BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
November 2013 obs and discussion

usedtobe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

November always has big temperature swings, why is everyone getting all bent out of shape about it? 

1) You are wrong...To wit - see my post from today about last November

2) You haven't followed the narrative at all....Tennman's point was that he thinks the current cycle (more cold than warmth) is a cycle that will continue...

nobody is getting bent out of shape about anything...In particular the post you replied to had nothing to do with getting bent out of shape...but rather a reiteration of Tennman's thoughts about the pattern...which if confirmed might be a GOOD pattern for us as it would portend a cold December....

1) You are wrong...To wit - see my post from today about last November

2) You haven't followed the narrative at all....Tennman's point was that he thinks the current cycle (more cold than warmth) is a cycle that will continue...

nobody is getting bent out of shape about anything...In particular the post you replied to had nothing to do with getting bent out of shape...but rather a reiteration of Tennman's thoughts about the pattern...which if confirmed might be a GOOD pattern for us as it would portend a cold December....

I don't go back and read every post. I missed his, so thought he was just complaining. Thanks for clearing it up. 

And last November looks pretty temperature swingy to me.

t1112.gif

I don't go back and read every post. I missed his, so thought he was just complaining. Thanks for clearing it up. 

And last November looks pretty temperature swingy to me.

t1112.gif

it wasn't "swingy"....we had blocking...it was an extremely stable pattern for November...you don't get a -3 November at DCA with big swings..of course there are always going to be some swings in a high SD month...it isn't July...

it wasn't "swingy"....we had blocking...it was an extremely stable pattern for November...you don't get a -3 November at DCA with big swings..of course there are always going to be some swings in a high SD month...it isn't July...

Well ya Sandy's aftermath controlled the start of the month that's for sure. 

Well ya Sandy's aftermath controlled the start of the month that's for sure. 

The atlantic has been opposite this year which is why we are so volatile despite the cold air mechanism...Bob Chill among others has mentioned how the break down of this pattern is usually delayed as the models rush it too quickly...I'm not sure any of us really believe in the projected changes in the Atlantic, but the big advertised -EPO/-PNA seems legit and more realistic to me and would get us pretty cold...what say you?..cold December?

The atlantic has been opposite this year which is why we are so volatile despite the cold air mechanism...Bob Chill among others has mentioned how the break down of this pattern is usually delayed as the models rush it too quickly...I'm not sure any of us really believe in the projected changes in the Atlantic, but the big advertised -EPO/-PNA seems legit and more realistic to me and would get us pretty cold...what say you?..cold December?

The EPO does seem to go pretty negative and the PNA is a tricky one, but I been thinking 0 to -1 for December. Lets just hope the NAO and AO does indeed go negative as the models show. 

We haven't had a good winter since the switch from Eastern's to American's, let hope we can get a multiple thread storm obs page for once. haha

I think Dec. 88 had a similar set up and that was a pretty chilly month although not much in terms of snowfall.

i'd like to see more ridges poking poleward than the flat ridges we've seen recently near AK. it gets cold but the storm track isn't forced southward enough

It will probably happen...it's been advertised over and over,....stronger, more poleward, over Siberia and with a +PNA....though without a block teh storm track probably still sucks for us....we need the Nino pattern HM has suggested with an Aleutian low

I think Dec. 88 had a similar set up and that was a pretty chilly month although not much in terms of snowfall.

We had a big +PNA in Dec 1988 so it was around normal to slightly below...the rest of the pattern kind of blew...

Euro ens are backing off a bit on the +pna @ d10. h5 heights in the west and in the nao domain space imply that the progressive pattern will potentially continue with alternating periods of warm/cool. 

Surface temp anomalies look "ok" d11-16 around here. Basically seasonable to a few degree below through the period. Not much skill at that range. Just grabbing clues from the maps I can see. 

Right now the 12gfs is on it's own in the lr irt the pv getting squished south.and some blocking showing up. It's going to be a long 2 weeks....

Euro ens are backing off a bit on the +pna @ d10. h5 heights in the west and in the nao domain space imply that the progressive pattern will potentially continue with alternating periods of warm/cool. 

Surface temp anomalies look "ok" d11-16 around here. Basically seasonable to a few degree below through the period. Not much skill at that range. Just grabbing clues from the maps I can see. 

Right now the 12gfs is on it's own in the lr irt the pv getting squished south.and some blocking showing up. It's going to be a long 2 weeks....

Yep till we get  better idea on things and what this cut off system is supposed to do, it is going to be a pain. 

18z gfs says you get to wear your fur coat on turkey day

There is a surprising amount of model agreement....Canadian/GFS ensembles, GFS, Euro (extrapolated slightly since it ends Thursday morning) of low to mid 40s for Thanksgiving...I will bump this post next week...My guess for a week now has been around 50/slightly below normal, and I wouldn't change it yet, but that is a very low risk basic idea based on the projected pattern...

There is a surprising amount of model agreement....Canadian/GFS ensembles, GFS, Euro (extrapolated slightly since it ends Thursday morning) of low to mid 40s for Thanksgiving...I will bump this post next week...My guess for a week now has been around 50/slightly below normal, and I wouldn't change it yet, but that is a very low risk basic idea based on the projected pattern...

I think that's a solid assumption...what's crazy is we are still talking day 10...what were models saying 10 days ago about today?

6z.GFS shows a coastal storm late next week. Seems to be slower to reach us than the EURO. The storm moves up the coast with northeast winds but the cold air retreats. Why would that be with HP north of us? I would have thought that the storm would bring in some cold air with that circulation.

There's nothing on the GFS to lock the HP in place, i.e., upper air confluence, a -NAO, a 50/50 low.  None of those things.  The 0z Euro gives us snow because it shows a tail-end frontal wave that cranks as it goes up the coast. So, the frontal passage brings in a nice fresh airmass that's plenty cold immediately before the storm.  This is the scenario I've been mentioning for a week.  With this progressive pattern, we need something like that if there's any hope for getting snow out of something more than a weak clipper/vort passage.  

Archived