Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slp is in canada so I don't buy it...looks more like a fropa to me when looped.

We get snow and warm into the 30s but the arctic air returns next Monday..basically a 40 degree turnaround from what the gfs showed yesterday

arctic air retirns vua the fropa...I have the flu sorry if I am repeating myself. I suppose it can be looked at as a northern displaced clipper.

That's true, but the effects will be fleeting after the end of January if we go COD again.

The Pacific retrogression will drop the PNA and allow the SE ridge to potentially become

a player like the JMA is showing for February. The blocking is more polar like the Euro, but we 

can get lucky if a piece of the ridge migrates over closer to the Davis Strait at least briefly

sometime in February. The current forecast of below normal temperatures through 

February 2-3 is in line with the MJO forecast.

attachicon.gifECMF_phase_MANOM_51m_small.gif

attachicon.gifpost-564-0-14465800-1389876898.png

I found the ECMWF too weak as well. That JMA forecast should be treated with skepticism. Since the JMA ensemble show more MJO progression into phase 8:

21mbwjm.jpg

http://www.americanwx.com/raleighwx/MJO/MJO/FebruaryPhase7500mb.gif

Anyone following the wind/rainstorm (980mb. but to our west)showing up for the SuperBowl. This could easily adjust to a snowstorm. Super cold air is injested and sucked in to this system as it leaves--- near 0 again for 2/3,4?

Too far off at this point. The gfs has been clueless in the 7-10 day range..forget 14 days

I found the ECMWF too weak as well. That JMA forecast should be treated with skepticism. Since the JMA ensemble show more MJO progression into phase 8:

21mbwjm.jpg

http://www.americanwx.com/raleighwx/MJO/MJO/FebruaryPhase7500mb.gif

That's not the same JMA used in monthly forecasts which has been on a roll

since it nailed the trough progression back in November.

November 17th Dec and Jan forecast:

The GFS operational s LR pattern is very similar to what the Euro ensembles look like which matches the look of FEB 500 MB

JMA monthly.

There's blocking accross from the NPAC thru Alaska over the pole and into W Greenland .This will

Keep you're source region air from the arctic and is not polar pacific air . Also there is a SE ridge

Which was a great pattern in Feb 94 , this look could create a nice baroclinic zone .

So you may start to see systems hopefully run out from from Amarillo to AC ( ala the wx maps for the SB ) .

Gone is the torch for next week , and like I've been saying for a week now this is a pattern with multiple events

Its not 1 and done and neither is the cold .

The GFS operational s LR pattern is very similar to what the Euro ensembles look like which matches the look of FEB 500 MB

JMA monthly.

There's blocking accross from the NPAC thru Alaska over the pole and into W Greenland .This will

Keep you're source region air from the arctic and is not polar pacific air . Also there is a SE ridge

Which was a great pattern in Feb 94 , this look could create a nice baroclinic zone .

So you may start to see systems hopefully run out from from Amarillo to AC ( ala the wx maps for the SB ) .

Gone is the torch for next week , and like I've been saying for a week now this is a pattern with multiple events

Its not 1 and done and neither is the cold .

We should transition to more of a gradient pattern after February 2-4 . But since we don't have cold of 94, we'll

run a little warmer maybe settling into a back and forth pattern finishing the month 0 to +1.5. We'll need weaker

storms to get front end thumps as stronger storms will cut once the retrograde in the Pacific and the PNA goes

neutral to negative.

We should transition to more of a gradient pattern after February 2nd. But since we don't have cold of 94, we'll

run a little warmer maybe settling into a back and forth pattern finishing the month 0 to +1.5. We'll need weaker

storms to get front end thumps as stronger storms will cut once the retrograde in the Pacific drops the PNA.

I like what Dec did and we were really 1 below until that 2 day torch. ,

1 below in Feb is just cold enough for me , with a NEG EPO and those higher heights over the top

I'm just hopping we can push enough low level cold air into W to E systems . You will open the jet underneath and the SE ridge flexes

If the baroclinic zone is in AC we are in business . North and we are not happy

I like what Dec did and we were really 1 below until that 2 day torch. ,

1 below in Feb is just cold enough for me , with a NEG EPO and those higher heights over the top

I'm just hopping we can push enough low level cold air into W to E systems . You will open the jet underneath and the SE ridge flexes

If the baroclinic zone is in AC we are in business . North and we are not happy

The timing reminds me of 2011 where we had snow and cold the end of January with the pattern shift

occurring with the Groundhog Day storm. The strongest MJO wave of that winter like this one was

right around this week before we went COD for February. Notice how the greatest amplitude was also

in Phase 7 like now. Obviously, we are missing the epic Atlantic blocking from November into

January that winter.

With the coming cold, will probobly be running a -3.5 degree or so departure by the end of the week. With more cold coming after that ,could be an impressively cold month.

It looks like NYC will finish January in the upper 20's with the new average being 32.6 for January.

Just have to say, enjoy the "warm" weather today because it's done for a long time. We're talking some major ice and snow build up for some time to come, which could eventually lead to major ice jams. We may not touch freezing for a very long time, 10 or so days if not more (maybe briefly this weekend). 

Can't wait for most people to start complaining about how much cold and snow there is lol though I can't deny that it could cause several major problems. 

Anyone see ACE ?  

I think most of us knew that everyone relying on GFS surface maps touting cold and dry would eventually end up in trouble.  Earthlight has been deadly this winter, kudos to him. On a separate note, I'm going to the Rangers outdoor games at Yankee Stadium.  Both nights look bone chilling. Would be crazy to have it snow on one or both games!

I think most of us knew that everyone relying on GFS surface maps touting cold and dry would eventually end up in trouble.  Earthlight has been deadly this winter, kudos to him. On a separate note, I'm going to the Rangers outdoor games at Yankee Stadium.  Both nights look bone chilling. Would be crazy to have it snow on one or both games!

I tried to warn him . But it was all in good fun . Have a shot at one  at least .

Yea I'm going to the Islander/Ranger one. Gonna be cooold!

And ps Ace gracefully admitted defeat on the other board. No need to poke the bear lol.

Love ACE , he gave his reasoning , it was sound , could have easily broke his .

Models caught this in 36 hours , no one was on this a week ago  .

Yea I'm going to the Islander/Ranger one. Gonna be cooold!

And ps Ace gracefully admitted defeat on the other board. No need to poke the bear lol.

Ya I'll be at that one…and it's a night game  :shiver: .   Looks like we'll be dealing with a departing clipper.  wrt to ace…i was out of line. Sometimes the boards get the best of us.  When it comes down to it, it's just weather and it's what brings us all together…so if ur reading this, sorry ace…   

Archived