BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
December 21-22nd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About 9 hours of freezing rain for LAF on the GGEM, via the p-type maps, before it goes warm enough. Nice bubble of green over Alek's place for the most part. Best climate!

What a crappy model. 

Even with the different evolution on this run, it's been consistently quicker bringing in precip and that is not uncommon in WAA situations.  But even if the precip starts quicker, no guarantee that we'll be AOB freezing. 

Wow, that's a disaster. I admit I didn't look too closely at it but I was thinking we'd switch over to plain rain quicker on the GFS to avoid that.

About 9 hours of freezing rain for LAF on the GGEM, via the p-type maps, before it goes warm enough. Nice bubble of green over Alek's place, for the most part. Best climate!

What a crappy model.

lol. The Canadian model often has a warm bias, as I've said before.

The models this evening have a common theme... weak structure in the cold sector and modest snow amounts at best.

Yeah big dog snow potential overall seems to be crapping the bed with this one.  Still could get a decent snow somewhere, but a big snow is looking unlikely at this point.  Almost feels like we're tracking a storm in early April.

GGEM still adamant about it's ice storm idea.

There's a joke here somewhere about Canadians and ice and hockey or something

LOL, we Canadians love Hockey despite the Leafs losses of late  :cry:  

GFS/GGEM want to turn the 401 into the Rideau Canal.

LOL, awesome. Cant wait to play some ice hockey on the 401. Anyone want to partake? 

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html

The 0Z GGEM is all ice for the GTA with the rain staying south of us. Thats like how many runs in a row that it has showed an ice storm for us?  :whistle:

I'd toss the GGEM because I'm not liking its synoptic evolution but even the GFS has widespread 1-1.5" of ice which is fooked up.

Even with the different evolution on this run, it's been consistently quicker bringing in precip and that is not uncommon in WAA situations.  But even if the precip starts quicker, no guarantee that we'll be AOB freezing. 

Should be pretty minor if anything does happen here at all. But, it'd be nice to get a little "wintry" action before the washout begins I suppose.

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html

The 0Z GGEM is all ice for the GTA with the rain staying south of us. Thats like how many runs in a row that it has showed an ice storm for us?  :whistle:

Yeah, i just saw that. The GGEM was taking forever to load for some reason. It looks like more ice pellets than freezing rain, as per this run. Looks similar to the early April 2003 pellet storm.

I'd toss the GGEM because I'm not liking its synoptic evolution but even the GFS has widespread 1-1.5" of ice which is fooked up.

Well that depends, as its been consistent on its ice storm picture for the GTA for many runs now. Other models have followed suite to its "icy" idea. If we can work in some CAD its possible, but away from the Lake IMO. This storm will be a nightmare for many of us in the end. 

The Euro will be interesting. 

Archived