• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Record Breaking Cold January 3-4 & 7-8 Discussion & Observations

bluewave

NYC may have done it tonight if we had the timing 3-4 hours earlier on this...the CAA is so strong that even with a W wind I think they'd have pulled it off, I could see it down to 2 or 3 possible around 7-8am but thats probably the lowest its gonna get.

We are probably in an era with a return period of below zero temperatures in NYC of ~40 years as well.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NYC may have done it tonight if we had the timing 3-4 hours earlier on this...the CAA is so strong that even with a W wind I think they'd have pulled it off, I could see it down to 2 or 3 possible around 7-8am but thats probably the lowest its gonna get.

It will be interesting to see if the DC area stations dip below 0.

Throughout the day, readings were generally higher than the MOS guidance except for the Great Lakes and Ohio Valley regions. This may have implied that the core of the cold was a little north of what had been modeled. Tonight, readings have been beating the MOS in such cities as Allentown, Baltimore, Detroit, Harrisburg, Toledo, and Washington, DC. As a result, NYC might have a shot at coming in a degree or two colder than the 8° reading reached on 1/4.

Does anyone know KNYC's record low max for tomorrow? Temps are really starting to plummet, but it's still gonna be tough for the park to get below 20 or so by midnight. Single digits and low teens are pushing into eastern PA now, but those numbers probably won't be into the NYC metro area until 1-2am at the earliest IMO. 

10 degrees in 90 minutes. NYC could actually be close to 17 by midnight at this rate

I am already at 16 in Brooklyn with a wind chill of -4 and dropping FAST. Average WNW wind of 20 MPH with gusts of 40 MPH can get me real close to 0 if this drop rate keeps up. Crossing my fingers. Would be an excellent surprise if I drop below zero, even if it's like -0.1.

I'm telling you guys right now, if I get to -0.1 or lower by the morning, I am literally going to go outside with no coat and celebrate this arctic milestone with a glass of wine for 5 minutes.

Edit - Wow, down to 15 now as I finished typing this.

Archived