• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
December 21-22nd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

I haven't noticed the old "nw trend" as a dominant characteristic of the models in many a winter. Maybe pre-2007?

It seemed to disappear the last few years, but it's alive and kicking again.   Look at the last storm, rain made it all the way to Indy.   Lesson being learned here moving ahead.  It's inevitable that the greatest heartbreak will go to those in the southeast edges of the sweetspot outside of 48 hours....especially with storms out of the sw and gulf.

Please remind me of this next time the models are showing a spine runner with 15" across cmh....I don't care wtf the euro is saying.   

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy, am I glad I missed that run.. .whatever it was. 

I guess cleaning house, and doing dishes is worthwhile distraction at this point. Alek is right, however, lots of runs left, and, Gilbertfly also made a point that the other piece of this equation is still way out to sea. 

I am not making any final calls or otherwise.  I feel rather strongly this one could go either way for the northern edge of the subforum. I will wait patiently until the rest of this comes in, and we get a clearer picture. 

ECMWF Deterministic FORECAST FOR: YYZ    LAT=  43.67 LON=  -79.63 ELE=   568

12Z DEC18

2 M     850     SFC     SFC     700    6 HR     500    1000 

TMP     TMP     PRS     RHU     RHU     QPF     HGT     500 

©     ©    (MB)    (PCT)   (PCT)   (IN)    (DM)     THK 

SAT 18Z 21-DEC  -0.1    -1.6    1016      83      56    0.00     556     543    

SUN 00Z 22-DEC  -1.0     0.3    1017      93      59    0.01     559     546    

SUN 06Z 22-DEC  -1.9     1.7    1014      93     100    0.11     559     548    

SUN 12Z 22-DEC  -0.2     2.7    1005      96     100    0.86     557     553    

SUN 18Z 22-DEC   0.6     8.6    1000      94      84    0.44     554     555    

MON 00Z 23-DEC   7.9     1.9     996      78      17    0.10     546     549    

MON 06Z 23-DEC   0.7    -6.4    1005      79      45    0.00     545     541

Holy ZR. Another model run showing ridiculous amounts of ice. Over 1" of ice would be catastrophic for the GTA

Boy, am I glad I missed that run.. .whatever it was. 

I guess cleaning house, and doing dishes is worthwhile distraction at this point. Alek is right, however, lots of runs left, and, Gilbertfly also made a point that the other piece of this equation is still way out to sea. 

I am not making any final calls or otherwise.  I feel rather strongly this one could go either way for the northern edge of the subforum. I will wait patiently until the rest of this comes in, and we get a clearer picture. 

did you have a valium for lunch?

Holy ZR. Another model run showing ridiculous amounts of ice. Over 0.5" of ice would be catastrophic for the GTA

By catastrophic I presume you mean power outages and downed hydro lines? Wow, that would be bad news at any time, but just two days before Christmas Eve...

If this happens, expect the media to blame it on global warming (sorry for the brief OT)

Met Justin Monday night from the first storm thread-

"better hope that digging energy in the SW or Baja doesn't pump up to much of a ridge ahead of it...otherwise hello central/northern Iowa up into Western Wisconsin.  Hopefully we don't get to strong of a storm to soon for most of us."

By catastrophic I presume you mean power outages and downed hydro lines? Wow, that would be bad news at any time, but just two days before Christmas Eve...

If this happens, expect the media to blame it on global warming (sorry for the brief OT)

Transit would be completely out of service. Millions likely would be without power. Roads would be inaccessible.  

Man, even I have to admit that it's crazy that we've gone into meltdown over two model runs...and I'm usually one of the first to go into meltdown.

I'm rooting for plain rain at this point. I'd be surprised to see a substantial dump of snow out of this for YYZ. ZR potential right now is really, really scary and I would like to see that not happen.

The storm in early July of this year would be a pipsqueak in comparison to this.

Man, even I have to admit that it's crazy that we've gone into meltdown over two model runs...and I'm usually one of the first to go into meltdown.

I'm concerned that the northern piece of energy for this storm hasn't been fully sampled over the Pacific and that won't be until tomorrow night, I think. That may make the final solution colder than what's currently shown by the 12z GFS and Euro (make this into a pure ice storm). Let's see what happens in the next few days.

I'm concerned that the northern piece of energy for this storm hasn't been fully sampled over the Pacific and that won't be until tomorrow night, I think. That may make the final solution colder than what's currently shown by the 12z GFS and Euro (make this into a pure ice storm). Let's see what happens in the next few days.

I agree.

So while everyone decided to lose their minds over this model run, I actually decided to look and see why everything shifted West so substantially. It has everything to do with the northern stream piece of energy that for whatever reason has now slowed down several hundred miles this run, could that happen sure, but I wouldn't buy into the northern stream slowing down at this junction. We had that happen last storm around this time frame and it ended up being completely wrong because subsequent runs ended up quicker with the northern stream. Furthermore the bigger problem will be that this northern stream piece of energy won't get sampled fully until 48 to 60 hours from now. So expect more swings in the models. Could it even go further West sure, but knowing how the northern stream works in these situations I would expect this to correct right some.

So while everyone decided to lose their minds over this model run, I actually decided to look and see why everything shifted West so substantially. It has everything to do with the northern stream piece of energy that for whatever reason has now slowed down several hundred miles this run, could that happen sure, but I wouldn't buy into the northern stream slowing down at this junction. We had that happen last storm around this time frame and it ended up being completely wrong because subsequent runs ended up quicker with the northern stream. Furthermore the bigger problem will be that this northern stream piece of energy won't get sampled fully until 48 to 60 hours from now. So expect more swings in the models. Could it even go further West sure, but knowing how the northern stream works in these situations I would expect this to correct right some.

nice post stebo

truth...I will be keeping an eye on speed verification of the 12Z runs once we get around 00Z OBS time

Excellent post and I totally agree. Gilbertfly mentioned that it probably won't be until tomorrow night's model runs at the earliest when the northern stream energy is partially sampled. I think we should get a better picture by the 12z model runs on Friday or 00z Saturday (Friday night).

Archived