clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
January 2nd/3rd Storm Observations

Bostonseminole

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's gone now. Should be snowing steadily there. Luckily i've been a couple miles above that for the past 2 hours.

Even when it vanishes it's just light snow.  This has been the weirdest first 1/2 of any storm I can remember.  Normally if we have these returns it's a crushing snow...it's just light.  Weird snow growth or it's getting blown south of me I don't know.

I actually would argue for it being subsidence related. You got stuck in a crap spot se of the CF. At the same time, you had some other bands moving north to south earlier today and not really moving slow enough to deliver great rates. That area has sort of been sandwiched in between the OES and other bands.

Well it's kind of one and the same I guess.  If winds were more NE..say you could draw a line from Provincetown to the Canal then we'd have had OEs bands for sure AND the CF would have been in a different position.  The wind trajectory kept the snow bands from really forming here, but played out well.  I don't think this was a bad modeling job, I think all models showed this which is why I was a little ho hum.  I'm never a big believer in the back end on these things there are a few few times it's worked out with 1/05 being one of them.  A lot of times after the CF finally blows through the winds veer enough to kind of shut off the most intense stuff so I'm not holding my breath on that yet.

In the last 15 minutes we are seeing some short band OES develop even within the Bay which should help out what is a flailing synoptic snow so far.  The fact that I can still see the developing OES bands clearly kind of paints the picture on how the synoptic portion is doing down here as of this moment.

9F/4F

Easily the coldest I can remember for a snowstorm around here, and it's still dropping.

3" on the ground

Light to occasionally moderate snow.  Looks like we might bust low, but hoping the radar blossoms a bit as the mid-level low starts to spin closer.  Already seeing a bit of improvement between here and NE PA.

The one thing that I can't stand about Wilmington is that we are one of the few spots that can get porked by the ocean, yet never really benefit from it.

My BL often goes to crap and I hardly ever get ice, yet am just far enough inland to avoid the big oes....the convergence on the n shore just won't let it penetrate.

Oh well.

Still a good spot, just don't see the 20-30" totals that are relatively common around Peabody, Salem, etc.

Average of just shy if 5" here from several measurements. Cool storm but the craziest part is definitely the temp for here. Large variance though...still bare ground in many areas with drifts of 1'.

i measured an avg snow depth of ~3.5" - 4" .. surprisingly it has some weight to it, i wonder what the ratios have been out here. can't be better than 12-1, maybe 15-1 ratio at best

Winston, any idea how it's looking at my house on Kingston/Plympton line? Stayed up in Quincy in fear I might not be able to get to work in time but looking like I may have been fine.

There's a nice wide area band, if you're on the cold side of the CF it's grand..otherwise meh.  

I'm actually tossing the towel in on this one and heading to bed which is a first in the web days for me.   There may be some enhancement in a few hours that I may roll over for, but I'm all set with 1 mile+ in snow at 27 degrees.  This has been very run of the mill down here so far.  Wind, light snow, and temps just a few degrees below freezing.  Worlds apart from where you are!  (and not close to a blizzard)

EDIT:  I figure maybe 8 or 9" if we get lucky maybe 10.  I doubt there's a verification of a blizzard here, just too banded.  Synoptic portion of this storm here has taken a dump so far.

Blown away by this... If it ended now with my 7" and temps at -1F, I'm amazed we combined snow with temperatures like this ...

I frequent Barrow Alaska, and various sites in ND, and we tie them.  It's -2 here with .25 vis in blowing dust and S-.  It's an unusual winter getting those climes down this way.  I was stunned when the NAM suggested this two nights ago, and here we are.    

Remember this ... because in years to come, you might just say, "remember that one storm, back in early 2014, when it was below zero and snowed a foot?"

Archived