clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
January 2nd/3rd Storm Observations

Bostonseminole

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like "general public", whoever that is: Boston 13.5 1112 PM 1/02 general public 1 N East Boston 10.6 1200 am 1/03 Logan Airport Winthrop 10.6 1159 PM 1/02 none Though tbh the Logan reports are consistent with the surrounding metro reports.

The Winthrop guy is the Logan measure if you didn't know that.

Yeah I've seen the Winthrop / Logan measures for years, but who's the "general public"? I remember measures in previous years from Boston Commons, I wonder if that's the same.

Band from Worcester to Lowell has improved noticeably in past 15 min, might give us a little burst.

Radar days not much happening in West Roxbury but let me tell you is pouring snow. 10.5" best guess but you really won't find it anywhere. The idea of this being the fluffiest site ever is long gone as it has compacted. We may have gotten 30:1 ratios on 0.5" only but it compacted back hence about 10" lol. Cause it's obviously historically cold.

Just came in from the awesome drove around the town. Does not feel any colder than 20*F even though the wind chill is -20*F. I've always been convinced that once you go below 20*F you can't really tell the difference OUTSIDE of how long your in it. That's where the difference is. You could only be out for 3 to 4 minutes before you said DAMN this is Cold as Negative HELL! Vs. 20*F where you could stay out all day as I do when I sled.

Radar days not much happening in West Roxbury but let me tell you is pouring snow. 10.5" best guess but you really won't find it anywhere. The idea of this being the fluffiest site ever is long gone as it has compacted. We may have gotten 30:1 ratios on 0.5" only but it compacted back hence about 10" lol. Cause it's obviously historically cold.

Just came in from the awesome drove around the town. Does not feel any colder than 20*F even though the wind chill is -20*F. I've always been convinced that once you go below 20*F you can't really tell the difference OUTSIDE of how long your in it. That's where the difference is. You could only be out for 3 to 4 minutes before you said DAMN this is Cold as Negative HELL! Vs. 20*F where you could stay out all day as I do when I sled.

I was thinking the same thing, the time outside makes the big difference

Living vicariously through you guys (though we are getting it pretty good down here) ... phenomenal post.  What an epic storm, subzero with moderate snow... unreal.

Yeah, we sure are. Some of the wintriest and coldest/windiest conditions we've experienced around NYC in a decade (January 2004 might come close remembering the midmonth clipper that dropped 8" on Long Island, but without the wind). Looks like the radar's lighting up over us-hopefully that's the start of the inverted trough.

closing in on 5" in norwalk.. about to rip here.. band from nyc moving in, obs from there impressive in the NYC thread

It's awesome down here on Long Island-looks like the increase has legs up into CT. Activity there has been somewhat lethargic with this batch so far. Models were hinting at this, hopefully there's a good amount of snow to come for all.

3-4' drifts abound. Will be close to impossible to get accurate SF measurements. Gazing out the window the landscape is a uniform mantle of white, no definition of road to yard. A moderate clip still falls. Temperature never did reach zero but the wind is close, ground blizzard with 50 yards visibility.  

Wow is it impressive out there in Fella's hood. Best snowfall since evening. 

These last bands really blossomed since 2AM from 495 east and Box's widespread 14-18 may in fact verify.

Pics coming. Hard to be out for more than 5 minutes.

Congrats Sam, not for Jerry cause he's seen so many. :) Experience dictates with the wind- drifts as such a foot is needed 

Archived