Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
CAD storms thread.

dsaur

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the only way I can see moisture being on the heavier side anywhere in NC

Make me wonder as well if the models have not handle this setup right. But I guess we shall see in the next 24 hours.... honestly I'd bet for slightly colder as well.

But in my opinion already a decent and powerful surface trough setting up along and east mountains.sfnt.gif?1386382371358

I generally like a GFS/Euro blend on QPF.  Hard to trust the NAM precip a lot of times...maybe it's good for following trends close to go time.

On temps, the NAM is noticeably warmer than the GFS in NC with respect to the wet-bulb zero line.  NAM barely has it crossing into NC in the northern Foothills while the GFS brings it all the way to the NC/SC border.  Normally the NAM is colder than the GFS, so this is a bit odd.  Maybe the NAM is handling the thermals better though since it should be more suited to handle the CAD specifics, but the GFS is good with damming too.  Hard to say.  A blend is probably better than either one individually.

True

Hey neighbor! -- just south of Virgilina in NC.  

I wonder if there will be enough moisture to give us much ice up in our corner of three NWS forecast areas!?  It's interesting having three to choose from ---  hard to say which one is closest to getting it right...  thoughts?

Considering you're location it will be about the same as this area. Interesting though to know there is another member on this board 15 miles up the road.

Is it just me or does it look like this is moving faster than first thought, and that precip gonna be about over with time sun gets here?

There are two separate systems.  The moisture you are seeing on the radar right now is not part of the cad event that has been talked about.  There will be another system coming from the SE tomorrow night.

Short term inhouse models that TV stations use. Brad Panovich and WXII12 uses it when its gets into range to my knowledge.

That's what I thought.  Those in house models change per second.  The short range models that are good to events are not even in range yet, most of those only go out to 15-21 hours.  I agree that the RAP, RUC, and HHHR are good to use when they get into their range.

Non-event. Cancel half the Winter Storm Watches. Limit the icing to Watauga, Ashe, Alleghany, and western Wilkes/Surry. Elsewhere needs to be downgraded to a freezing rain advisory for up to 0.1 .

don't tell me I started a useless obs thread? Dang it! I've been keeping up with Robert on all his updates, I knew he been riding the nam and it's probably going to pay off.

Hopefully when Wilkes forecast verifies he will be kind enough to post us some backyard pics.

Lol... he thinks he is so clever.. on another note its a shame this ridge wont allow the cold air to entrench itself deeper with the STJ going strong for the next few days, could have been a nice event for many

don't tell me I started a useless obs thread? Dang it! I've been keeping up with Robert on all his updates, I knew he been riding the nam and it's probably going to pay off.

Not a useless thread, just a lot of 33-35 and light rain/drizzle and a few ppl starring at the car roofs waiting for a pellet of sleet to bounce.

Ok, so things are trending drier below N VA. Why does the moisture look to be going North right into a high in PA. I always thought a High to close by would suppress the moisture South. I know that is what has happened several times here in NC in the past when a high was in VA the moisture would stay below NC in GA and SC.

That's what I thought.  Those in house models change per second.  The short range models that are good to events are not even in range yet, most of those only go out to 15-21 hours.  I agree that the RAP, RUC, and HHHR are good to use when they get into their range.

This particular one doesn't change per second I would classify it as more of a short range model. 

Still a minor to moderate event in places but not around I40. Need to be closer to Boone or Greensboro.

1460272_548038428622489_131106170_n.jpg

I'm talking about my backyard around I40. The extreme northern foothill counties may have more reason to report obs if they manage 0.25

I'm talking about my backyard around I40. The extreme northern foothill counties may have more reason to report obs if they manage 0.25

To be fair, our locations are different and even though we are both relative close to I-40, my location is wedge up against the blue ridge which tends to be ideal for CAD and is usually under done on the models, so like you, I am usually speaking for my backyard.

GFS coming in much drier like the NAM...

Now I think we have a solution to work with.

To be fair, our locations are different and even though we are both relative close to I-40, my location is wedge up against the blue ridge which tends to be ideal for CAD and is usually under done on the models, so like you, I am usually speaking for my backyard.

I could see that don't have all the knowledge on microclimates so wouldn't disagree there.

Archived