BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why are folks talking wednesday, for three days this was suppose to start monday nite late and last thru thursday morning, first wave monday nite and second wave tuesday nite/wednesday, are models playing a few games before they finally lock in?  i also thought there would be a wsw out for late tomorrow nite already.  will have to just wait and see what happens.  I know in storms past that moisture seems to always creep further north than is forecasted.  we'll see about that in due time. 

Just to temper expectations a bit...it is the NAM! One of America's worst models we run. While fun to look at, the NAM has let me down a lot more often than it has helped my forecast. I continue to advise extreme caution when looking at its solutions. It also has had terrible run-to-run consistency.

A few days ago, the Euro showed this week as toe main events: Monday and Wednesday. For whatever reason, we are basically back to that general idea. Light snow Monday, half inch at best across the mountains during the afternoon. Then Tuesday looks like maybe a few flurries as the southern storm gets going. Wednesday should be the main show.

Just to temper expectations a bit...it is the NAM! One of America's worst models we run. While fun to look at, the NAM has let me down a lot more often than it has helped my forecast. I continue to advise extreme caution when looking at its solutions. It also has had terrible run-to-run consistency.

A few days ago, the Euro showed this week as toe main events: Monday and Wednesday. For whatever reason, we are basically back to that general idea. Light snow Monday, half inch at best across the mountains during the afternoon. Then Tuesday looks like maybe a few flurries as the southern storm gets going. Wednesday should be the main show.

The main reason I'm excited about the NAM is that it was one of the only models shunning WNC, but now the majority of the models have significant snowfall for us.

why are folks talking wednesday, for three days this was suppose to start monday nite late and last thru thursday morning, first wave monday nite and second wave tuesday nite/wednesday, are models playing a few games before they finally lock in? i also thought there would be a wsw out for late tomorrow nite already. will have to just wait and see what happens. I know in storms past that moisture seems to always creep further north than is forecasted. we'll see about that in due time.

We are too far away for any winter headlines yet. The main deal should be Wednesday. Until then, we have a dusting or so of snow, which is well below any advisory criteria. Wednesday is still 70-90 hours away and a lot can, and will, change between now and then.

To much model inconsistency for me really. I still like my first call of 4-8 inches but I am with tracker. I am not sold on a big snow yet. We have gotten screwed to many times this year. Really would like to believe the NAM but hey it is the NAM. The euro seems to be more on our side and the GFS is like well were am I at?

For some strange reason, most models want to leave Graham County in southwest North Carolina out of the heavy accumulations This area is typically a big winner in these types of events. Elevations nearing 6000ft.

I really would not worry too much about that yet. Still we are 3 day away from the main event it seems. A lot of changes afoot.

To much model inconsistency for me really. I still like my first call of 4-8 inches but I am with tracker. I am not sold on a big snow yet. We have gotten screwed to many times this year. Really would like to believe the NAM but hey it is the NAM. The euro seems to be more on our side and the GFS is like well were am I at?

Chris Justus agrees with you. He is the meteorologist for WYFF but is WNC born and bred so he studies a great deal for us. Here is the video he just released 10 mins ago.  :snowing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUa1lH8Eqj0&feature=youtu.be

Chris Justus agrees with you. He is the meteorologist for WYFF but is WNC born and bred so he studies a great deal for us. Here is the video he just released 10 mins ago.  :snowing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUa1lH8Eqj0&feature=youtu.be

Thank you for the link. Very informative.

I think I will hang my hat on the Euro Ensemble means and go with 8" locally on Wed...

I agree Mike. I really like the Euro solution.

Wow man! Bold call this far out still. I'm yet to be convinced seeing that the GFS is still not on board fully.

I've been curious as to why you've been putting so much on the GFS for this event. Sure it has been decent all winter, but there is a general model consensus outside of the GFS about a big winter storm, plus the GFS has been all over the place with this event. 

Just trying to learn!  :snowman:

I've been curious as to why you've been putting so much on the GFS for this event. Sure it has been decent all winter, but there is a general model consensus outside of the GFS about a big winter storm, plus the GFS has been all over the place with this event.

Just trying to learn! :snowman:

The GFS is all over the place. But so is the NAM. And you correctly pointed out that the GFS has been very good so far this winter. So among the American models, it's an easy choice to go with the GFS.

Then the CMC seems very aggressive on this storm, despite that it had a very high verification score as of late. The Euro has been flipping and shifting too; one day west next day east, and so on.

I think the ideal forecast is a GFS and Euro blend. But my biggest reason for holding back is that it is still 3 days away. We were all burned by last weeks forecast for a big event so I am very cautious and watching trends carefully before showing my hand.

A couple more trends guys and we will all be digging out.  This should be party time for this thread, heck we are most likely all going to get at least 3+ inches of snow.  That hasn't happened in 3 years.  I see a lot of doom and gloom about a certain model but it still gives us measurable snowfall.  It feels like some of you are hoping for a trend away and while I can see you trying to be realistic, the gfs typically will trend northwest and I can't see that hurting our snowfall whatsoever.

A couple more trends guys and we will all be digging out.  This should be party time for this thread, heck we are most likely all going to get at least 3+ inches of snow.  That hasn't happened in 3 years.  I see a lot of doom and gloom about a certain model but it still gives us measurable snowfall.  It feels like some of you are hoping for a trend away and while I can see you trying to be realistic, the gfs typically will trend northwest and I can't see that hurting our snowfall whatsoever.

Yea, at this point, even without a trend, I don't see much to complain about. Even the GFS is giving much of the mountains .50 QPF.

Archived