• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

I now it will be a minor event tonight and into tomorrow morning with very light precipitation coming in but the GFS and the RAP are pretty bullish on bring some snow into WNC. To some extent the NAM even brings some snow into WNC but the NAM has been pretty horrible lately in my opinion. I think the SW mountains will see the brunt of the moisture.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I now it will be a minor event tonight and into tomorrow morning with very light precipitation coming in but the GFS and the RAP are pretty bullish on bring some snow into WNC. To some extent the NAM even brings some snow into WNC but the NAM has been pretty horrible lately in my opinion. I think the SW mountains will see the brunt of the moisture.

Radar is way better looking than models-expect an inch out of this possibly on top.

Radar is way better looking than models-expect an inch out of this possibly on top.

Ya they are. Not sure why the modes are underplaying moisture here in the mountains lately but I will take it. Could see a blanket of snow down this way. Also the models are looking better for a minor event for Saturday morning also that could give an inch or two of snow.

Yeah this kind of reminds me of the last little snow we got. Models dried up the northern stream of the storm but it persisted and brought everyone at least an inch (except the airport)

There is a lot of dry air down below..so this might end up being virga except in the highest elevation. Probably why the models don't have a good handle on this.  Should know in about 3 hours or so if the precip is falling hard enough to quickly saturate layers to the surface or will move off before it has a chance to finish the job.

Here is the latest form GSP.

RABUN-MADISON-SWAIN-HAYWOOD-BUNCOMBE-GRAHAM-NORTHERN JACKSON-
MACON-SOUTHERN JACKSON-TRANSYLVANIA-HENDERSON-
RUTHERFORD MOUNTAINS-POLK MOUNTAINS-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CLAYTON...CHEROKEE...BRYSON CITY...
WAYNESVILLE...ASHEVILLE...SYLVA...FRANKLIN...BREVARD...
HENDERSONVILLE...LAKE LURE

LIGHT WINTRY MIX POSSIBLE THIS EVENING OVER THE MOUNTAINS OF
SOUTHWEST NORTH CAROLINA AND FAR NORTHEAST GEORGIA...

A WEAK UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE WILL CROSS THE SOUTHERN
APPALACHIANS THIS EVENING...HAVING ENOUGH MOISTURE TO BRING A
CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION TO THE AREA. TEMPERATURES WILL BE COLD
ENOUGH FOR IT TO FALL AS SNOW OVER HIGHER ELEVATIONS...
PARTICULARLY IN THE BALSAMS. ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO BE
LESS THAN A HALF INCH. HOWEVER...ROADS MAY BECOME SLICK IN SPOTS
AS THEY BECOME COVERED IN SNOW...OR AS MELTWATER FREEZES DUE TO
FALLING TEMPERATURES LATER IN THE EVENING. ROADS THROUGH HIGH
MOUNTAIN GAPS ARE MOST AT RISK. DRIVE WITH EXTRA CAUTION
IN THE MOUNTAINS TONIGHT. SLOW DOWN...LEAVE EXTRA STOPPING
DISTANCE BETWEEN VEHICLES...AND TAKE CURVES SLOWLY.

Here is the latest form GSP.

RABUN-MADISON-SWAIN-HAYWOOD-BUNCOMBE-GRAHAM-NORTHERN JACKSON-

MACON-SOUTHERN JACKSON-TRANSYLVANIA-HENDERSON-

RUTHERFORD MOUNTAINS-POLK MOUNTAINS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CLAYTON...CHEROKEE...BRYSON CITY...

WAYNESVILLE...ASHEVILLE...SYLVA...FRANKLIN...BREVARD...

HENDERSONVILLE...LAKE LURE

LIGHT WINTRY MIX POSSIBLE THIS EVENING OVER THE MOUNTAINS OF

SOUTHWEST NORTH CAROLINA AND FAR NORTHEAST GEORGIA...

A WEAK UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE WILL CROSS THE SOUTHERN

APPALACHIANS THIS EVENING...HAVING ENOUGH MOISTURE TO BRING A

CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION TO THE AREA. TEMPERATURES WILL BE COLD

ENOUGH FOR IT TO FALL AS SNOW OVER HIGHER ELEVATIONS...

PARTICULARLY IN THE BALSAMS. ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO BE

LESS THAN A HALF INCH. HOWEVER...ROADS MAY BECOME SLICK IN SPOTS

AS THEY BECOME COVERED IN SNOW...OR AS MELTWATER FREEZES DUE TO

FALLING TEMPERATURES LATER IN THE EVENING. ROADS THROUGH HIGH

MOUNTAIN GAPS ARE MOST AT RISK. DRIVE WITH EXTRA CAUTION

IN THE MOUNTAINS TONIGHT. SLOW DOWN...LEAVE EXTRA STOPPING

DISTANCE BETWEEN VEHICLES...AND TAKE CURVES SLOWLY.

confusing, this says the southwest mtns. then it says asheville, asheville is the central mtns.   :snowing:

Ended up with just another dusting of snow and 20 this morning.

Looking at the latest GFS..now looks more like a snow changing to freezing rain to rain scenario with about 1/2" QPF for next week's storm.  I think this solution is too warm..too weak with the low.  The Euro is colder-wetter but seems to really unload in the Piedmont areas of Georgia/S. Carolina which is likely unrealistic just from a climatology stand point.

Ended up with just another dusting of snow and 20 this morning.

Looking at the latest GFS..now looks more like a snow changing to freezing rain to rain scenario with about 1/2" QPF for next week's storm. I think this solution is too warm..too weak with the low. The Euro is colder-wetter but seems to really unload in the Piedmont areas of Georgia/S. Carolina which is likely unrealistic just from a climatology stand point.

we ride the Canadian. Foot of snow for us.

I will feel a whole lot better about this storm if the models don't lose it through today and tomorrows runs.  I really hope we can all call this the snowstorm of 2014 but I am cautiously getting my hopes up.  There has been incredible consistency though so who knows.

Ya I would really would like to see the Euro verify but not getting hopes up yet. Just enjoying the little snows and the cold again.

0z Euro "weenie" run shows ALL 50 members with at least two inches of wintry precip (IP, ZR, snow) from 2/11 to 2/14. Half of it is more than 6 inches. The mean is almost 7.5 inches, which is pretty impressive. Last time we got this good of members this far out, it snowed 3 inches here. We'll see, but like others noted, I would feel better if models don't lose it today.

0z Euro "weenie" run shows ALL 50 members with at least two inches of wintry precip (IP, ZR, snow) from 2/11 to 2/14. Half of it is more than 6 inches. The mean is almost 7.5 inches, which is pretty impressive. Last time we got this good of members this far out, it snowed 3 inches here. We'll see, but like others noted, I would feel better if models don't lose it today.

Where do you find the euro members?

I assume this is for KAVL?

Archived