Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
December 2013 obs and discussion

Ian

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah but it's a bad pattern. 2-10" of snow within 30 miles of the Monument in the first 10 days of December, 75% of the last 30 days below average in temps and that's a "bad pattern"???????

Ive shoveled snow 3 times and my back is killing me...so my back thinks so. lol

Snow cover is down to a T. Still, not bad for how little snow we actually got. Probably would have taken 6 days worth of snow on the ground if you had given me the choice before the month.

Good point. If I count liberally, this is the 8th straight morning I can be sitting  at my computer and looking out at woods (Wolf Trap) still snow covered. And not even what people consider the start of winter. Just hope it is not the only 8 day stretch this winter.

Pattern change looks like almost 60 by end of week and rain....lol.

Nah...that's just a simple relaxation. I'm talking about a pattern flip - something that gets us permanently out of what we've been in. I know plenty of folks like getting the occasional shot at snow, and that some have done quite well so far, but I'd honestly take wall-to-wall warmth over cold slop any day. This pattern just isn't cutting it for me.

Nah...that's just a simple relaxation. I'm talking about a pattern flip - something that gets us permanently out of what we've been in. I know plenty of folks like getting the occasional shot at snow, and that some have done quite well so far, but I'd honestly take wall-to-wall warmth over cold slop any day. This pattern just isn't cutting it for me.

We've had plenty of warmth during the past two winters..... you can't expect a persistent torch every year. So you're getting slop, but guess what, it's December. It's not even prime time for snow so anything you get in the first half of the month is a bonus. If you'd rather have "wall-to-wall warmth" than a little snow fairly early in the season, then the solution is pretty simple.

We've had plenty of warmth the past two winters..... you can't expect a persistent torch every year. So you're getting slop, but guess what, it's December. It's not even prime time for snow so anything you get in the first half of the month is a bonus. If you'd rather have wall-to-wall warmth than a little snow fairly early in the season, then the solution is pretty simple.

I'm not confident that things would change much if we went into January with the same pattern we've been in. If not, then I'd rather the pattern broke and brought something different - whether it be warmth or cold and snowy. I really care which one it is.

I'm not moving south yet. That's not for another 20 years or so. Can't wait to be able to fish and golf nearly year round.

Everyone has different preferences. I'm a winter wx weenie, but I'd rather get 1-2 8+ snowstorms than 15 1-4" snowfalls, I am more of an extreme weather fan, some people on this board are up all night tracking cold air, that's their passion. It's not worth arguing about because everyone enjoys weather differently. 

As for the pattern, EURO is showing a small sign of some blocking in the LR, so that's good...

I'm not confident that things would change much if we went into January with the same pattern we've been in. If not, then I'd rather the pattern broke and brought something different - whether it be warmth or cold and snowy. I really care which one it is.

I'm not moving south yet. That's not for another 20 years or so. Can't wait to be able to fish and golf nearly year round.

Average temps will be several degrees colder by January so events that may be marginal in mid-December could be nice snowstorms if they happen in mid-winter. Just because you think you're getting screwed now, doesn't mean it will stay that way all winter.

You know, December 1995 was also very sloppy, with several snow to rain events and then a major snowstorm around the 19th in the northeast (widespread 8-12"+, including NYC and Boston) which completely screwed DC and pretty much everyone south of 40N. It all seemed so dire for DC snowlovers :rolleyes:

If we were to have a repeat of 1995-96, would you hope for wall to wall warmth while it was still mid-December?

Archived