Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
CAD storms thread.

dsaur

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allan's maps have inspired me to set up centos and gempak over on another computer to try to make some fun stuff.  I came across a nice decoded .gem set that updates really quickly.. too bad i don't have a university source for LDM.  Anywayy..

Your thoughts look great Allan.  The GGEM hasn't let go and refuses to budge really as other guidance comes closer to it today. :)

I agree with everyone, it's always a good day when you stop by Allan and give your thoughts. I'm starting to get a little worried though as we've seen this play out before. We keep getting colder as we move towards the event only for it to be even colder and the wedge stay longer during the event. That is my one worry now. 

I believe that is what happened on this date back in 02.

Allan appreciate your input very solid and detailed synopsis! Haven't had an ice storm since I lived in CT back in dec of 08 we got I believe 1 1/4-1 1/2" and it was a complete nightmare no power for a week. Granted it won't be nearly as bad however nonetheless anything over a 1/3 for me starts getting me on edge. Love them but hate them lol

I believe that is what happened on this date back in 02.

I lived in Cary back during the December 5-6 2002 Ice Storm.

Far different setup

It was in the mid 20s during the event

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20021204/

Joe Bastardi also 3 days before the event sent this out to his pro subscribers:

"If you are in the NW NC and NC Piedmont, you better be on your knees praying for a snow or sleet storm rather than an Ice Storm"

The event started off as a quick burst of snow enough to cover the ground, then quickly went to freezing rain.

I lived in Cary back during the December 5-6 2002 Ice Storm.

Far different setup

It was in the mid 20s during the event

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20021204/

Joe Bastardi also 3 days before the event sent this out to his pro subscribers:

"If you are in the NW NC and NC Piedmont, you better be on your knees praying for a snow or sleet storm rather than an Ice Storm"

The event started off as a quick burst of snow enough to cover the ground, then quickly went to freezing rain.

I thought before the event started unfolding that it was forecasted to not be much of anything, but the temps got colder than forecasted. I could be wrong.

Gsp disco

The sref plume diagrams show over a half inch of freezing rain at Boone and about 2 tenths of inch of ice at Hickory. As is typical...the GFS is a little warmer. It/S also a little drier. In fact...the amount of precipitation that the GFS has over The Wedge wouldn/T be sufficient for damaging ice accumulations while the NAM and Canadian have closer to a half inch of liquid precipitation. The European model (ecmwf) just came in and it supports the lower values of the GFS. I/ve increased the amount of freezing rain considerably along the NC Blue Ridge...the western foothills and the upper French Broad valley late Sat night and Sunday morning. We are still dealing with a late 5th period and 6th period event and it/S way too early to issue watches. Also...the unusually warm middle level thicknesses and the global model/S recent trend toward lower quantitative precipitation forecast add to the forecast uncertainty. However...the overall trend looks to support some amount of freezing rain over our northern zones early Sunday. And if the heavier quantitative precipitation forecast were to verify we could even see damaging accumulations of ice.

i guess no one  is talking about about today's forcast was 77? it's not even close with scatterd rain an cloud cover . what does this mean if anything who knows but too me if the temps are 10 degrees cooler than forcasted  big deal maybe ?

i guess no one  is talking about about today's forcast was 77? it's not even close with scatterd rain an cloud cover . what does this mean if anything who knows but too me if the temps are 10 degrees cooler than forcasted  big deal maybe ?

Feels like a late June morning.  Throw some sunshine in there and you'd probably hit 80!

TW

Archived