• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
November 2013 obs and discussion

usedtobe

looks like the ensembles now except has the brief re-load warmth the weekend before thanksgiving

I think another cutter is certainly possible, probable even and is what I was mentioning in my post last night about a possible snow signal for Thanksgiving week.  It brings in the cold air and then a wave develops along the front.  This run just has the cold air come in so strongly the that displaced PV that everything is squashed except for some clipper-type vorts sliding around the PV.  I doubt the cold air ends up being this strong, but it's fun to look at.  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GEFS definitely do not leave the Op on an island when it comes to a very amplified and potentially very cold period for the last 7 days of the month.  More than a few drop the PV or a piece of the PV way far south toward the Lakes/New England/Ontario/Quebec somewhere in that time frame.  Most also show big phase shift in the AO and NAO with some looking like seriously negative AO/NAO combinations.    

Euro at the end of the run has something brewing in the gulf with a strong high building to the north. 

Yup...shows the pattern I've been describing quite well actually.  But the cold air looks a bit lacking, verbatim. A signal is there around that period.  

Yup...shows the pattern I've been describing quite well actually.  But the cold air looks a bit lacking, verbatim. A signal is there around that period.  

Heh, w/ a closed h5 low over texas, developing surface low in the gulf.....and a 1040+hp in se Canada....

Total eye candy that will be gone in 12 hours but still. The h5 config to our north wouldn't make it easy for a cut. Just saying..

Heh, w/ a closed h5 low over texas, developing surface low in the gulf.....and a 1040+hp in se Canada....

Total eye candy that will be gone in 12 hours but still. The h5 config to our north wouldn't make it easy for a cut. Just saying..

i love the weatherbell euro maps....so much to digest..so little snow

Would you say it's...meteorologically impossible?  Hmmmm?

16 day control run snow maps are the way to go. If they don't show anything then we know we're fooked.

ETA: tx panhandle and central ok snow weenies are going nuts right now. All 3 of them.

The interface is horrible thought. Really disorganized.

The interface is horrible thought. Really disorganized.

Yea, I agree. I'm still not used to it. The top nav on the main page reminds me of the first site I visited in the 90's. Then trying to remember which "group" certain maps are in....

I'm creating bookmarks for the important ones so i don't have to remember a maze of clicks. 

yeah...it is a pretty hilarious run...of course there is no skill out in that range so it doesnt really matter...

It possible it ends up shaking out like that though. It's not just the gfs op. Some ens members show it and the euro has had some flashes as well.

Models typically jump the gun breaking down things like a massive +AO and persistent -pna. Going from where we are now to a magical -ao/-nao and w coast ridge inside of 2 weeks time is expecting a lot. Not saying it can't or won't happen but past history say patience is probably a better bet than eagerness. Not saying you are eager or anything. Just making a general point.   

EVENTUALLY...THOUGH...ACTIVITY PROBABLY WILL EVOLVE INTO A SQUALL   LINE WITH DAMAGING STRAIGHT-LINE WINDS BECOMING THE MOST PROMINENT   SEVERE THREAT.  IT MAY NOT BE OUT OF THE QUESTION THAT THIS COULD   PROGRESS INTO PARTS OF THE MID ATLANTIC SEABOARD AND NORTHEAST LATE   SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY...BUT THIS IS STILL TOO UNCERTAIN TO   DELINEATE A REGIONAL SEVERE RISK AREA EAST OF THAT CURRENTLY   DEPICTED.  THEREAFTER...CONVECTIVE POTENTIAL THROUGH THE REMAINDER   OF THE PERIOD APPEARS LOW.

SPC mentions us for Sunday night into Monday for a squall line. Minimally  exciting.

After the very wet late spring and summer, it has turned dry, dry, dry here in last 2 months. 2.03 since 10-1 and

1.27 of that fell in 2 days on 10-7 and 10-8.

Those SW winds doing a number on high elevations this am, was 23 here at house when I got up at 6 am, 36 up at the

airport at 3700 foot.

Up to 34 here now at 9 am.

I think the next 2 weeks are still pretty uncertain due to the se ridge...GFS has been signaling a warmup next weekend, that might be more than just a re-load...possible 60s or even 70 wouldn't shock me....If I had to guess Thanksgiving right now, I'd prrobably go climo (low 50s) or maybe a notch below..I'll probably do a contest

I think the next 2 weeks are still pretty uncertain due to the se ridge...GFS has been signaling a warmup next weekend, that might be more than just a re-load...possible 60s or even 70 wouldn't shock me....If I had to guess Thanksgiving right now, I'd prrobably go climo (low 50s) or maybe a notch below..I'll probably do a contest

Looks like maybe one more warm up before the cold takes over. 12Z GFS unleashes the polar bears. 12Z CMC looked interesting at 240 for a coastal. 

Archived