• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
January 2nd/3rd Storm Observations

Bostonseminole

I was just out in this for 20 minutes and the combo of wind, snow and temps is the most brutal I've been in around here. Its different than a clear, cold -10F or even a CAA -2F....its moist outside so it cuts that much more through your body when there is wind.

this is like being at the top of a Mountain, last time I was in this was at Jay Peak top with temp below zero winds to 40 and heavy snow. To have it down here, unreal.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The canal really is in a slithole of ****. Even when the banding was materializing.

Cf hanging up a little per twdr. Secondary area of convergence runs along that snow band evident on radar. Can see this on velocity products from both stations.

It's not just the canal area most of se and s ma is lagging behind predictions. IMHO the best synoptic precip is missing to the south. North of that band we've got subsidence and are left with OE stuff. Models may have been too far north with the better "synoptic" stuff this evening for my area. Oe should save the day to a modest degree. As the band developed out by ack everything to the nw died.

Be interesting to watch. If we aren't able to see some of that CCB wrap back genuine storm moisture forecasts may be in trouble down here.

Anyway good luck all. Bummed because of the cold snow aspect so far missing here. 27 and light snow isn't nearly as unique as what most of you experienced today. When I look at forecasts from Harv etx...hard to believe they are expecting another 12+ down here from this point.

3F SN+

Just did a mile walk about with friends in from San Francisco who are in awe right now.

I've never seen snow so light yet so dense.  Baking powder.

Wasn't expecting it to storm this hard out here.

Albany radar looks awesome for the short term.

:lol: Remind them no matter how cold it may be outside at your place 45* in dense fog and 25 mph sustained wind is colder.....lol.....jk....not doing great here in West Hartford....didn't measure but I'd say I'm at 4 or 5 inches.....but its drifted to a foot in places too....the temp is magnificent and the pixie dust snow is magical.....for a storm that didn't produce much snow here - so far - I'm impressed nonetheless.....shouts to the E MA folks.....rock on

Cyclogenesis is still in the process and the low is still pretty far south.  You can see that as the low continues to deepen stronger banding is starting to wrap around the low.  Even the latest NAM/GFS continue to indicate that the potential for some pretty strong banding across eastern MA will exist well past 7-8 AM tomorrow.  There may be a lull with the heavier stuff but it's coming after 1-2 AM or so.  

Under any banding it's going to rip like crazy for a period of time and given how fluffy the snow is it will pile up quick.  I keep thinking back to Feb 06 where the snow was so fluffy here that under the CCB I got 14'' in just 3 hours.

That was tremendous.....I still put that one on the top of my list - I've only been here 9 yrs.....for not getting a bunch of snow I'm really enjoying the cold...it's fantastic....watch my furnace konk out....lol

Just got home from work. The Rt 31 overpass of Rt 2 was like a small truck stop. 3-4 18 wheelers pulled over waiting.

~6" at home. IMBY this is a lot like a colder boxing day, still fun with the cold temps and wind. Snow growth has been poor, like boxing day: mostly tiny flakes, grains, needles. A few bursts of high ratio dendrites. Nice to see it is a positive bust for many.

BOS with 1F and moderate snow is just something you do not see.

In fact, BOS is currently 2F off the record low for 1/3 (-1F in 1904)...and doing it in the commahead of a snowstorm.

Just awesome...many forecasts didn't have BOS below zero until tomorrow night (well..tonight) and some not at all.

ORH -1 and -SN. Sick

Just awesome...many forecasts didn't have BOS below zero until tomorrow night (well..tonight) and some not at all.

ORH -1 and -SN. Sick

Yeah, did anybody really expect Boston Logan to be this cold while the storm was on, and the sky was cloudy?  You really can't get that cold next to the water unless some extreme things happen.

ORH -1 and -SN. Sick

I've already said a couple times, but I'll mention it again...I have not found a storm this cold on record here. I've looked back to about 1950...maybe there's one colder at some point, but I have yet to find it.

That was tremendous.....I still put that one on the top of my list - I've only been here 9 yrs.....for not getting a bunch of snow I'm really enjoying the cold...it's fantastic....watch my furnace konk out....lol

That was pretty freaking memorable.  The consistency of the thunder/lightning along with the snowfall rates...the visibility was absolutely insane.  I couldn't even see the street from the living room window at my aunts/grandparents which was maybe 120ft away or so.  

I've already said a couple times, but I'll mention it again...I have not found a storm this cold on record here. I've looked back to about 1950...maybe there's one colder at some point, but I have yet to find it.

We may be witnessing a 1 in 50 year type storm in terms of cold. We've witnessed a lot of 1 in 50 year storms lately it seems.

Archived