clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
January 2nd/3rd Storm Observations

Bostonseminole

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

850 circulation beginning to get going and also seeing some increase in 700-500mb frontogenesis

850mb_sf.gif?1388722435227

75ft_sf.gif?1388722451221

Wiz good post

The general slow moving nature of this storm is refreshing this year.

Everyone's ground will be covered and its bone chilling cold, i certainly would have my patience tested in s pym county but mannnn look at what is going on right now, watch mid level centers and see what they do , just lets not give up at this point , just watch this awesome and rare display of arctic cold

Not saying this because it clobbers me but RAP has had a good handle on things to this point IMO.  It's kind of had it not doing a ton down here...let's see. 

Still this enormous screw zone either side of the canal extending all the way down Buzzards Bay.  Been there all day.

Wiz good post

The general slow moving nature of this storm is refreshing this year.

Everyone's ground will be covered and its bone chilling cold, i certainly would have my patience tested in s pym county but mannnn look at what is going on right now, watch mid level centers and see what they do , just lets not give up at this point , just watch this awesome and rare display of arctic cold

I don't think I can carry the torch tonight, just not feeling it.  Hoping to wake up to a pleasant surprise of what's been forecast but I don't think I can sit here for another 2-3 hours watching snow bands fall apart as they approach.

Getting it good right now from about exit 4 to exit 6 on Rte 3.  Nice long fetch band.

Not saying this because it clobbers me but RAP has had a good handle on things to this point IMO.  It's kind of had it not doing a ton down here...let's see. 

Still this enormous screw zone either side of the canal extending all the way down Buzzards Bay.  Been there all day.

That's the subsidence that was supposed to be in Essex county  :lol:

Not saying this because it clobbers me but RAP has had a good handle on things to this point IMO. It's kind of had it not doing a ton down here...let's see.

Still this enormous screw zone either side of the canal extending all the way down Buzzards Bay. Been there all day.

Harvey still had you at 15+". Hmmmmmm.

Harv just said that Boston will probably make it below zero...first time that he can ever recall Boston being below zero during a snowstorm.

He also was spewing that crap about ratios being related to temperature.....not sure why..maybe just trying to be simplistic for the laymen...

I cannot find a storm this cold (a real storm not like a clipper) going back to 1950...I haven't looked further back, but this is pretty a pretty special set of conditions right now.

Sfc temps obviousl don;t have a huge impact on snow growth, but there is a covariance of sfc temps to ML temps...i.e. very cold sfc temps are often associated with decent snow growth...particularly along the E coast of MA due to OES enhancement, so its probably easier to just explain it that way than try and explain that arctic sfc temps mean we'll see low level lift produce dendrites at 900mb.

It's just snow....I was just hoping for some good rates. You can see yet another cake hole opening up in SE MA. I don't get it, reminds me of the event last year where RI got donated.

There's been some weird shadowing all day and night in the same area that's effected a few posters here.

Main roads still pretty much bare around here. LOL.

Yeah your right, it's just so stubborn to fill in down towards you. It does remind me a little of the RI screw zone..... Just relentless.

That's the subsidence that was supposed to be in Essex county  :lol:

I don't think it's really subsidence.  I think it's the trajectory of winds preventing any real organization/injection of lowest level moisture.  It's just enough to interfere...note the band just north of me that trails back NORTH of Provincetown.  Inside of the Bay you can't get anything really organized on these winds and the boost has been very minimal.  Without that boost....we're just left with the same snows falling way inland. 

Harvey still had you at 15+". Hmmmmmm.

I think there's an assumption that there is already more snow here than there is based on listening to all of them at 11.   The main roads are mainly bare, visibilities are 3/4+ even with the blowing/drifting snow.  As each hour ticks by with little to show for it the needed accumulations per hour over the next 6-9 hours spikes.  Like I said I just don't see it happening.

I've measured in the wind a ton over the last 10-12 years here.  I almost always come in under or on the NWS employee numbers nearby.  If there is 3" here I'd be shocked. 

We're still not close to verifying a blizzard anywhere down along here.  Hopefully later.

Meh'd my way to 5.1'' with very light snow. Went out in a t-shirt and honestly it just doesn't feel that remarkably cold.

I measured about 6" when I got home at 11. You can tell the ratios aren't as good as they were down at work (Andover). Sure its fluff but its a lot more compacted here. SG is still kinda crappy at home. -1F so atleast that's pretty cool.

Archived