Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2013-2014 Capital Weather Gang Winter Outlook

snow.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2011-2012 was as bad of a winter as I have seen. That was as bad as 01-02

We have to luck into a fluke at some point. Every bad winter has a fluke for someone. I believe Norfolk got 9-10 inches from a southern storm in the 01-02 winter

They seem to happen more in legit ninas (and good winters of course)...I am not really seeing some huge snowstorm, but that doesn't mean you won't do ok where you are and get a 6"+ event or even 2....But I don't see it being much better than last winter for you in terms of types of events...You hated those 2-3" events that changed over or melted quickly...

even the good neutrals have been bad in generating a big storm since PD1 that clobbers the whole coastal plain...

Can you learn to like a 3.5" event that falls between 3 and 7 am and it is raining by 8?

They seem to happen more in legit ninas (and good winters of course)...I am not really seeing some huge snowstorm, but that doesn't mean you won't do ok where you are and get a 6"+ event or even 2....But I don't see it being much better than last winter for you in terms of types of events...You hated those 2-3" events that changed over or melted quickly...

all my 1-2 inch events were short duration events. The one i liked the most because it felt like an actual storm was the Dec 26 storm but that did turn into rain after a nice start. The March 2-3 storm was decent for me but since it busted for everyone else including myself, i ended up hating that storm...but that was a 5-6 shove-able event 

even the good neutrals have been bad in generating a big storm since PD1 that clobbers the whole coastal plain...

Can you learn to like a 3.5" event that falls between 3 and 7 am and it is raining by 8?

I guess I'm the opposite of you guys in that I don't like tracking storms. It's nerve racking and often disappoints. I much prefer the inside 72-96 that pops up and delivers a good snow. And yes I think a 2-3" snow is a good snow, but I hate it when a decent snow starts melting away before it even stops. That's why I said earlier that I much prefer a Dec-Jan winter over the late season ones.

all my 1-2 inch events were short duration events. The one i liked the most because it felt like an actual storm was the Dec 26 storm but that did turn into rain after a nice start. The March 2-3 storm was decent for me but since it busted for everyone else including myself, i ended up hating that storm...but that was a 5-6 shove-able event 

you might be really disappointed this winter

you might be really disappointed this winter

Heck I hated that one too and it was a foot here (11.5 iirc). By noon it was 6" but still snowing and so bright you needed shades.

I like winter weather. Cold, grey, frozen. Don't care if it's snow or not. Just not bright, not dripping.

Heck I hated that one too and it was a foot here (11.5 iirc). By noon it was 6" but still snowing and so bright you needed shades.

I like winter weather. Cold, grey, frozen. Don't care if it's snow or not. Just not bright, not dripping.

I think we have to try and get something out of these ugly events...I am not saying we can't (especially you and JI), get a cold all snow, warning criteria event....I don't think I will but in the end I don't know...I could be completely wrong...but we are going to have some ugly events...probably most of them....that is who we are....we need a f-ucking el nino

its not that hard to get 4-8

yes, but it will probably be messy...you'll get 6" and it will melt the next day or it won't stick to roads or it will change to rain or sleet or drizzle and 34....

you want a 12/5/02 or 1/30/10...something classic...good luck with that

I think we have to try and get something out of these ugly events...I am not saying we can't (especially you and JI), get a cold all snow, warning criteria event....I don't think I will but in the end I don't know...I could be completely wrong...but we are going to have some ugly events...probably most of them....that is who we are....we need a f-ucking el nino

I hear ya. I guess my thing is an ugly event in Dec is better than a pretty event after mid Feb. the latter is a total mess 9 of 10 times.

I hear ya. I guess my thing is an ugly event in Dec is better than a pretty event after mid Feb. the latter is a total mess 9 of 10 times.

I love the sub freezing periods when it precipitates in waves for like 3 days...cold makes such a huge difference...

yes, but it will probably be messy...you'll get 6" and it will melt the next day or it won't stick to roads or it will change to rain or sleet or drizzle and 34....

you want a 12/5/02 or 1/30/10...something classic...good luck with that

lol..90% of my joy comes the day of the storm...once the storm is over...i look for the next one...dont really care what happens the next day that much. Of course, i want it to stick around for a week but my thing is seeing snow on paper and of course seeing it fall heavily and sticking. If we can manage to get a storm that dosent show its back edge 20 minutes after it starts in the heart of winter, that would be a start. 

I love the sub freezing periods when it precipitates in waves for like 3 days...cold makes such a huge difference...

i love the january 04 event i think it was where we got 4-5 inches..and then all day sneet for the next 2 days where it was cloudy and cold. I would take that in  a heartbeat

i love the january 04 event i think it was where we got 4-5 inches..and then all day sneet for the next 2 days where it was cloudy and cold. I would take that in  a heartbeat

one of my favorites

1/16/03 was a bigger disappointment to me than 3/5/01....we wasted cold....anything that fell would have stuck to highways on contact...a bust when it is 25 degrees and has been cold for 3 days is the worst bust...if we had gotten 6" from that we would have had snowcover for 2 weeks...instead I got like 0.5"

one of my favorites

1/16/03 was a bigger disappointment to me than 3/5/01....we wasted cold....anything that fell would have stuck to highways on contact...a bust when it is 25 degrees and has been cold for 3 days is the worst bust...if we had gotten 6" from that we would have had snowcover for 2 weeks...instead I got like 0.5"

You're kind of due for a Jan '88 or something where it snows and then you get a week of mostly sub-35F temps and snow cover for 2+ weeks...right in the heart of winter. I guess Jan '96 was pretty good too, but it didn't last as long. About a week and then a total torch with rain.

February snow is nice, but there's a lot of 40s and dripping with blinding sunshine...esp mid month and later.

Last yr cold shot was pretty legit for around here lately. If we beat that it's something.

That was a nice stretch. Here it was snow on wed (I think), snow on top of snow on Friday, snow showers all day sat, sunny Sunday, freezing rain on Monday.

I'm with snowfan. I would like a moderate freezing rain event on top of a couple inches of snow.

HM...I think some of it is luck of course...do you remember February 2004 in the Carolinas?   They had a sick pattern with a handful of wintry mix and snow events culminating in that monster storm on 2/26-27...I'd imagine some of that is luck in terms of us missing the whole pattern...then of course earlier in the winter NYC was getting storm after storm...so it seems like we were stuck in between a lot of the time...even 12/5/03 was a bit too far west for most of us (IAD did decent despite Cantore being there)...I got 14", but I think that winter had things been just slightly different could have been a 20-25" winter...it isn't like we had a storm track to our west the whole winter...and thus really had no shot...

2004 should have been a bigger winter for the area. It probably was very close to being a blockbuster winter, but as with many examples we needed a little more luck and a little better timing. Hard to believe we didn't catch anything that February. We also just missed some brutal cold readings as they were confined just to our north.

2004 should have been a bigger winter for the area. It probably was very close to being a blockbuster winter, but as with many examples we needed a little more luck and a little better timing. Hard to believe we didn't catch anything that February. We also just missed some brutal cold readings as they were confined just to our north.

I consider 2006-07 to be similar in that regard.  A heavily back-loaded winter after it was quite warm through about mid-January 2007.  Extremely cold throughout February here and in much of the east (I think DCA was ~9 degrees below normal, or there about).  Some snow/ice near the end of January as the pattern flipped, I recall.  The February 25 heavy, wet snow event which originally was supposed to be ice (ended up ~4-6" snow).  A clipper in early February and another one in early March.  And, even some flakes and light coating of snow on Easter morning in early April.  All-in-all, quite good for the 2nd half of winter.  Of course, the biggest memory that year was the Valentine's Day storm that we just missed out on in the DC metro area, getting mostly a sleet storm instead.  I had some 3" of sleet that froze into a block of ice.  West of here, especially through the Ohio valley, it was a major snowstorm.  A slight shift, and we were looking at a 12"+ event; in fact if memory serves me correctly, the models were indicating a coastal and just that scenario for some time for several days.  Then it jogged west and we got cold-air dammed with the ice instead.  If we had shared more in the V.D. storm that winter, I maintain to this day that we'd all be talking about how '06-07 was up there as one of the better winters.

Last yr cold shot was pretty legit for around here lately. If we beat that it's something.

Very true, and especially given that the cold shot (~3rd week of Jan.) was otherwise flanked by very warm temperatures throughout Dec-Jan.  It was impressive to remain that cold and for DCA to have below freezing max temperatures with little more than a dusting to a few tenths of an inch of snow on the ground.  The overnight lows were quite frigid during that period.

I liked 06-07.

One of the most satisfying things about that winter was seeing certain places up north get pitiful seasonal totals.

Me too.  It's kind of overlooked, but I recall February 2007 quite well and fondly, even though we got "robbed" by the Valentine's Day event.  Didn't realize "certain places" up north got low totals, though!

I consider 2006-07 to be similar in that regard.  A heavily back-loaded winter after it was quite warm through about mid-January 2007.  Extremely cold throughout February here and in much of the east (I think DCA was ~9 degrees below normal, or there about).  Some snow/ice near the end of January as the pattern flipped, I recall.  The February 25 heavy, wet snow event which originally was supposed to be ice (ended up ~4-6" snow).  A clipper in early February and another one in early March.  And, even some flakes and light coating of snow on Easter morning in early April.  All-in-all, quite good for the 2nd half of winter.  Of course, the biggest memory that year was the Valentine's Day storm that we just missed out on in the DC metro area, getting mostly a sleet storm instead.  I had some 3" of sleet that froze into a block of ice.  West of here, especially through the Ohio valley, it was a major snowstorm.  A slight shift, and we were looking at a 12"+ event; in fact if memory serves me correctly, the models were indicating a coastal and just that scenario for some time for several days.  Then it jogged west and we got cold-air dammed with the ice instead.  If we had shared more in the V.D. storm that winter, I maintain to this day that we'd all be talking about how '06-07 was up there as one of the better winters.

There is no question that February that year was real close to being special. Don't forget about the major east cost storm around St. Patricks Day, I know it wasn't that great for areas close to the beltways but the far north and west burbs did very well. I think we would all sign up for a February like that this year right now

Me too.  It's kind of overlooked, but I recall February 2007 quite well and fondly, even though we got "robbed" by the Valentine's Day event.  Didn't realize "certain places" up north got low totals, though!

It's like a glass half full. Sure, maybe February 2007 could have been an amazing 12-18" snowstorm, but it also could have been a 45 degree rain storm with all the cold air scoured out. Models trended from the former to the latter, but in the end we got something in between and very unique: 3-6" of sleet which crippled the area like a KU snowstorm, in the midst of one of the greatest cold periods of the past 15 years. As a 16 year old kid, sliding on the sleet was so much fun. Not to mention lots of great nickel and dime events, especially as I went skiing in Roundtop or Liberty where it made for a great wintry feel with frozen ponds and lakes on the way there.

Archived