clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
January 2nd/3rd Storm Observations

Bostonseminole

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little over 4? Snow board has been useless... the drifts are all over the place. 

Wow we really got the hose.  I don't think snowgrowth ever improved here at all.  I went to bed around 2 AM and woke up around 5 then just got up but flake sized never really increased here and snow have been blowing like crazy.  

Wow we really got the hose.  I don't think snowgrowth ever improved here at all.  I went to bed around 2 AM and woke up around 5 then just got up but flake sized never really increased here and snow have been blowing like crazy.  

I don't think I ever saw a dendrite. All crap snow growth... probably 10:1. 

Just helped the wife dig out. Couldn't find a spot above 4" that wasn't in a drift. I suppose technically it's more like 5" considering some compaction and some light drifting in our fairly sheltered location.

My call was 4-8" for CT with some spot 10's in the hills...looks like it was a good call at this point. I never trust relying on high ratios to deliver...seems to not work out more often than not.

Just helped the wife dig out. Couldn't find a spot above 4" that wasn't in a drift. I suppose technically it's more like 5" considering some compaction and some light drifting in our fairly sheltered location. My call was 4-8" for CT with some spot 10's in the hills...looks like it was a good call at this point. I never trust relying on high ratios to deliver...seems to not work out more often than not.

Between models being too high on QPF in general and a lot going into ratios besides "cold" this is generally a good rule of thumb.

Using BUFKIT it's normally pretty easy to tell which events will produce and which ones won't in terms of "fluff". I like to see a very deep/saturated column around -15c - hard to do. 

I think we managed 10:1 for the entire event. The snow is very dry, almost a sand consistency, with zero fluff factor. Lots of grains, needles, and columns. 

I never really bought into the 15-20:1 stuff people were hyping. Really have to get into some good banding for that to work out...and it was clear only E MA really had a shot at that. Maybe this will finally put to bed the idea that cold automatically translates to good ratios.

Haven't been outside yet but everything is drifted and snow is blowing all over. I'd guess 13-16" but it's going to be really hard to tell. I think I'll bundle up and try to make it to Jamaica Pond later for some pics. I imagine the drifts around there will be insane and picturesque because of the wide open pond that is completely frozen over.

Great storm here, amazing cold.

Guessing will be around 18" thanks to impressive finish since 2AM, but very hard to measure...

South Shore getting crushed (well depicted by RAP, HiRes NAM), eager to get reports from CoastalWx and others.

Awesome to walk around and experience these extreme conditions which may not recur for many years.

Some photos from Fella's hood... it's beautiful out there:

Long live winter!!

I think we managed 10:1 for the entire event. The snow is very dry, almost a sand consistency, with zero fluff factor. Lots of grains, needles, and columns.

We probably had a mixture of small dendrites and plates, columns and needles most of the storm. There were times, especially during some of the heavier overrunning yesterday where it was mainly dendrites.

According to the ALY, the storm total at midnight at ALB was 7.1" and the liquid equivalent precip was 0.57" inches at that time as well. That translates to a ratio of about 12.5 to 1. This was probably because there was a significant period of time yesterday where the greatest lift was in the layer from 850 to 750 mb where the temperatures where above -10C.

Overall a very nice event though with about 9.5" on the ground this morning.

Nice Fella, it's an awesome walk... I'm glad I went out before the plows muck it up. Snap some drafts if you spot any.

What an awesome and objectively historic snowstorm for eastern MA. 2 exhilarating overperformers so far this season.

Last night around 11 I did the 1 mile up Harvard to Linden out to Kent over to Aspinwall to home. The dog was happy to head home but also happy in the snow. Earlier I did a TJ run with few customers in the store. Reminds me 1994.

Archived