Harmonie
    Newest Member
    Harmonie
NNE Autumn 2013 Thread

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could tell where the cold air hung on this morning.  Just light, sleety accumulation on the car and deck at my house, which sits at about 1200'.  Once I got down the hill going into S. Barre, there was more in the way of accumulation and the roads were a bit covered.  Headed up the other hill to I89 and it was the same, roads sleety down low but clear above 1000' or so.  There is more in the way of accumulation here in downtown Montpelier.  There was actually a state plow truck out and the roads and sidewalks are a bit slippery.  Looks like it had turned to snow as of about 10 minutes ago.

Just cold rain in Winooski as well. Nothing worse than 30's and rain IMO. Anyway here is to hoping upcoming snow chances pan out. Of course I will be traveling to Long Island on Wednesday when the coastal plays out. That should be interesting.

We have had light snow this AM temp 32.5F. Mixed now at 845am, actually mostly rain. Dirt surfaces are dusted white. Love the looks of the models for mid next week but I don't get too excited this far out. Travel for TG would be a nightmare up here. Fun to track something after months of boarder.

Just cold rain in Winooski as well. Nothing worse than 30's and rain IMO. Anyway here is to hoping upcoming snow chances pan out. Of course I will be traveling to Long Island on Wednesday when the coastal plays out. That should be interesting.

Snowing pretty good here this morning for the past 90 minutes or so... I'm up to 0.7" of new snow.  MVL's been reporting 3/4sm -SN which seems about right....just a steady light to borderline moderate snow.  This is my place at 750ft.  No idea how much the ski area picked up or what happened up there yet.

The dog is back in her glory trying to roll around on her back in the 1> inch, haha.

I noticed an interesting zone forecast for here in Lamoille County....look at the snow forecast tonight, haha.

Today...Cloudy. Snow showers likely or a slight chance of light freezing rain this morning...then a chance of rain or snow showers this afternoon. Snow accumulation a dusting to 2 inches. Ice accumulation around a trace. Highs in the upper 30s. Light and variable winds. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Tonight...Snow showers likely or a chance of rain showers until midnight...then snow showers likely after midnight. Total snow accumulation of 4 to 6 inches. Lows in the lower 20s. West winds around 10 mph...becoming northwest 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 35 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Nothing yet at my place - radar showed an E-W slot of nothing overhead. 

Early GFS shows a real bomb next week, 1.5-2.5" qpf with all snow for the north and for places well inland, albeit day 6-7.  However, given my (non)experience with big (as in 10"+) Nov snows, this might actually happen, because I'll be in Decatur, IL.  When we lived in BGR (73-75), Fort Kent had 2 double-digit Nov events and Farmington one.  When we lived in Ft.Kent (76-85), BGR and Farmington each had a 10"+ Nov storm.  The year after we moved south, Ft.Kent had 21" Thanksgiving week.  Farmington got 11" in 11/89 but we had 8.5" in Gardiner.  There are other "mislocation" storms, too.  Since we moved to Maine, 10"+ November snowfalls have happened in all the places we've lived in Maine, just not during the time we lived there.

Nothing yet at my place - radar showed an E-W slot of nothing overhead.

Early GFS shows a real bomb next week, 1.5-2.5" qpf with all snow for the north and for places well inland, albeit day 6-7. However, given my (non)experience with big (as in 10"+) Nov snows, this might actually happen, because I'll be in Decatur, IL. When we lived in BGR (73-75), Fort Kent had 2 double-digit Nov events and Farmington one. When we lived in Ft.Kent (76-85), BGR and Farmington each had a 10"+ Nov storm. The year after we moved south, Ft.Kent had 21" Thanksgiving week. Farmington got 11" in 11/89 but we had 8.5" in Gardiner. There are other "mislocation" storms, too. Since we moved to Maine, 10"+ November snowfalls have happened in all the places we've lived in Maine, just not during the time we lived there.

Thanks in advance for leaving the state!

Had some legit non-accumulating light snow for a bit, but that has since tapered off. All eyes on the mid-week system.

Just flurries when I left for work at 0530, but according to wife we ended up with 0.5" of snow.  Just 20 miles to south here at work, it was more of a mix of snow, sleet, freezing rain.  Now just some cold rain drops out there right now.

Here is a shot wife took of the driveway this morning.

post-629-0-55966300-1385141153_thumb.jpg

A little reminder to everyone here to watch out for black ice if you're out and about tomorrow morning.

Yup.  We hope to be on the road by 6 AM, to lessen the amount of after dark driving in deer-rich western PA.  Might catch some LES flakes Sunday morning, and should be cold (mid-20s?) when we reach DEC.  Two years ago, over New Years, they were still picking salad greens from the cold frame; not this year..

Cold holding on very well today in N, NH mount Wash auto profile below freezing down to 1600' still. A extremely cold period for the Presidentials on the way.  Man I can't imagine what conditions on the rockpile will be tomm nite.  Cat 3 gusts and temps around zero?

Yeah some Century Club attempts maybe? :)

Great long term discussion by Banacos...

.LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/...
AS OF 300 PM EST FRIDAY...EXTENDED PORTION OF THE FORECAST WILL
CONTINUE TO FEATURE COLD TEMPERATURES AND POSSIBILITY OF A
SIGNIFICANT STORM IMPACTING THE NORTH COUNTRY ON WEDNESDAY.
MONDAY WILL BE MAINLY DRY AND COLD WITH SURFACE RIDGE OF HIGH
PRESSURE SLIDING SOUTHEASTWARD DURING THE DAYTIME HOURS. A WEAK
LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM PASSING NORTH OF OUR FORECAST AREA MONDAY
NIGHT INTO TUESDAY WILL BRING A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS TO THE
CWA...ESPECIALLY OUR NORTHERN ZONES. COASTAL STORM IS TAKING
SHAPE DURING THIS TIME PERIOD OVER THE GULF COAST AND SLOWLY
TRACKING EASTWARD TUESDAY NIGHT TO THE CAROLINA COAST BY WED
MORNING. ECMWF BRINGS THIS LOW ACROSS OUR SWEET SPOT...RIGHT OFF
THE COAST OF CAPE COD ON WED AFTERNOON. GFS IS SLOWER AND FURTHER
EAST WITH THIS SYSTEM...KEEPING THE LOW CENTER FURTHER OUT TO
SEA. THE ECMWF BRINGS UP POSSIBILITY FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACROSS
VERMONT FROM TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT. A LOT OF THE