BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an insane difference in climates today. Sun popped out across the piedmont and temps shot up. Feels like I need to put shorts on at 52 degrees while our mountain folks are seeing flakes fly. And this potential for tomorrow night and friday does need a separate thread "if" the threat is real. I just tried catching up in the model thread and one could get easily lost with so many systems being discussed.

What an insane difference in climates today. Sun popped out across the piedmont and temps shot up. Feels like I need to put shorts on at 52 degrees while our mountain folks are seeing flakes fly. And this potential for tomorrow night and friday does need a separate thread "if" the threat is real. I just tried catching up in the model thread and one could get easily lost with so many systems being discussed.

Lol it is 48 down here in the valley with sunshine.  20 Degree temp difference in only about 40-50 miles as the bird flies.  As for Friday I would love to the a NW trend take hold!

Lol it is 48 down here in the valley with sunshine.  20 Degree temp difference in only about 40-50 miles as the bird flies.  As for Friday I would love to the a NW trend take hold!

My temp went from 42.3 at 12pm down to 27.4 now. It was one of those fronts that you could tell almost the minute it came through. The wind changed direction instantly and down went the temps.

Good deal '85!  Clouds have finally moved overhead here in downtown.  Lots of clouds on water vapor, will be interesting to see if we get some flakes here.

Ya it is those small flakes but the wind will cut you in two. Nice maybe squeeze out some flurries in town.

Steady light snow here but had a couple of nice moderate showers. Have a dusting already. Where'd this come from? Wasn't expecting this.

Nice Joe! Ya the models were not really picking up on this. Looks moisture is being squeezed out across the mountains. Nice surprise.

Cancelled my trip down to the mtn today. Too much snow locally!  Will try next weekend.

Waist deep on my front sidewalk !

Nice Mike you lucky thing you! Man yall have been getting hammered all winter! Looking at the RAP it looks like this flow continues right through tomorrow morning along the TN/NC boarder. Temp down to 25 degrees.

Ended up with just a dusting up top and 17 degrees. The pic of the relative humidity field at 850 mb for part of last night. The area in the pink box tells the normal story...all moisture sucked away. The Smokies are absolutely killing me this year! (Note that Met's location is just outside that box in Haywood county where the upstream ridges aren't nearly as tall.) 

post-9361-0-66789100-1391686296_thumb.jp

That would be great Mike really that would be a nice event but you know how these things end up disappearing. Lol we as Joe said what a wake up call! Winter is back! Temp down to 19 degrees with about a quarter inch of snow on the ground. I have reports of upwards of about an inch closer to the boarder. Beautiful rime ice on the mountains also. Still getting very light snow.. Very winter like outside. Oh Mike you will get yours bud.

Latest GFS looks good for Tuesday night/Wed.  Lots of qpf and model soundings should be just barely cold enough to support snow. No warm nose showing up over the mtns. Isothermal layer hugging the 0 deg C line..drops below near 6000 feet and above. Low-levels winds are on low side for enhancement but Blue Ridge areas are favored.

Latest GFS looks good for Tuesday night/Wed. Lots of qpf and model soundings should be just barely cold enough to support snow. No warm nose showing up over the mtns. Isothermal layer hugging the 0 deg C line..drops below near 6000 feet and above. Low-levels winds are on low side for enhancement but Blue Ridge areas are favored.

12z GFS showed .27 inches of snow followed by .65 inches of ice for Asheville, I believe.

12z GFS showed .27 inches of snow followed by .65 inches of ice for Asheville, I believe.

Per bufkit analysis on the 12z GFS for KAVL it looks like it drops 2.3" of snow (with cobb05 conversion) and like you said .65" of ZR so this taken verbatim would be an absolute mess.  Looks like 12z gfs bufkit is all snow in Boone with a solid 3-4" for Tuesday night thru Wednesday with an inch of snow also showing up between Saturday and Monday.

Per bufkit analysis on the 12z GFS for KAVL it looks like it drops 2.3" of snow (with cobb05 conversion) and like you said .65" of ZR so this taken verbatim would be an absolute mess.  Looks like 12z gfs bufkit is all snow in Boone with a solid 3-4" for Tuesday night thru Wednesday with an inch of snow also showing up between Saturday and Monday.

Looking at point soundings..not see the freezing rain potential. (Either at or all below freezing.) Here is an example.

At the later half of the storm..looks it goes just above 0 but not much. It would likely wet bulb to just below zero if this model sounding is to be believed. (For sure-the highest elevations would be at or just above the slight warm nose leading to snow.) At worse this sounding would represent a little sleet.

post-9361-0-55912600-1391712666_thumb.jp

post-9361-0-64658300-1391712860_thumb.jp

Archived