Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
December 2013 obs and discussion

Ian

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We could have highs in the 60's for a couple days centered around the 20-21st. I'm surprised Ian isn't chain posting about this.

I hadn't looked. I'll start a thread where we can all weenie out over if.

We could have highs in the 60's for a couple days centered around the 20-21st. I'm surprised Ian isn't chain posting about this. 

YES! I have 20+ people coming to my house on the 21st so having warm temps would be great so people don't have to spend all the time inside.

I was surprised at the lack of melting in my neighborhood. Pretty much nothing on the ground at Andrews this afternoon. 25-30 miles makes a big difference.

Good to hear, I was worried about the status of my snowpack.  One benefit of the really crappy ratio snows we get is that it is tougher to get rid of.

Radiational cooling can be stark. I work about a mile from KOV, Winchester. My car thermometer is usually right with a margin of error of maybe one degree, compared with the airport. Those in Frederick co will know where I am talking about, but driving from Winchester out into the rural western part of the county (via cedar creek grade), you don't have to drive but a few miles to see a dramatic drop in temperatures....especially with snow cover. It's common to see a drop of 5-10 degrees. I get to work about sunrise, so I also observe some of the lowest temperature readings in the morning. Today, with 6-8 inches of snow pack, the lowest reading I saw was 10 degrees, on barley lane It was 18 when I drove by the airport at 7 am. It was already 17 degrees, about an hour ago; it will be interesting to see how low it is tomorrow morning. I would think 5-10 degrees.

Radiational cooling can be stark. I work about a mile from KOV, Winchester. My car thermometer is usually right with a margin of error of maybe one degree, compared with the airport. Those in Frederick co will know where I am talking about, but driving from Winchester out into the rural western part of the county (via cedar creek grade), you don't have to drive but a few miles to see a dramatic drop in temperatures....especially with snow cover. It's common to see a drop of 5-10 degrees. I get to work about sunrise, so I also observe some of the lowest temperature readings in the morning. Today, with 6-8 inches of snow pack, the lowest reading I saw was 10 degrees, on barley lane It was 18 when I drove by the airport at 7 am. It was already 17 degrees, about an hour ago; it will be interesting to see how low it is tomorrow morning. I would think 5-10 degrees.

Good to see you here.

Good to hear, I was worried about the status of my snowpack. One benefit of the really crappy ratio snows we get is that it is tougher to get rid of.

Some of the south-facing lawns (especially those that are sloped) were pretty bare, but my front lawn, which faces ENE, looked little different than when the sun went down last night.

Read something about the dew point having a big effect on snow melt. It's proven to be true in my experience. Read it on here. The short version was a low dew point caused rapid evaporation of any melting snow and created a cool layer right over the snow that kept melting rates very low. Seems like a sound rationale. Certainly seems to hold true.

Read something about the dew point having a big effect on snow melt. It's proven to be true in my experience. Read it on here. The short version was a low dew point caused rapid evaporation of any melting snow and created a cool layer right over the snow that kept melting rates very low. Seems like a sound rationale. Certainly seems to hold true.

I agree. 37 degrees today----I was surprised to see we still have a decent snow pack. Living in the woods, in front of a ridge helps as well.

Down to 17 here overnight, currently at 23*. Car door was a biotch to open this morning and getting the wipers unfrozen. Love the winter :)

OTOH, I ran into Stu Ostro today, former OCM at TWC, talked to him for about 10 mins,. he now does the forecasting for where the field mets go, and for Mike Seidel it was between Roanoke or Leesburg, he is glad he decided to send him to Leesburg. I said whatever you do, keep on sending Seidel here, he arrives and it snows, Keep the anti snow guy (Cantore) in Baltimore like this past event :)  Very cool guy.

Down to 17 here overnight, currently at 23*. Car door was a biotch to open this morning and getting the wipers unfrozen. Love the winter :)

OTOH, I ran into Stu Ostro today, former OCM at TWC, talked to him for about 10 mins,. he now does the forecasting for where the field mets go, and for Mike Seidel it was between Roanoke or Leesburg, he is glad he decided to send him to Leesburg. I said whatever you do, keep on sending Seidel here, he arrives and it snows, Keep the anti snow guy (Cantore) in Baltimore like this past event :)  Very cool guy.

Where'd you run into him at? He was always clearly one of the most prepared/professional mets at TWC. Did he ever serve as an OCM? I thought he was always one of the experts they called on for special events and for their extreme event specials. 

Where'd you run into him at? He was always clearly one of the most prepared/professional mets at TWC. Did he ever serve as an OCM? I thought he was always one of the experts they called on for special events and for their extreme event specials. 

I would say back in the mid 90's he was an OCM on occasion. Im sure I have a VHS tape of him on air somewhere here. I ran into him at the airport today. i saw his face and I knew who he was, but wasnt 100%sure. Then he turned and I saw TWC patch on his jacket and that solidified it for me on who it was. Really nice guy.

Even here, a 20 minute Metro ride to Dupont Circle, the snow pack has held on fine. As with others, in shaded spots, it more or less looks like late yesterday afternoon. 

My condo  complex is long and thin.. one set of windows looks west and the other east. The east side still has 80% cover (well, cover with grass blades and holes). Not much change today. Sunny spots are generally snow free except for little shoveled piles though.

Archived