Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
CAD storms thread.

dsaur

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Summary of the afternoon models.. GFS trended back colder but not has cold as the Canadian and Euro.  Canadian by far the coldest model with decent snows in VA before changing to ice and Euro shows pretty good ice storm for VA possibly including N NC.  Then cold reloads for mid-week..

IMO - I still think the models are having a hard time handling the cold and will come into better agreement by this time tomorrow.  I'm still hedging on temperatures trending colder..

This air mass is of true arctic origin and is always underplayed by the models.....If the high is as strong as the models are suggesting, then it's going to be an icy mess from GSO (possibly further south) through S. Va. I've got a very close eye on this one. Then, whenever this much cold is lurking in the center of the country, like next week, you have to be ready for something big to happen between the two competing air masses!!

This air mass is of true arctic origin and is always underplayed by the models.....If the high is as strong as the models are suggesting, then it's going to be an icy mess from GSO (possibly further south) through S. Va. I've got a very close eye on this one. Then, whenever this much cold is lurking in the center of the country, like next week, you have to be ready for something big to happen between the two competing air masses!!

Post of the YEAR!!!!

Very meh after seeing the euro/gfs/cmc. 

From what I gather from the euro/gfs...Afternoon freezing rain threat in northern NC with melting overnight or even before dark in some places. Extension into the southern Piedmont Triad brief and transit if this does not trend colder.

CMC...absolute trash. So biasly cold...as WxSouth mentioned this model had a wintry mix in parts of Florida. I don't bother looking at this model to confirm this tho so take fwiw.

Still a few days left for things to trend colder. But that's just speculation.

From Raleigh...

A COLD AIR DAMMING EVENT SHOULD BEGIN TO QUICKLYEVOLVE SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY.  THIS WILL BE ACCENTUATED BY ANUPPER TROUGH DIGGING THROUGH THE CENTRAL US AND A SURFACE LOW MOVINGACROSS THE MIDWEST AND GREAT LAKES ON SUNDAY.  MUCH COLDER TEMPSFALLING THROUGH THE 40S ON SATURDAY WILL BOTTOM OUT IN THE LOW TOMID 30S SATURDAY NIGHT AND LIKELY HOLD IN THE 30S ON SUNDAY.  AS THESURFACE HIGH...WHICH SHOULD BE PROGRESSIVE...MOVES OVER THENORTHEAST US...1000-850MB THICKNESSES MAY HOVER AROUND 1300M AND THEWETBULB FREEZING LINE MAY MEANDER AROUND THE NORTHWEST PIEDMONTSUNDAY MORNING. THIS WILL NEED TO BE MONITORED WITH SUBSEQUENT MODELRUNS...BUT OVERALL CONDITIONS DONT LOOK FAVORABLE FOR MORE THANBRIEF FREEZING RAIN.

From Greenville

BY SATURDAY MORNING...WITH COLD FRONT LIFTING INTO NEW ENGLAND...ASPRAWLING AREA OF CANADIAN HIGH PRESSURE (AROUND 1040 MB) WILL BEGINOOZING INTO THE NORTHEAST/MID-ATLANTIC STATES...WITH COLD AIRBEGINNING TO FUNNEL DOWN THE EASTERN SEABOARD IN COLD AIR DAMMINGONSET SCENARIO. TEMPS SHOULD FALL RATHER QUICKLY ACROSS THE AREASATURDAY AFTERNOON/EVENING SUCH THAT BY SUNDAY MORNING...TEMPS MAYBE AROUND FREEZING ACROSS THE BLUE RIDGE AREAS OF NORTH CAROLINA...AND PERHAPS ACROSS THE NORTHWEST PIEDMONT. MEANWHILE...ANOTHER SHORTWAVE IS PROGGED TO LIFT OUT OF THE SOUTHERN PLAINS...INDUCINGCYCLOGENESIS ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST. THE LATEST GLOBAL MODEL GUIDANCEHAS CONTINUED ITS WARMING TREND OF THE PAST 24 HOURS...WITH THE GFSPARTIAL THICKNESS PROGS NOW OFFERING LITTLE SUPPORT FOR WINTRYPRECIP...AND THE ECMWF HAVING WARMED SUCH THAT IT IS VERY SIMILAR TOYESTERDAY/S GFS. THE MIDNIGHT SHIFT BACKED OFF THE MENTION OFFREEZING RAIN ACROSS PORTIONS OF WESTERN NC QUITE A BIT. I/MRELUCTANT TO BACK OFF ANY FURTHER...AS THERE IS ALWAYS A CONCERNTHAT THE GLOBAL MODELS ARE DOING A POOR JOB OF MODELING THE CAD.NEVERTHELESS...THE ECMWF/GFS EACH INDICATE A MIGRANT PARENTHIGH...AND THE AREA OF LOW PRESSURE THAT IS EXPECTED TO PASS WEST OFTHE APPALACHIANS AND LIFT TOWARD THE GREAT LAKES MONDAY NIGHT BOTHARGUE FOR A CAD EROSION SCENARIO BY THE END OF SUNDAY. ALL THINGSCONSIDERED...THE SIGNALS AND TRENDS IN THE GUIDANCE DO NOT SUPPORT AMAJOR ICING EVENT...ESPECIALLY SINCE THE HEAVIEST PRECIP SHOULD FALLWEST OF THE AREA ACROSS THE TENN VALLEY. WE WILL CONSIDER ADDING AMENTION OF ADVISORY LEVEL ICING IN THE HWO FOR SUNDAY...BUTCONFIDENCE IS BARELY AT THE REQUISITE 30 PERCENT LEVEL ATTM.

My 2 nieces are having a baby shower Sunday afternoon in western Lincoln county. Folks are driving 40 from the triangle and up 321 from the Charlotte area. Anybody think there might be some road issues?

TW

Most likely not. Trees might be pretty in spots. Just too warm this week and road surfaces are going to warm up prior to the event. Need for it to be colder at the event and longer.

The 18z GFS is a decent bit colder, FWIW.

I actually think this time the models are underplaying this and more of is will end up with a nasty ice storm than we think. I personally think down fo the upstate of Sc Charlotte and over to Raleigh will be in the game. playing the cold air. This air is truly arctic and even cross polar in origen. More of us may be surprised.

I don't look at 18z GFS for much more than trends usually.  Continues to trend colder.. Looks more in line with the Euro/CMC this run.  Interesting to see tonight's 00z runs..  I would not rule out anything for those of you in NC CAD areas right now.  For Roanoke, I am still thinking snow, sleet, to freezing rain. 

Well, I always look to the rain first, and it's been raining in the cursed lands.  I'm up to .8 since yesterday morning, better than double what the gfs was offering.  I had some really nice showers with this warm front.  To me that bodes well for the upcoming events, if there is any cold...and there generally is after it gets record warm nearing winter :)

Fair warning...if I get the impression starting threads will get me rain...I'll get to some full on crazy Wilkesing.  Oh, yeah, I will.....there will be more potential ice storms than there are  birds!!  T

That's close to .4" zr for GSO. Hmmmmmmm.

TW

Looking at that map I posted, leads me to believe that CLT could possibly get in on the deal also.. if the CAD happens to be a tad underdone.

Rob Hart has been generating these maps for a very long time, and their resolution should be correct.  The trace amount shown in the tip of SC is a bit worrisome for the Upstate also.

Looking at that map I posted, leads me to believe that CLT could possibly get in on the deal also.. if the CAD happens to be a tad underdone.

Rob Hart has been generating these maps for a very long time, and their resolution should be correct.  The trace amount shown in the tip of SC is a bit worrisome for the Upstate also.

If it gets started it won't stop there.   If we start trending colder.  I'd always go with underdone, rather than over done....just to be safe :)  And there's nw Ala. again.  That oozing cold trying to get over the lower end of the Apps.   T

The DGEX shifted way north at 18z. Normally, that's a decent indicator as to what to expect with the 0z GFS, in my experience.

Are you implying that the DGEX will lead the way with this one??? ........Not a chance.... Now, I am not saying that we will have a crippling ice storm, but the DGEX is not a model that you should be putting any weight in. We have all learned that lesson many, many times. You know better than that.

Are you implying that the DGEX will lead the way with this one??? ........Not a chance.... Now, I am not saying that we will have a crippling ice storm, but the DGEX is not a model that you should be putting any weight in. We have all learned that lesson many, many times. You know better than that.

In Feb of 2010, I remember the over-amplified/southern DGEX's week earlier solution finally verifying on the SC snow storm.  That's about all I remember about it being good.  Not sure why NCEP puts the resources into the model.  I know their DGEX page itself (at the ncep servers) is maintained by a single person and really never changed around anymore.  I still think the computer resources to generate the grib files and all that are pointless though.

I might try and make a meteogram script for the model and see just how horrible it is with intricate details.  :)

Archived