• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
CAD storms thread.

dsaur

Probably need to now then; there's a couple of us tracking the front through south Virginia. **as I type looks to setup right near Roanoke, then SE to between Farmville and South Hill, and then to Wakefield. This is from 8pm observations.

I'm sitting right at 70. Locations E/NE by 10-20 miles are 10-15 degrees colder already.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lynchburg down to 47,Martinsville is still 72.

I'm sitting right at 70. Locations E/NE by 10-20 miles are 10-15 degrees colder already.

Im slightly cooler than martinsville at 65 currently. Winds have begun to change here as well so the front is near or already passed through here. But under a WSW for freezing rain with the potential of .5" 

76 today and under a warning for Sunday. :huh:

i know it is a different from than the one bringing in the wedge, but there is another one in nw ga.  temps in the upper 60s ahead of the front and dropping to the low 50s just behind it, a lot of the highs were at or the low 70s. and ne ga and the upstate are caught in the middle lol.  looks like the backdoor front is doing something similar in western nc

i know it is a different from than the one bringing in the wedge, but there is another one in nw ga.  temps in the upper 60s ahead of the front and dropping to the low 50s just behind it, a lot of the highs were at or the low 70s. and ne ga and the upstate are caught in the middle lol.  looks like the backdoor front is doing something similar in western nc

Make me wonder as well if the models have not handle this setup right. But I guess we shall see in the next 24 hours.... honestly I'd bet for slightly colder as well.

But in my opinion already a decent and powerful surface trough setting up along and east mountains.sfnt.gif?1386382371358

To me it looks like I-85/I-40 and to the NW to NC mtns.

Thanks packbacker...

BTW, the back of our farm is in Person County, NC is in a WSW... 1 mile up the road, in Halifax County, VA it's a WSW.  Across the road in Granville County, NC, not even a Hazardous Weather Statement.  LOL.  

Take care all.

Thanks DaculaWeather - that maps shows it better than i said it

Make me wonder as well if the models have not handle this setup right. But I guess we shall see in the next 24 hours.... honestly I'd bet for slightly colder as well.

But in my opinion already a decent and powerful surface trough setting up along and east mountains.. Already a good surface trough axis from RIC to ATL

i dont know if i recall this situation (at least not in recent memory). usually we just have the colder air building in from the ne (a cold front moving in from the nw)...this time there seems to be a squeeze play.  not sure if there is thunder in the line, but its holding together as it moves into ne ga (i guess i will find out soon enough lol)

You've got to love the drama of the south and weather.  You've got some that have been hammered with winter weather,  I've been sweating working on the car in the 70's,  I'll be getting rain, and some will maybe be seeing ice soon...oh, and there's thunder too, for good measure :)  And it's not winter yet.  I mean you've got sun angle, and ground temps, and wooly worms, predictions for, predictions against...and in the end everybody is getting something whether they like it or not, lol.  Whatever this is, it beats the heck out of summer!  T

In NW GA just outside Chattanooga and our temp has dropped extremely fast from 54 to 42 with a forecast low of 38.

i know it is a different from than the one bringing in the wedge, but there is another one in nw ga. temps in the upper 60s ahead of the front and dropping to the low 50s just behind it, a lot of the highs were at or the low 70s. and ne ga and the upstate are caught in the middle lol. looks like the backdoor front is doing something similar in western nc

Thanks packbacker...

BTW, the back of our farm is in Person County, NC is in a WSW... 1 mile up the road, in Halifax County, VA it's a WSW.  Across the road in Granville County, NC, not even a Hazardous Weather Statement.  LOL.  

Take care all.

You near Virgilina or highway 96?

Thanks DaculaWeather - that maps shows it better than i said it

i dont know if i recall this situation (at least not in recent memory). usually we just have the colder air building in from the ne (a cold front moving in from the nw)...this time there seems to be a squeeze play.  not sure if there is thunder in the line, but its holding together as it moves into ne ga (i guess i will find out soon enough lol)

Right its going to be interesting to see how this plays out maybe warnings and wwa further south and east than first thought. That band of rain is holding good looks wet here later tonight. If the GGEM is right I might be up ship creek without a paddle.

Right its going to be interesting to see how this plays out maybe warnings and wwa further south and east than first thought. That band of rain is holding good looks wet here later tonight. If the GGEM is right I might be up ship creek without a paddle.

wouldnt that be nice lol.  its hard not to be a little optimistic since low temps for sat. have been dropped a little more to the mid 30s and rain.  mby is in one of the better ne ga cad locations apparently (who knew when i moved here :) and i have seen more than a couple of times just a tad more push of cold air can give a little glaze here. in any event as tony said this has not been a dull period of weather - you never know in the se

too bad the mtns hold back the cold air a little for ne ga and the upstate.  those colder temps would be useful for cad

I generally like a GFS/Euro blend on QPF.  Hard to trust the NAM precip a lot of times...maybe it's good for following trends close to go time.

On temps, the NAM is noticeably warmer than the GFS in NC with respect to the wet-bulb zero line.  NAM barely has it crossing into NC in the northern Foothills while the GFS brings it all the way to the NC/SC border.  Normally the NAM is colder than the GFS, so this is a bit odd.  Maybe the NAM is handling the thermals better though since it should be more suited to handle the CAD specifics, but the GFS is good with damming too.  Hard to say.  A blend is probably better than either one individually.

Hey neighbor! -- just south of Virgilina in NC.  

I wonder if there will be enough moisture to give us much ice up in our corner of three NWS forecast areas!?  It's interesting having three to choose from ---  hard to say which one is closest to getting it right...  thoughts?

I think it is time for the obvs thread......  Big Frosty, you're in a prime spot.....bring us some mojo. I think you need to start the thread.

Big Frosty:

I would but I'm on vacation in Pigeon Forge Tennessee right now going home probably late tomorrow night if it looks serious enough? was going home Sunday

Ok..... someone with the mojo fire away.

Archived