Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
CAD storms thread.

dsaur

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how can there be a bust if I ice was never forecast for your area?

What happened to the NAM and CMC doing the best during CAD events? I see they have caved to the European and GFS. This is proof that people were hugging the models that showed the coldest solutions.

Notice all the models were consistently showing a significant event for Dallas and look what is happening there.

What happened to the NAM and CMC doing the best during CAD events? I see they have caved to the European and GFS. This is proof that people were hugging the models that showed the coldest solutions.

Notice all the models were consistently showing a significant event for Dallas and look what is happening there.

How has the NAM caved to the GFS?  In fact, they've each gone to the opposite conclusion:  The NAM is now dry and the GFS is wet, yet both are still quite cold.

The CMC has remained consistent in its portrayal of "Armageddon" ice totals.

How has the NAM caved to the GFS?  In fact, they've each gone to the opposite conclusion:  The NAM is now dry and the GFS is wet, yet both are still quite cold.

The CMC has remained consistent in its portrayal of "Armageddon" ice totals.

It'll probably end up somewhere in the middle of the NAM and GFS. That's usually how it plays out, somewhere in the middle of all the models.

The NAM handles surface temps well during CAD events. And is notoriously bad with QPF amounts. The GFS,CMC, and EURO all support an icing event in northern/ NW NC. Nobody's hugging a specific model. Obviously as winter weather lovers we talk about a model that shows a more extreme solution. But the idea of a possibly significant ice storm for CAD areas of NC into VA has been on the models for days.

CMC hasn't caved to anybody.  Still showing same solution it did 7 days ago

Yeah, it's been very consistent......it's anybody's guess as to the level of icing at this point. We have known all along that this one's going to be close. As myself and many others on the forum have pointed out, it will depend on the placement and strength of that high to our north. That's what we should be focused on....... the precip totals are secondary at this stage.

12z GFS has initialized....... we are getting down to the time when these runs become more important and the trends of the models over next 24 hours will determine the final outcome of Sunday's weather. Will the Canadian show a warmer solution or will the others trend colder? That should be resolved today or tonight.

The NAM handles surface temps well during CAD events. And is notoriously bad with QPF amounts. The GFS,CMC, and EURO all support an icing event in northern/ NW NC. Nobody's hugging a specific model. Obviously as winter weather lovers we talk about a model that shows a more extreme solution. But the idea of a possibly significant ice storm for CAD areas of NC into VA has been on the models for days.

I guess the best thing to do is to take in account all the strengths and weaknesses of the models and then base the forecast on a blend of that. So, the NAM handles the temps better, then we rely on it more for the temps. The other models are better on getting the amount of precip right, so we look at it more for that. And if you blend them all together, it looks like there is potential for icing here. Now, I think showing potential is the best they can really do. The way it actually turns out could go either way here because a lot of times there is something that throws a hitch in things once the event starts that usually means less of a winter event. That is why it is so hard to forecast winter events in my area. The models show the potential, but it can end up going either way. Usually, it ends up being less of an event, though, than it being more of a bigger deal than forecasted. It is really rare that the forecast is exactly on point. I think that is why the local mets here try to give themselves some leeway and make sure to talk about potential, the possibility, and say things like if this or that happens when it comes to winter weather here.

Bottom line. Read more, post less. It seems you only post to take some pot shot at those who are actually posting about the storm (well outside of Brick). The fact is, you live in Waycross GA, your experience with cold air damming probably consists of a visit up to Athens one time. It's very simple experience tells us that typically models do not handle CAD well and often it is colder than what is being depicted. It seems most have taken a very realistic approach to this system with many feeling there won't be anything major. However there are real reasons to take this seriously as it could over perform. Again, read more and please post less. 

That should probably wait until later tonight or in the morning. When the cold air begins reaching our east Tenn. posters.

Why? East TN will get nothing but rain from this. 

West TN is getting hammered with ice right now and will for most of the day with a second round tomorrow into Sunday.

I thought we had some Nashville posters. 35 degrees there its on the doorstep for a little icing.

I think most of the Nashville posters are over at TennesseeWX.  Amos said he was in town for the event, maybe he'll chime in on some obs.  NAM suggests up to a 1/4 inch possible for BNA but they will be right on the border.

Archived