• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
November 2013 obs and discussion

usedtobe

If it's what I think you're thinking of it was 76-77. Blizzard warnings even down in swva. Very little snow but a cold front that dropped temps from 50 to 8 in a couple hours.

We had an early dismissal from school in Cumberland that day because of the warnings.  Sunny and warm before lunch time, and then dark skies like a summer thunderstorm moved in as we were boarding the buses.  Had some flurries, but really powerful wind gusts for a while.  I think the higher elevations west of me did OK, but it had lost much of its punch after primarily smacking IL, IN, and OH.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had an early dismissal from school in Cumberland that day because of the warnings.  Sunny and warm before lunch time, and then dark skies like a summer thunderstorm moved in as we were boarding the buses.  Had some flurries, but really powerful wind gusts for a while.  I think the higher elevations west of me did OK, but it had lost much of its punch after primarily smacking IL, IN, and OH.

Yeah, same here. I remember being sent home (early dismissal) and it being like 45 and sunny. Before we got off bus it was snowing to beat the band and winds howling....then it just stopped. Maybe 1" being generous. But boy did it get cold. I just couldn't remember if it was Jan 77 or Jan 78.

Grabbed this from today's LWX disco

.CLIMATE...

ACCORDING TO UPPER AIR SOUNDING DATA AT 00Z AND 12Z SINCE
1962 AT STERLING VIRGINIA...THERE HAVE ONLY BEEN 3 TIMES THAT THE
850MB TEMPERATURE HAS BEEN BELOW -15 CELSIUS IN THE MONTH OF
NOVEMBER. EACH TIME...THE SURFACE HIGH TEMPERATURE THAT DAY HAS BEEN
IN THE MID TO UPPER 30S.

YEAR: DATE: OBS TIME(UTC): 850MB TEMP©: HIGH TEMP(F)
==================================================================

1970 NOVEMBER 24TH 00Z -17.5 37
1977 NOVEMBER 27TH 12Z -15.1 35
1986 NOVEMBER 14TH 00Z -15.5 38

FORECAST THIS YEAR (AS OF THE EVENING OF NOVEMBER 22ND)
=======================================================

2013: NOVEMBER 24TH: 12Z

FORECAST 850MB TEMP (2.5 TO 3 STANDARD DEVIATIONS BELOW NORMAL!):

GFS -15.5
ECMWF: -15.6
NAM: -16.2

FORECAST HIGH TEMP SUNDAY FOR IAD: 34

Yesterday maybe (probably?) the last above normal day of the month.  Stupid midnight highs today, but temps should drop down to the low 30s at least before midnight tonight, so today probably ends near normal. 

BWI really only had 4 real warm days this month (counting yesterday at +9). The rest of the month was mainly below normal. Our average is still -.7 and should end up between 2-3 I would guess if the medium range models are generally correct.

RGENT - FIRE WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

1105 AM EST SAT NOV 23 2013

DCZ001-MDZ003>007-009>011-013-014-016>018-502-VAZ025>031-036>040-

042-050>057-501-502-504-WVZ050>053-055-502-504-506-240015-

/O.NEW.KLWX.FW.A.0002.131124T1400Z-131124T2300Z/

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-WASHINGTON-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-

NORTHERN BALTIMORE-HARFORD-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-

PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-ST. MARYS-CALVERT-

CENTRAL AND EASTERN ALLEGANY-AUGUSTA-ROCKINGHAM-SHENANDOAH-

FREDERICK VA-PAGE-WARREN-CLARKE-NELSON-ALBEMARLE-GREENE-MADISON-

RAPPAHANNOCK-LOUDOUN-ORANGE-CULPEPER-

PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-

ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-STAFFORD-SPOTSYLVANIA-

KING GEORGE-NORTHERN FAUQUIER-SOUTHERN FAUQUIER-EASTERN HIGHLAND-

HAMPSHIRE-MORGAN-BERKELEY-JEFFERSON-HARDY-EASTERN GRANT-

EASTERN MINERAL-EASTERN PENDLETON-

1105 AM EST SAT NOV 23 2013

...FIRE WEATHER WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH

SUNDAY AFTERNOON FOR MUCH OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA...MARYLAND

WEST OF THE CHESAPEAKE BAY...AND PORTIONS OF THE EASTERN WEST

VIRGINIA PANHANDLE...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A

FIRE WEATHER WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING

THROUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON.

* HUMIDITY...LESS THAN 25 PERCENT.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 20 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH.

* FUEL MOISTURE...LESS THAN 10 PERCENT.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FIRE WEATHER WATCH MEANS THAT CRITICAL FIRE WEATHER CONDITIONS

ARE FORECAST TO OCCUR. LISTEN FOR LATER FORECASTS AND POSSIBLE

RED FLAG WARNINGS.

&&

$$

A few flakes beginning to fly. Going to be nasty tonight and tomorrow.

Side Note: Another section of Corridor H opened yesterday. Now the highway is all the way to the top of the Allegheny Front. 2 hour and 5 minute drive to here from Fairfax!

thats awesome

A few flakes beginning to fly. Going to be nasty tonight and tomorrow.

Side Note: Another section of Corridor H opened yesterday. Now the highway is all the way to the top of the Allegheny Front. 2 hour and 5 minute drive to here from Fairfax!

Whoa! Don't want to ride with you. It's 107 miles to Canaan Valley from Winchester (made the trip about 20 times this year) and another 65 from Winchester to Fairfax.

BTW, for anyone making the trip, I got a speeding ticket on 93 between Bismark and Davis in October. Better obey the 45!! Speed limit.

Good news about corridor H Jon!

Whoa! Don't want to ride with you. It's 107 miles to Canaan Valley from Winchester (made the trip about 20 times this year) and another 65 from Winchester to Fairfax.

BTW, for anyone making the trip, I got a speeding ticket on 93 between Bismark and Davis in October. Better obey the 45!! Speed limit.

Good news about corridor H Jon!

That was a guest that made it in that time.  I drive about 5 miles over the limit (maybe 9 on the hwy) and made it last month from Manassas in about 2:20.  I think 2 hours 15 or 20 minutes with the new section open (without traffic issues) is pretty reasonable from Fairfax.  Winchester is a little out of the way to get the full benefit of the highway.  Do you drive down to Corridor H or go down Rt. 50?

That was a guest that made it in that time. I drive about 5 miles over the limit (maybe 9 on the hwy) and made it last month from Manassas in about 2:20. I think 2 hours 15 or 20 minutes with the new section open (without traffic issues) is pretty reasonable from Fairfax. Winchester is a little out of the way to get the full benefit of the highway. Do you drive down to Corridor H or go down Rt. 50?

I get on corridor H at wardensville. So glad that I don't have to drive up the mountain now. I guess they opened it all the way to the top of the hill just before the dam?

Thinking about driving over tomorrow just to hang out for a while.

I get on corridor H at wardensville. So glad that I don't have to drive up the mountain now. I guess they opened it all the way to the top of the hill just before the dam?

Thinking about driving over tomorrow just to hang out for a while.

Yep, open all the way to the top.  Another section slated to open next year, then all the way to Davis in the summer of 2015.  Be careful tomorrow, it will be nasty sideways drifting snow with low visibility.  And frigid.

Sun out now with a few flakes flying here and there.  Looks like the really good snow is still 5 or 6 hours away.

RGENT - FIRE WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC1105 AM EST SAT NOV 23 2013DCZ001-MDZ003>007-009>011-013-014-016>018-502-VAZ025>031-036>040-042-050>057-501-502-504-WVZ050>053-055-502-504-506-240015-/O.NEW.KLWX.FW.A.0002.131124T1400Z-131124T2300Z/DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-WASHINGTON-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-NORTHERN BALTIMORE-HARFORD-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-ST. MARYS-CALVERT-CENTRAL AND EASTERN ALLEGANY-AUGUSTA-ROCKINGHAM-SHENANDOAH-FREDERICK VA-PAGE-WARREN-CLARKE-NELSON-ALBEMARLE-GREENE-MADISON-RAPPAHANNOCK-LOUDOUN-ORANGE-CULPEPER-PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-STAFFORD-SPOTSYLVANIA-KING GEORGE-NORTHERN FAUQUIER-SOUTHERN FAUQUIER-EASTERN HIGHLAND-HAMPSHIRE-MORGAN-BERKELEY-JEFFERSON-HARDY-EASTERN GRANT-EASTERN MINERAL-EASTERN PENDLETON-1105 AM EST SAT NOV 23 2013...FIRE WEATHER WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGHSUNDAY AFTERNOON FOR MUCH OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA...MARYLANDWEST OF THE CHESAPEAKE BAY...AND PORTIONS OF THE EASTERN WESTVIRGINIA PANHANDLE...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED AFIRE WEATHER WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNINGTHROUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON.* HUMIDITY...LESS THAN 25 PERCENT.* WINDS...NORTHWEST 20 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH.* FUEL MOISTURE...LESS THAN 10 PERCENT.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A FIRE WEATHER WATCH MEANS THAT CRITICAL FIRE WEATHER CONDITIONSARE FORECAST TO OCCUR. LISTEN FOR LATER FORECASTS AND POSSIBLERED FLAG WARNINGS.&&$$

Definitely need rain. >10 acres on fire off of Solley Rd in Glen Burnie area.

I'll take the over ;)

The midweek shot looks less impressive as we close in... perhaps to be expected.  I'm shooting for 3 as that would still be a "haven't done more" in 50 yrs type of deal. 

The midweek shot looks less impressive as we close in... perhaps to be expected.  I'm shooting for 3 as that would still be a "haven't done more" in 50 yrs type of deal. 

three days with highs in 30s in November?  not sure what you mean

Archived