BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
December 21-22nd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The bad news is that the temp profiles still look pretty atrocious for snow unless you're pretty far north. 

Also not much qpf at all where 850 mb temps are cold enough for snow. This run would be a bigger threat for zr/ip for more of the LOT cwa. Much of northern IL away from Chicago remains below freezing during the heaviest precip.

Also not much qpf at all where 850 mb temps are cold enough for snow. This run would be a bigger threat for zr/ip for more of the LOT cwa. Much of northern IL away from Chicago remains below freezing during the heaviest precip.

so snow for all of us around Chicagoland, plain rain for Alek on the heat island.  Sounds about right. 

Part of the reason why I have issues with some TV  mets, or at least, those who produce the weather segment, is that kind of thing.  Channel 7 was pretty much saying things were still uncertain, but had "wintry mix" in their forecast for Saturday, and "Snow showers?" for Sunday....

I feel pretty fortunate because even though I am in a small town and my local TV station (WGEM out of Quincy) is small I feel like we have some pretty darn good on air Mets.  For the last two days they've cautioned about over doing it with the amounts and they are just doing a pretty good job in general of dissecting the situation.  They are also pretty great with severe weather.  I think we are lucky here.  

Well, in this case, the coldest air is going to right at the surface. As you gain elevation, temps will warm. So being on top of the escarpment will be a detriment rather than a help. That's why a place like Ottawa is so prone to heavy icing. It's in a valley.

I guess speaking strictly in terms of Hamilton, I'd rather be away from the NE winds off the warm Lk water, but I'm thinking Flamborough would be the best spot (more limited lake influence + less elevation).

This. I've lived it and know it.

god this is what makes this hobby so awesome. The twists and turns are unmatched.

This looks to be an edge of your seat thriller.

Yeah, soundings look incredibly tricky...even areas farther south like IKK flirt with freezing during quite a bit of the precip.

very close to punting this one...

1: the antecedent air mass is junk

2: southerly 850/700 vectors are incredible, even GHD with a real deal antecedent arctic airmass saw over performing WAA

3: the northern stream energy is weak...we aren't talking about a major arctic front. Grasping for straws talking point.

4. neg tilt troughs with a wide open gulf flow and east coast ridge always cut hard.

Snowstorm-wise, it's over and done with for Detroit. Rarely, given the synoptic setup, do these types of storms trend back to a favorable solution for Detroit from the pseudo-consensus presently. It can happen, but it's unlikely. 

But you guys in Chicago are still within a shiftable range for a decent snowstorm. It's way too early to think about punting. 

WxBell algorithm has been declared trash

Ehhh, IDK, InstantWxMaps is using categorical snow whereas WxBell is using water equivalent of accumulated snow. Categorical snow is instantaneous and only valid at each output time, so I would bet on the water equivalent being more accurate - assuming your removing the initial amount and the melting amount between each period.

WxBell algorithm has been declared trash

Ehhh, IDK, InstantWxMaps is using categorical snow whereas WxBell is using water equivalent of accumulated snow. Categorical snow is instantaneous and only valid at each output time, so I would bet on the water equivalent being more accurate - assuming your removing the initial amount and the melting amount between each period.

It's shown snow before in temp profiles that pretty clearly don't support it. Which is particularly relevant with this storm.

Not punting yet... but definitely on the field, with the ball under my arm, doing warm up kicks, just in case.

Question:  Post-storm, it's obvious arctic air moves in again, are we going to go cold and dry now, or, do we retain an active pattern? 

Snowstorm-wise, it's over and done with for Detroit. Rarely, given the synoptic setup, do these types of storms trend back to a favorable solution for Detroit from the pseudo-consensus presently. It can happen, but it's unlikely. 

But you guys in Chicago are still within a shiftable range for a decent snowstorm. It's way too early to think about punting. 

Would you say the same is true for Toronto?

Okay. 

What are Skilling's people thinking?  Looking at my WGN forecast app, I have the following:  Friday: Snow possible, high of 34.  Saturday: Snow Showers, high of 30.   Sunday, Sunny, high of 23

Channel 7, and Taft's crowd are saying:  Friday:  Cloudy ,36   Saturday, Rain/Snow 34,  Sunday: Rain/Snow 34.

How does Channel 9 figure that?

Yeah, soundings look incredibly tricky...even areas farther south like IKK flirt with freezing during quite a bit of the precip.

Illustration

Here is a NAM precip type map valid 03z Sunday.  For those who don't know where IKK is, it's about 40-50 miles due south of Chicago. 

post-14-0-56211600-1387423199_thumb.gif

32F contour is well northwest of there...no danger of ice, right?  Let's check the forecast sounding.

post-14-0-24979300-1387423218_thumb.png

Small residual pool of below freezing air above the surface with temps near the surface hovering very close to freezing.  Minor changes either way can be significant.

Okay. 

What are Skilling's people thinking?  Looking at my WGN forecast app, I have the following:  Friday: Snow possible, high of 34.  Saturday: Snow Showers, high of 30.   Sunday, Sunny, high of 23

Channel 7, and Taft's crowd are saying:  Friday:  Cloudy ,36   Saturday, Rain/Snow 34,  Sunday: Rain/Snow 34.

How does Channel 9 figure that?

Skilling is on in 5 minutes. I'm confident he's not going to say Sunday will be sunny.  

EDIT: The damn Bulls are on instead. Oh well. 

Archived