BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
November 2013 obs and discussion

usedtobe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Closed lows entering the CA coast and tracking across the country like that is pretty Nino-ish. 

The first one can be tossed up as a fluke. Not so sure that you can call 2 in a row a fluke. Does the pattern have legs? Probably not. But if it re-occurs another time or 2 during prime climo then all bets are off on well below climo. 

The second one bears watching. It's an early Dec snow odds increaser for sure.  We are moving into a better climo period as well. No blocking is the red herring but still...

Haterz gonna hate.

I'll just repeat...GFS verbatim is record low max on Sunday for IAD and BWI. Don't think there's anyway DCA meets or breaks the record of 31F, but yeah, 35F is pretty solid for DCA given its DCA.

I looked back to 1981 last night. Coldest max in Nov 33 at DCA back in the 80s somewhere. Left sheet at home.

The cold air this month is legit.  We're going to finish the month below normal almost for sure (maybe even a -3?) with an AO that reached +4SDs and also a +NAO.  Having your source region really cold is really really helpful.  Hopefully that benefits us going forward.  There's lots of cold air around, so I think we're going to get our chances in the coming weeks.  Might not connect for a hit, but we're going to get plate appearances with ducks on the pond. 

P.S.  I love baseball analogies :P

Closed lows entering the CA coast and tracking across the country like that is pretty Nino-ish. 

Call me old but I vividly remember Gordon Barnes(old ch 9 weatherman) showing maps where some of our better storms came out of the 4 corners area.  Of course it is highly dependent on the pattern but I do like seeing lows out that way

The cold air this month is legit.  We're going to finish the month below normal almost for sure (maybe even a -3?) with an AO that reached +4SDs and also a +NAO.  Having your source region really cold is really really helpful.  Hopefully that benefits us going forward.  There's lots of cold air around, so I think we're going to get our chances in the coming weeks.  Might not connect for a hit, but we're going to get plate appearances with ducks on the pond. 

P.S.  I love baseball analogies :P

Yea, and Bill Bergen has been at bat for the MA snow crew for the last 2 years. 

Call me old but I vividly remember Gordon Barnes(old ch 9 weatherman) showing maps where some of our better storms came out of the 4 corners area.  Of course it is highly dependent on the pattern but I do like seeing lows out that way

All good things come from 4 corners 500 lows. ;) 

But.. the northern stream is still plenty active and we have no real clue how the wave will eject still.  

All good things come from 4 corners 500 lows. ;)

But.. the northern stream is still plenty active and we have no real clue how the wave will eject still.  

Yea, it's our bread and butter for bigger storms. Nino circ or real split flow. It's the only way to "not fluke it"

The pattern is good. Probably the best leading into Dec since 09. It's 02'ish in some ways as well. 

It should be fun watching a bunch of folks going verbatim d10+ for a while. I just care about the overall look hanging in there. Second day in a row with a modestly improved atl on the gfs in the lr. 

Yea, it's our bread and butter for bigger storms. Nino circ or real split flow. It's the only way to "not fluke it"

The pattern is good. Probably the best leading into Dec since 09. It's 02'ish in some ways as well. 

It should be fun watching a bunch of folks going verbatim d10+ for a while. I just care about the overall look hanging in there. Second day in a row with a modestly improved atl on the gfs in the lr. 

someone should get snow soon. especially if it's going to be horrifically cold. ;) 

The ATL is still way up in the air...I would lean toward cold, but I think even that is up in the air...I think a very tricky forecast for 1st week of december...30s or 50s wouldn't surprise me

-3 850's at DC with .1" qpf that frame it would be snowing. 

the QPF falls after 850s drop?

I think we need a little more common sense here...I realize you don't live in our area and that is fine...we are ALL imby to some extent, but not a single model run has shown accumulating snow for DC...

The ATL is still way up in the air...I would lean toward cold, but I think even that is up in the air...I think a very tricky forecast for 1st week of december...30s or 50s wouldn't surprise me

What has to be encouraging is the look of it constantly bringing in fresh batches of cold air every couple days.  We have problems with stale air getting pushed out just in time for a cutter that doesn't even give us more than a couple hours of slop before going RA

It really is. And the lack of cooperation so far means to expect a continuance. 

GFS and GEFS are getting kinda agressive in the lr. I take some solace in the fact that Tuesday's disappointing runs were fleeting. It usually works the other way around. Euro seems to agree d10-15 but I don't have h5 maps. Only temps so I have to fill in the blanks. 

Archived