Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
December 2013 obs and discussion

Ian

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was one of the least impressive cold snap days in memory.....Tomorrow should be the real deal, but wouldn't surprise me if DCA hits 33-34.....A week ago it really looked like today could be a -15 to -20 and it was a -7....

Today was one of the least impressive cold snap days in memory.....Tomorrow should be the real deal, but wouldn't surprise me if DCA hits 33-34.....A week ago it really looked like today could be a -15 to -20 and it was a -7....

Funny..six weeks ago it looked to be +3. A year ago a +0. Weird huh?

And 33 or 34 for DCA tomorrow...who would be surprised of a fcst high off by 3 degrees? And is 34 your forecast for DCA Thur?

Read something about the dew point having a big effect on snow melt. It's proven to be true in my experience. Read it on here. The short version was a low dew point caused rapid evaporation of any melting snow and created a cool layer right over the snow that kept melting rates very low. Seems like a sound rationale. Certainly seems to hold true.

Dry air has lower thermal conductivity, as a result it has lower convection coefficient than humid air.  Lower convection coefficient reduces the heat transfer rate between the air and snow.

Funny..six weeks ago it looked to be +3. A year ago a +0. Weird huh?

And 33 or 34 for DCA tomorrow...who would be surprised of a fcst high off by 3 degrees? And is 34 your forecast for DCA Thur?

Wut

Archived