clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
January 2nd/3rd Storm Observations

Bostonseminole

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well its been a really awesome storm. The cold is something we'll probably never see again in our lifetimes in a legit snowstorm. Certainly is unique going back at least 5-6 decades from what I have looked at. (haven't really checked pre-1950)

Hopefully this last pulse of the mid-level lows trying to deepen will give everyone a final jolt of snow. I'll prob try and get up in a few hours to check, but I'm out of gas for tonight.

Just got back home from the Bruins, nevermind the snow, the temp in town was around 5 with a stiff wind. Got home to Lowell where it was -1 and mod snow.

Also went to the game and in ~40 minutes of waiting for the train, saw the reported temp on the big video monitor at North Station fall from 6 to 3. 

Did you take the train, and if so, did you see the MBTA crew just outside North Station apparently keeping a switch from freezing by, I swear my eyes were not deceiving me (my son saw it too), setting a fire along the rails?

Also saw sea smoke on a Boston Harbor backwater in Chelsea. And got to experience near-blizzard conditions firsthand in Beverly waiting on the platform 15 minutes for our transfer to Newburyport.

When we got to the pickup in the parking lot there was no snow on it whatsoever (aside from a sculptured drift in the bed) - the wind kept it clear. I will say though that we were closer to whiteout conditions during the drive to the train station this afternoon than on the return trip tonight. Much larger dendrites earlier and the wind was just starting to pick up but not yet strong enough to shred the flakes.

When we left I measured 10" new snow in one spot in my front yard where I've had a makeshift stake since the mid-December snow - 14" total depth including 4" glacial base. Right now the snow depth is ... the same 14", even though it's been snowing non-stop here. Wind compaction and drifting. I'll wait until morning to take multiple measurements and average them out.

Sorry for the blog but I think this may be the greatest snowstorm I've ever experienced in my 51 years. At least as great as 2/78 in NYC, albeit for different reasons: We were progged to get an inch or two during the day, before the main event, and we got at least 10. I've never seen it snow while so extremely cold. And the train ride and all in the teeth of it was outstanding. (Excellent Bruins win in OT too.)

this second part reminds me of 12_21/09, South is getting smoked, LI, SW and SE CT

yeah some decent returns over NYC-southeastCT-LI but not looking promising for us

overnight was billed as the main act, i was fully ready to track all night

Coastal sounds like you're doing pretty well, share drift pics if you have any... just went out, my phone (with camera) dies in cold temps even with full battery

yeah some decent returns over NYC-southeastCT-LI but not looking promising for us

overnight was billed as the main act, i was fully ready to track all night

Coastal sounds like you're doing pretty well, share drift pics if you have any... just went out, my phone (with camera) dies in cold temps even with full battery

It looks like that area of growth on the radar will clip SE CT, areas south of Providence, SE MA south of Taunton, and the Cape.  I don't think the heavier stuff makes it much further north than that as it moves east over the next few hours.

i just took the dogs out and measured all over the place, only three to four inches otg ......the snow is super dense for temps so cold, i dont think we have better than ten to one ratios here, it seems like it should be accumilating more but it just isnt, the flakes are just super tiny.....so is it terrible snow growth and the wind that is keeping this from piling up?......i just dont understand lol

Also went to the game and in ~40 minutes of waiting for the train, saw the reported temp on the big video monitor at North Station fall from 6 to 3. 

Did you take the train, and if so, did you see the MBTA crew just outside North Station apparently keeping a switch from freezing by, I swear my eyes were not deceiving me (my son saw it too), setting a fire along the rails?

Also saw sea smoke on a Boston Harbor backwater in Chelsea. And got to experience near-blizzard conditions firsthand in Beverly waiting on the platform 15 minutes for our transfer to Newburyport.

When we got to the pickup in the parking lot there was no snow on it whatsoever (aside from a sculptured drift in the bed) - the wind kept it clear. I will say though that we were closer to whiteout conditions during the drive to the train station this afternoon than on the return trip tonight. Much larger dendrites earlier and the wind was just starting to pick up but not yet strong enough to shred the flakes.

When we left I measured 10" new snow in one spot in my front yard where I've had a makeshift stake since the mid-December snow - 14" total depth including 4" glacial base. Right now the snow depth is ... the same 14", even though it's been snowing non-stop here. Wind compaction and drifting. I'll wait until morning to take multiple measurements and average them out.

Sorry for the blog but I think this may be the greatest snowstorm I've ever experienced in my 51 years. At least as great as 2/78 in NYC, albeit for different reasons: We were progged to get an inch or two during the day, before the main event, and we got at least 10. I've never seen it snow while so extremely cold. And the train ride and all in the teeth of it was outstanding. (Excellent Bruins win in OT too.)

Living vicariously through you guys (though we are getting it pretty good down here) ... phenomenal post.  What an epic storm, subzero with moderate snow... unreal.

reminds me of the blizzard last feb where from 9am to 9 pm we only had two to three inches otg despite low vis, just super tiny flakes that werent adding up for what seemed like an eternity and then from 9pm to 3 am we picked up almost 18 inches!! then it snowed til 8 am or so but only got another 1.5 to 2 inches

I like "general public", whoever that is: Boston 13.5 1112 PM 1/02 general public 1 N East Boston 10.6 1200 am 1/03 Logan Airport Winthrop 10.6 1159 PM 1/02 none Though tbh the Logan reports are consistent with the surrounding metro reports.

The Winthrop guy is the Logan measure if you didn't know that.

Archived