• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

No one forecasted a great SNOW pattern , we all said this was a great 2 - 3 week pattern .

In total we should finish with a 10 day period which averages about 15 below normal ( quite cold )

and including today there has been between 10 to 15 inches of snow inside a week in most places

Now if you were expecting more than that , shouldnt have . We live near a coastal plain at 40 N

No cold pattern EVER is wire to wire and COLD doesnt equal Snow .

So if FEB is wet not white , that happens in NYC

That's a cop out. The mets and general consensus of folks have raved over this period and told us to "strap in" and be charged with excitement. If there is little snow and a lot of rain after this weekend, it's an epic let down compared to the meteorological hype that has been spewed the past three weeks or so.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a cop out. The mets and general consensus of folks have raved over this period and told us to "strap in" and be charged with excitement. If there is little snow and a lot of rain after this weekend, it's an epic let down compared to the meteorological hype that has been spewed the past three weeks or so.

IDK...the area just had a major snowstorm...a small snowstorm...and near record cold...it seems a good deal of the "hype" was justifiable...plus there are six days left in January.

IDK...the area just had a major snowstorm...a small snowstorm...and near record cold...it seems a good deal of the "hype" was justifiable...plus there are six days left in January.

I hear you William and am not trying to be contentious. Just trying to say that it the first half of Feb is wet with rain or dry, it's clearly counter to what we have read the past few weeks. Does not discredit the prognostications for last storm (1/22) and the cold for sure...

I hear you William and am not trying to be contentious. Just trying to say that it the first half of Feb is wet with rain or dry, it's clearly counter to what we have read the past few weeks. Does not discredit the prognostications for last storm (1/22) and the cold for sure...

TWT...often progs for exceptional cold & snow come out 3 weeks in advance...then they back off...and then...as the time frame in question nears....they again become bullish on the idea of cold & snow...showing the original long range forecast to be correct...weather, as you know, is a long way from an exact science.

I don't know, 16.1" snow and counting with bitterly cold temps for a week has me pretty strapped in. I could care a less what the operational runs show. Currently global teliconnectors point to a brief warmup, like three days then we reload with -EPO and -AO, read up on what Don S and the others have been saying, especially what the OPI guys from Italy have been saying for Feb.

I don't know, 16.1" snow and counting with bitterly cold temps for a week has me pretty strapped in. I could care a less what the operational runs show. Currently global teliconnectors point to a brief warmup, like three days then we reload with -EPO and -AO, read up on what Don S and the others have been saying, especially what the OPI guys from Italy have been saying for Feb.

Fair enough and maybe an admitted NW bitterness of late kicking in, but that 1/21 storm was a bonus given guidance up to a day or two before and there has been an inordinate amount of honking for late Jan up through mid Feb. just calling it how I see it, that if we see very little snow action the next three weeks, it's a major letdown compared to what I've read. Here's to hoping they were right all along!!

Fair enough and maybe an admitted NW bitterness of late kicking in, but that 1/21 storm was a bonus given guidance up to a day or two before and there has been an inordinate amount of honking for late Jan up through mid Feb. just calling it how I see it, that if we see very little snow action the next three weeks, it's a major letdown compared to what I've read. Here's to hoping they were right all along!!

Gradient pattern will favor you guys for sure.

I caution everyone to get too excited about this one. We still need a hundreds of miles shift west for this to be anything meaningful, even for eastern sections. Fun to follow, but expectations should be very low. Some positive trends for sure, at H5. Stronger vort now has separation from the previous vort and is digging more. PV is retreating more quickly. But the troublesome trend is this kicker that is dropping down as the storm is gathering down south. That kicker means business and is already modeled as very strong. 

I'm losing interest in the mid-week period. gefs show the atlantic ridging briefly linking up with the arctic ridging, and I think that might slow down the departure of the pv and the mid-week sw gets squashed. I hope I'm wrong of course. I think around friday is looking more interesting when the pv is able to retreat a bit more. We'll see what happens

post-4973-0-72760500-1390739507_thumb.gi

9z Srefs continue big west trend. .1 line traverses SNJ and touches eastern li.

9z

sref_namer_087_precip_p24.gif

3z

21z

People overlooked this but exactly a week ago the 9z SREFs were the first to shift west, could that kicker at 500mb be displaced?

lets hope they're onto something again. losing this system that has TONS of potential would be kick to the plums!

Only diff I see so far is that there is a closed 500mb Low In Mexico. I have no idea of the implications with that

It would be good to get STJ interaction into the system, though it's probably not good that it's so strong. Decreases the chances of a phase down the road. Other than that, some other noticeable changes. The lead vort is weaker, which argues for a flatter solution. But the kicker is a bit slower, which argues for a more amplified solution. Just shows how many variables there are to be worked out.

Archived