BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
November 2013 obs and discussion

usedtobe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a foggy night with the easterly flow. The good news fro cold lovers is both the gfs and euro pop a positive PNA and the euro also has a neg nao in the long range.

GEFS really pumps the aluetian ridge too d13-16. Pretty good squeeze going on with polar air. To be honest, I kinda wish it was a few weeks later. I love a pattern like this (at least for temps) but happening in Nov may waste a pattern at our latitude. Now watch it verify just to flip in early Dec.

On the flip side, pattern changes like typically take longer than advertised and if we get an anomalous -AO to start December we could just be getting started...

GEFS really pumps the aluetian ridge too d13-16. Pretty good squeeze going on with polar air. To be honest, I kinda wish it was a few weeks later. I love a pattern like this (at least for temps) but happening in Nov may waste a pattern at our latitude. Now watch it verify just to flip in early Dec.

On the flip side, pattern changes like typically take longer than advertised and if we get an anomalous -AO to start December we could just be getting started...

Obviously a favorable pattern developing during Thanksgiving week has been advertised on many model runs the last few several days.  As you say, they often take a little longer to develop than what is first advertised on the long-range runs.  What we'll have to see if whether this is really a pattern change to something that is semi-permanent for several weeks or just a transient +PNA/-AO regime.  Either way, let's hope we can cash in and get some measurable snow during the period. 

Great contest by Matt. The models are quite variable for the time frame he chose. If the latest Gfs is correct, my guesses are gonna be bad.

The week of Thanksgiving still looks interesting. I don't know what the Euro is showing. And heading into Dec looks active at least in the gfs world.

An interesting thing is that the euro and gfs both show a closed h5 low tracking the desert sw into tx during the same timeframe. The euro has been showing a texarkana snowstorm for at least 3 runs...soooo....the low track is consistent from socal to tx. This is how we get miller A's.

Does it cut, get sheared out, or stick us? The WD index is in near record territory...

An interesting thing is that the euro and gfs both show a closed h5 low tracking the desert sw into tx during the same timeframe. The euro has been showing a texarkana snowstorm for at least 3 runs...soooo....the low track is consistent from socal to tx. This is how we get miller A's.

Does it cut, get sheared out, or stick us? The WD index is in near record territory...

42F and mod rain.  Book it. 

That time has shown a storm on various ens members for a few days. Storminess originating in the southern plains has too. Doesn't look cold enough for snow. Yet. Curious as to what the euro will show.

Can we completely ignore this upcoming weekend???

I've been looking at this weekend with one eye raised too. Thought I was the only one. It's likely nothing.

Week after is probably where it's at. I swear, if there's a storm, I'm bailing on my family in SC for Thanksgiving. This sickness is awful

Euro is definitely advertising potential at the end of the run. 

I don't know what to think about next weekend.  Glad I don't have to make a forecast.  I could reasonably believe high temps of anywhere from 35-65F. 

idk, as it stands right now, it looks like a front comes through over the weekend with "maybe" some light snow or flurries at the end

by the time day 10 rolls around, it looks cold and dry looking at the day 10 map and the freebie day 10 map

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/charts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Wind%20850%20and%20mslp!240!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2013111712!!/

http://www.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/catalog/samplers/banner/two_metre_temperature_and_30m_winds!240!North%20America!t2m!pop!od!oper!w_t2m30mw!2013111712!!/

Archived