BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
December and a Hint of January Pattern Discussion

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WTH did the Euro do last night with the major cutter next Thurs-Fri?!?  Not shown by any other global that I could see.  GGEM hints at a coastal in the next Friday timeframe.  GGEM has a coastal this coming Monday out of nowhere…it's a rain-snow deal.  0z and 6z GFS remarkably consistent with the NYE/NYD coastal idea.

Maybe next week is not as quiet as we all think it'll be? 

WTH did the Euro do last night with the major cutter next Thurs-Fri?!?  Not shown by any other global that I could see.  GGEM hints at a coastal in the next Friday timeframe.  GGEM has a coastal this coming Monday out of nowhere…it's a rain-snow deal.  0z and 6z GFS remarkably consistent with the NYE/NYD coastal idea.

Maybe next week is not as quiet as we all think it'll be? 

Yeah, and what happened to the Euro's hole to the center of the earth that it had in the southwest?

Seems to be a pretty major continuity break.

Yeah, and what happened to the Euro's hole to the center of the earth that it had in the southwest?

Seems to be a pretty major continuity break.

Hard to tell with the 24hour spacing on Ewall and others, but I'm guessing that it sent a piece of that east, which the Euro phases with a northern stream vort and produces that cutter.  The other globals show the northern stream vort producing a weak clipper at the same time around next Friday.   

Wow, holy -epo reload with the 18z gefs. 500 height anoms say bring on the hounds. Starts out west first bit this is definitely the first run showing another outbreak before we close the month. Outlier or trendsetter?

There would be a pretty sizable lag...still, there is opportunity for something to sync up toward the end of the month

There would be a pretty sizable lag...still, there is opportunity for something to sync up toward the end of the month

individual gefs members are all over the place. no surprise there. The favored track it appears to be messy. No surprise there either. 

One thing that could help is the ridging that keeps appearing in northern greenland. Could displace the pv a bit further south and move the storm track with it. Still messy if it goes like that but maybe a better chance at snow in the cities for a time. 

Euro op last night is on it's own. Euro ensembles don't really agree and neither does the gfs in any way. The ns vort is there but the euro op is the only one that phased it up. 

I suppose the more interesting part of the last week of the month is the active northern stream zipping along with a pna ridge. Any real threat that materializes will be at short leads. Keeps us on our toes. 

Overall, the period post xmas is basically unresolved with a myriad of possibilities. Southern stream seems to wake up again. Shouldn't be boring like the week we are in now. But absolutely not head over heels. 

Happy new years is back. Storm signal remains. 

For a deterministic run to have this kind of consistency at ~300 hours is pretty surprising.  I could see something sneaking up on us next week as well.  Last night's GGEM had the more impressive tail-end wave on Monday-Tuesday, even though it was mostly rain for us.  GFS also has a more impressive tail-ender than the last few runs I've seen, and closer to the coast.  Turns into a nice snowstorm for the fishies.  Next Thursday-Friday has some Miller B potential.  We all know how those usually work for us, but those two combined are worth some modest interest before Snow-venge 2014TM arrives.  

For a deterministic run to have this kind of consistency at ~300 hours is pretty surprising.  I could see something sneaking up on us next week as well.  Last night's GGEM had the more impressive tail-end wave on Monday-Tuesday, even though it was mostly rain for us.  GFS also has a more impressive tail-ender than the last few runs I've seen, and closer to the coast.  Turns into a nice snowstorm for the fishies.  Next Thursday-Friday has some Miller B potential.  We all know how those usually work for us, but those two combined are worth some modest interest before Snow-venge 2014TM arrives.  

Yeah, 200+ is fantasy land, but I've seen the GFS be right (signal wise) than wrong when it keeps hitting the same beat.   It won't be EXACTLY like it's shown in all likelyhood, but I bet there'll be something for NY

Yeah, 200+ is fantasy land, but I've seen the GFS be right (signal wise) than wrong when it keeps hitting the same beat.   It won't be EXACTLY like it's shown in all likelyhood, but I bet there'll be something for NY

They key is watching how the PV in Canada evolves over time.  Getting that nice dogbone east-west shape with a 50/50 type low and some ridging overtop of it in Greenland and the pole is critical for this thing to take a track to our south.  If the PV lifts farther north, the low would probably cut.  

They key is watching how the PV in Canada evolves over time.  Getting that nice dogbone east-west shape with a 50/50 type low and some ridging overtop of it in Greenland and the pole is critical for this thing to take a track to our south.  If the PV lifts farther north, the low would probably cut.  

I always love 288 hour snowstorms when the GFS has the defecto 850 low to our north. 

I'm sorry but this is sick. There have been many hints at gl ridging for the last 4 days or so. It kept showing up over and over. Just yesterday the -epo reload started looking tasty. Now lala gfs connects them over the pole. We'll see what the ensembles say but there is at least a chance at not only blocking and active ss but also a major arctic invasion that doesn't stall out over the middle of the country and hit us in modest pieces and scattered cold days. 

post-2035-0-92767800-1387475111_thumb.jp

I always love 288 hour snowstorms when the GFS has the defecto 850 low to our north. 

Lots of time for those details to be worked out :P  

Certainly I think a mix event is more likely than all snow given the pattern at the time.  But there's certainly a storm signal at that time frame.  

I'm sorry but this is sick. There have been many hints at gl ridging for the last 4 days or so. It kept showing up over and over. Just yesterday the -epo reload started looking tasty. Now lala gfs connects them over the pole. We'll see what the ensembles say but there is at least a chance at not only blocking and active ss but also a major arctic invasion that doesn't stall out over the middle of the country and hit us in modest pieces and scattered cold days. 

attachicon.gifeponao.JPG

DT is on board

**ALERT** POTENTIAL for prolonged period of SERIOUS winter wx DEC 30- JAN 15. POLAR VORTEX Looks to be forced SOUTH- flipping AO to Neg

Here's why I'm not yet that excited about the 31st. Look at all the variation in the 500mb forecasts

It's way too early to even start touting a cold wave. 

attachicon.gifDec_19_f288_2013.gif

To be fair, i don't think anyone is touting a cold wave before the year is over. Cooler than normal period inside the last week of the month seems ok. Snow chances exist but far from anything classic. And even I'm not all that pumped about it. Just interested because there is nothing else to do. 

I think the signs of blocking have been getting stronger for 4 days now. And it will take longer than expected. Early Jan has some valid hope at the very least. 

There are about 3-5 (depending on point of view) members that have at least enough of something to be interested in for Mon night into Tuesday.

One is just............well, we won't talk about that.  

But this does go along with what WxUSA was saying earlier concerning the Canadian.

Archived