winds resulting in
visibilities below one quarter of a mile and pretty much whiteout
conditions. Travel is not recommended in this region these
conditions are a result of low pressure undergoing bombogeness as it
passes southeast of the benchmark.

RAD breaking up even  more beyond rt 128, not that I was in awe of the 2"/6hr rates that we had.

Prob get one last burst to tack on 2-3" in a few hours.

-1.1/-5

Over and out.

3" New.

13" total, but a lot of drifting and compaction.

This has been a colder Boxing day for me.

Bottomed out at -1.3/-5

Currently 1.8/-1

Still snowing....

Since the snow started early yesterday a.m. I am just under 7". Cleared the board once before bed and again at 6:00am today. I've got the board in a pretty good spot, away from heavy drifting. Temp was about 5f at 6:00.

Snowing pretty good still. Looks like I will end up in the range of Ryans forecast (6-10) and I think close to the updated Taunton forecast map from last night.

I never really bought into the 15-20:1 stuff people were hyping. Really have to get into some good banding for that to work out...and it was clear only E MA really had a shot at that. Maybe this will finally put to bed the idea that cold automatically translates to good ratios.

Was below zero the while time up here and got 2.5" on almost 0.3" of QPF.

Below 10:1 ratios...this stuff is dense like sand. The whole it's cold so ratios must be high stuff makes my head spin, lol.

This is def. an event in which your total will suffer if you haven't be sweeping and clearing in 6 hour increments.

Wind and compaction is brutal.

Absolutely.....the last measurement I had that was reasonably reliable was around 6:00 last night with 6.2".  I'm guessing we picked up a couple after that, but I'm not in a position to file a report.  And we were only blowing into the 20's.

I'm going to see what types of things get reported by Chris and others in the pns to hopefully come up with a better sense.  Undoubtedly, they're running into the same challenges.

Was below zero the while time up here and got 2.5" on almost 0.3" of QPF.

Below 10:1 ratios...this stuff is dense like sand. The whole it's cold so ratios must be high stuff makes my head spin, lol.

Well Al Roker just said the ratios were 30:1 and that's why there is so much snow in Boston.

Just woke up to moderate snow and 3 degrees.  Pretty impossible to say how much fell, but there are some healthy looking drifts.

For me, the more impressive thing than the 31 hours of snow and gusty winds is the temperature....I never thought it could snow in this area while it's so cold.  3 degrees and steady, mod. snow is amazing and I can't imagine I'll see it down here any time soon.

Archived