BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yikes!  How high off the ground is your thermometer?  Also is it in a low spot? Looks like you are currently tied with Burnsville as the coldest spot in the State this morning!

Looking at the models this morning..hmm don't really see anything but the potential of a lot of rain until 240 hours out on both the Euro/GFS which of course it too far forward to take seriously. 

We live in a perfect spot to radiate. I have two thermometers one out in the open about 6 feet off the ground and one under the porch about 6 feet also. Both were reading -6 this morning. We live in a holler lol surrounded by mountains on both sides rising up over 4000+ feet. We also have the river at the foot of the mountain also which I think helps with cooling. Funny thing is we do horrible in CAD situations.

12z euro has a bomb day 8!

Yeah Franklin saw the 12z euro looks very nice.  Temps have yet to really be a problem this year so I would expect that trend to continue which could be why such a huge cad signature has been showing up on all the models.  Last storm the cold was very well modeled but without the moisture so hopefully we are seeing some over correction for that.

To my amateur eye the global models and the Euro in particular looks a lot like the Dec 18th 2009 snowstorm that slammed the mountains (including Asheville) and the I-40 Corridor. As cold as January has been, if we could get a February blockbuster winter would be a complete success for this part of the country.

To my amateur eye the global models and the Euro in particular looks a lot like the Dec 18th 2009 snowstorm that slammed the mountains (including Asheville) and the I-40 Corridor. As cold as January has been, if we could get a February blockbuster winter would be a complete success for this part of the country.

That would be a great redux. I remember that storm very well. That storm kicked off a great winter that season. They were only calling or 2-4 inches here in Haywood and kept saying the snow will change to rain by afternoon. Well that never happened and we ended up with 16 inches of heavy wet snow that caused major problems here in Haywood. Car were littered all along the interstate. I have never seen anything like it.

Don't really like being in the position of the stick in the mud regarding the potential of future snowstorms but just not feeling the love.

To add what I previously posted-pretty clear what is going on. Take a careful look at this:

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

Nice height anomalies near Alaska(due to the warm North Pacific water) which is good since produces a downstream trough but negative height anomalies going forward near Greenland..not good as produces a zonal out to sea type of storm track locally if there is anything at all.  Looks like the bitter cold recently won't be repeated as the troughs going forward will not be as deep plus coupled with the slow normal seasonal rise in temps will shift the baroclinic zone Northward.  This favors extremely cold pattern in the Upper Midwest with a series of lows just to the SE of that moving up the Ohio valley West of the mtns. Behind each system, there is always some potential for NW upslope but temps at 850m will be -10 C or warmer generally so significant snows are unlikely.(except in WV and Northward.)

So the next 240 hours will likely be bust locally. (When you have to go out 240 hours to see something good-you know you are in trouble!)  After that-well who knows really but the long range progs for Feb-April are not encouraging.  At some point, it would be nice if a negative AO/NAO type pattern would show up to buckle the jet stream before Winter is over but I'm getting a little tired waiting for that to happen.  If a different pattern doesn't emerge by mid-February-might be time to start to panic.

Meantime..enjoy the nice weather! No worries about the snow-I'm sure a decent storm or two will still make things interesting around here before Winter is over. (Or I could be completely wrong which wouldn't be a bad thing-I learn more that way!) 

Don't really like being in the position of the stick in the mud regarding the potential of future snowstorms but just not feeling the love.

To add what I previously posted-pretty clear what is going on. Take a careful look at this:

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

Nice height anomalies near Alaska(due to the warm North Pacific water) which is good since produces a downstream trough but negative height anomalies going forward near Greenland..not good as produces a zonal out to sea type of storm track locally if there is anything at all. Looks like the bitter cold recently won't be repeated as the troughs going forward will not be as deep plus coupled with the slow normal seasonal rise in temps will shift the baroclinic zone Northward. This favors extremely cold pattern in the Upper Midwest with a series of lows just to the SE of that moving up the Ohio valley West of the mtns. Behind each system, there is always some potential for NW upslope but temps at 850m will be -10 C or warmer generally so significant snows are unlikely.(except in WV and Northward.)

So the next 240 hours will likely be bust locally. (When you have to go out 240 hours to see something good-you know you are in trouble!) After that-well who knows really but the long range progs for Feb-April are not encouraging. At some point, it would be nice if a negative AO/NAO type pattern would show up to buckle the jet stream before Winter is over but I'm getting a little tired waiting for that to happen. If a different pattern doesn't emerge by mid-February-might be time to start to panic.

Meantime..enjoy the nice weather! No worries about the snow-I'm sure a decent storm or two will still make things interesting around here before Winter is over. (Or I could be completely wrong which wouldn't be a bad thing-I learn more that way!)

spoken like a true flatlander. J/K. I would not worry too much about it.we average more snow in February and March than December. We are still in the game in April, and at your elevation May. The nao has been positive and the i-95 cites from Virginia to Boston are at or above average in snowfall, go figure. They need it more than you who looks down on the blue ridge parkway.

spoken like a true flatlander. J/K. I would not worry too much about it.we average more snow in February and March than December. We are still in the game in April, and at your elevation May. The nao has been positive and the i-95 cites from Virginia to Boston are at or above average in snowfall, go figure. They need it more than you who looks down on the blue ridge parkway.

Ha!  Well those flat lands that I'm been living at lately have picked up to 20 feet of snow in places this season vs one foot on the mtn top in the current pattern so it should be no surprise of my current pessimistic mood! :)  I did grew up in the mtns of Virginia but have sadly been have from them too long so really can't deny the flatlander comment.. Hope to change that in the relatively near future.  If I'm feeling particularly mean/inconsiderate tomorrow-I've will posts pics of the possible one new foot of snow that may fall on my head at my MI house.  I just as soon have it snow there than on the mtn this coming week since I'm coming up Thursday morning and it makes it a lot easier to get things done if the ground is bare. 

Regarding Spring snowfalls..hard to imagine it won't snow more then than so far this season as I'm running about 60" below normal in snowfall right now!

Ha!  Well those flat lands that I'm been living at lately have picked up to 20 feet of snow in places this season vs one foot on the mtn top in the current pattern so it should be no surprise of my current pessimistic mood! :)  I did grew up in the mtns of Virginia but have sadly been have from them too long so really can't deny the flatlander comment.. Hope to change that in the relatively near future.  If I'm feeling particularly mean/inconsiderate tomorrow-I've will posts pics of the possible one new foot of snow that may fall on my head at my MI house.  I just as soon have it snow there than on the mtn this coming week since I'm coming up Thursday morning and it makes it a lot easier to get things done if the ground is bare. 

Regarding Spring snowfalls..hard to imagine it won't snow more then than so far this season as I'm running about 60" below normal in snowfall right now!

Sounds to me like you have been hogging it for your noerthern buddies. How about sharing some love with your southern bretheren!? :snowwindow:  :snowing:  :shiver:

Ha! Well those flat lands that I'm been living at lately have picked up to 20 feet of snow in places this season vs one foot on the mtn top in the current pattern so it should be no surprise of my current pessimistic mood! :) I did grew up in the mtns of Virginia but have sadly been have from them too long so really can't deny the flatlander comment.. Hope to change that in the relatively near future. If I'm feeling particularly mean/inconsiderate tomorrow-I've will posts pics of the possible one new foot of snow that may fall on my head at my MI house. I just as soon have it snow there than on the mtn this coming week since I'm coming up Thursday morning and it makes it a lot easier to get things done if the ground is bare.

seems like it has been a great lakes winter! Have you built a glacier yet?

seems like it has been a great lakes winter! Have you built a glacier yet?

No..but if the next 3 storms follow their predicated path-it may start to feel that way! :sled: Delaware in the U.P.  and the area SW of Traverse City have done exceptionally well with lake storms. No end to them. Even last evening-a really cool but brief blizzard blew through locally knocking visibility down to nothing and drifting over all the country roads once again.

I will have to invite you up on the mtn top in May so you can play in the snow and build a snowman while the valley folk finish planting their gardens! .   :snowing: The previous owner of the mtn top warned me about frequent late season storms that have affected the mtn in recent times.

FYI..this pic says it all:

post-9361-0-23263600-1391184571_thumb.jp

NC High Country Winter Halftime Snow Totals

Courtesy of Raysweather.com

http://www.hcpress.com/news/rays-weather-halftime-snow-totals-boone-11-1-inches-beech-mountain-37-6-inches-sugar-mountain-44-inches.html

Boone:

2013-14: 11.1 inches

2012-13: 36.1 inches

2011-12: 13.7 inches

Beech Mountain:

2013-14: 37.6 inches

2012-13: 104.9 inches

2011-12: 48.7 inches

Sugar Mountain:

2013-14: 44 inches

2012-13: 120 inches

2011-12: 48.5 inches

ya down to 25 here also. Some type of inversion.

Heatwave on the mtn top this morning with a temp of 40 degrees!  With the heavy rain expected tonight-complete Spring thaw conditions expected. Maybe my grass will start growing? :)

Don't have much hope yet for next weekend's storm but I will be watching it especially since will be on the mtn top when it blows through.

Pic from this morning at my MI location.  Not too bad-can still see my car! :sled:

Man, this is an event driven thread if I've ever seen one. Apparently no love for the mountains with the up coming systems?

(and no, I'm not going to read any other threads besides this one to find out. I'm lazy that way. :) )

The second storm is the one I have my eyes on Joe. Models are having a hard time with it. Could be a big one if things break right. Guess it's a wait & see game right now though.

Man, this is an event driven thread if I've ever seen one. Apparently no love for the mountains with the up coming systems?

(and no, I'm not going to read any other threads besides this one to find out. I'm lazy that way.  :) )

Joe glad you love this thread. Have not really looked closely at the models. Been out enjoying the sun and warmth with the family. I know one thing we have gotten a lot of rainfall from this past event which came in at just the right time. We had a small fire here in Haywood this weekend.

Archived