BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
November 2013 obs and discussion

usedtobe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh...don't think so with the scenario the GFS shows.  But I could certainly see some cold air-advection instability/lake-effect flurries getting over the mountains on Sunday.  GFS shows another stupid midnight high on Sunday with temps falling all day.  Frigid day next Monday too.  

i was speaking of jonjon's area.  It always snows up there

I don't think 70 but thought it was funny how when I first stated that it is what the models were showing...and each subsequent tongue and cheek post was what the models were showing. I know they are showing chilly right now but it wouldn't surprise me if things swing back warm as this week goes by. But what do I know I'm just looking at model output....oh wait

nah, it will be back..and then gone again...and then back...and then gone. Kinda like athlete's foot in a dorm shower. 

The old nemesis of a strong/dominant northern stream is very apparent on the 12z GFS handling of the 2 post Thanksgiving storm chances.  

The old nemesis of a strong/dominant northern stream is very apparent on the 12z GFS handling of the 2 post Thanksgiving storm chances.  

Yup, but its bringing in the cold air in the long range, which is fine by me.  Would rather get the cold in here first then try to deal with precip... I wonder if the GFS is bringing a piece of the PV into the US in weenie land with the -30 850s?

If you look at the npac 250 and h5 panels there are some subtle hints of split flow. Just need an imaginary vort to undercut the imaginary nasty ak ridge. 

About the best looking -nao of any gfs run i've seen. Not optimal but pair that with the ak ridge and pv get the squeeze. Considering time of year (as yoda already said), let's get a sick blob of cold down here first. I'd rather have that and take chances rather than an active storm track and borderline temps. 

By my count, 5 of the GEFS members have a tail-end wave on the Saturday cutter, 4 of which would give us good snowstorms verbatim.  Also of note that many of the GEFS members are even colder than the Op for Sunday-Monday.    

Thanks for posting.  Now I don't have to look.  The ens members is what had me interested in this weekend.  Nice to know the possibility still exists in model land.

He has been making the case that the current temp progression is a stable one that could last a while...I don't think any need for him to calm down

I agree with this case too. Yea, the globals have been throwing the -nao cookie out there lately but there is no evidence that there is anything to get in the way of fast moving fronts, ridges, and troughs. 

We'll see where we are in a week or so. Maybe more promising signs start to appear in a timeframe with some model skill. 

Anyway.....70 on November 18th?

variability really makes it hard to get a big minus departure..after today's ~+12..we will only be around -0.5 for the month....last November we were -3 for the month because all the warm shots were simply reloads that were mostly of the +2 variety...having a bad Atlantic is brutal when it comes to entrenching cold shots even when the PAC is generating decent ones...I am skeptical how much of a big deal the cold will be starting Sunday/Monday...Euro is showing signs of se ridging,.,.the old 70 at ORF and 45 at MRB type scenario

variability really makes it hard to get a big minus departure..after today's ~+12..we will only be around -0.5 for the month....last November we were -3 for the month because all the warm shots were simply reloads that were mostly of the +2 variety...having a bad Atlantic is brutal when it comes to entrenching cold shots even when the PAC is generating decent ones...I am skeptical how much of a big deal the cold will be starting Sunday/Monday...Euro is showing signs of se ridging,.,.the old 70 at ORF and 45 at MRB type scenario

it just feels like the cold will not be that impressive but that's just a product of living here and worrying about what can go wrong. Realistically it's November...I just don't want to be able to cook my turkey on the sidewalk...50 and cloudy puts me in the spirit

Archived