• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

Let's not get carried away with the spring talk Mike. You may want to look at the Euro. Has a nice gradient pattern setting up and a nice storm for us also even though it is in the mid range.

Although Euro suggests the baroclinic zone will be nearby initially..with the SW wind flowing into...rain will be the likely form of precip.

Even looking at the 8 to 14 day outlook..strongly suggests the presence of a SE ridge with areas a little further North like Virginia probably getting some action. http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/index.php

Looking further still..maybe blow torch weather towards later part of February per the Euro: http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/updated-long-range-and-some-snow/22641277  (Scroll down)

Finally-the Outlook for Feb/Mar/April suggests above normal temps with a storm track through the Ohio Valley: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=1

It does seem a shame that some exceptionally cold weather recently netted so little snowfall locally. Still, as I said previously-Spring time brings those cold upper lows that can dump a crazy amount of snow in the higher elevations. Thats what I'm looking forward to!

The big Mt. Pisgah storm that dropped five feet of snow in May, 1992 as an example: http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/weathermatrix/anniversary-of-freak-five-feet-of-nc-snow/18831

So in a nutshell-I think with the involving weather pattern...significant NW flow events may be over for the season.  Still a shot at some coastal development and upper low scenarios.

post-9361-0-09595500-1390998290_thumb.jp

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the Asheville airport reported 0.9" of snow with this event.  What is odd is that they reported a liquid equivalent of 0.14", making a snow ratio of roughly 7:1.  WHAT?!  There is absolutely no way that those ratios we had yesterday were that moist.  Thoughts??

No where close. Even at the beginning of the event they were much higher. In the obs thread last night even the posters around Charlotte were talking about what a light dry snow it was.

Had a grand total of 2 inches, almost an inch of that coming last night. Went negative for the fourth time this year. Temp down to -1.1.  We've rented a house on the beach in Belize for our winter vacation for week after next. I've never been there before but I don't care what it's like, I just know it'll be warm. I can't wait!  :sizzle:

So the Asheville airport reported 0.9" of snow with this event.  What is odd is that they reported a liquid equivalent of 0.14", making a snow ratio of roughly 7:1.  WHAT?!  There is absolutely no way that those ratios we had yesterday were that moist.  Thoughts??

Ya not sure how they came up with that but no way like Joe said. Also wow Joe a nice vacation. Take pictures man would love to see the scenery down there. Temp has dropped here to negative 1 also with 3.5 inches of snow on the ground. We have diamond dust again this morning. The snow last night is beautiful! Looks like glitter is everywhere.

I re-read the paste job I posted & saw this:

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 24

HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION.

& as for you and Belize Joe.....UGH!!! You live a really tough life, I have a lot of sympathy for you. :sizzle:  :thumbsup:

I re-read the paste job I posted & saw this:

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 24

HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION.

& as for you and Belize Joe.....UGH!!! You live a really tough life, I have a lot of sympathy for you. :sizzle:  :thumbsup:

We go somewhere every Feb. I love the mountains in the winter but by Feb. we're ready for a nice warm break.

Does anyone have a good region/statewide link for snow totals? I can't find one. I want see who the "winner" is with this storm.

We go somewhere every Feb. I love the mountains in the winter but by Feb. we're ready for a nice warm break.

Does anyone have a good region/statewide link for snow totals? I can't find one. I want see who the "winner" is with this storm.

There is this map put out by NWS Eastern Region.  Just glancing at it..not sure any of the models/forecasters did a particularly good job with this last storm.

post-9361-0-69696100-1391009332_thumb.jp

PROFILES MAY FALL QUICKLY FROM THE W WITH POSSIBLE FROPA
AND CAD SCOURING ON WED...BUT WILL KEEP MOUNTAIN PRECIP ALL RAIN
VERSUS SNOW THROUGH WED AFTN FOR NOW GIVEN THE HIGH UNCERTAINTY IN
TIMING. THE MON THROUGH WED PERIOD WILL NEED CLOSE WATCHING SINCE A
WINTRY MIX ZONE N OF THE WARM SECTOR WILL BE QUITE POSSIBLE...BUT
THERE IS JUST TOO MUCH SPREAD TO PIN THAT DOWN AT THIS POINT.
  This is from GSP this evening for next Wednesday Feb. 5.

Although Euro suggests the baroclinic zone will be nearby initially..with the SW wind flowing into...rain will be the likely form of precip.

Even looking at the 8 to 14 day outlook..strongly suggests the presence of a SE ridge with areas a little further North like Virginia probably getting some action. http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/index.php

Looking further still..maybe blow torch weather towards later part of February per the Euro: http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/updated-long-range-and-some-snow/22641277 (Scroll down)

Finally-the Outlook for Feb/Mar/April suggests above normal temps with a storm track through the Ohio Valley: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=1

Long range models have been a joke this season, I wouldn't put a penny into any of them. Winter is on for the NC mtns through March as far as I'm concerned. Let's not forget March 1960, true winter pattern right there.

Long range models have been a joke this season, I wouldn't put a penny into any of them. Winter is on for the NC mtns through March as far as I'm concerned. Let's not forget March 1960, true winter pattern right there.

Ya for some reason I have a feeling we are going to have a big month for winter in March. Ya the models have really overdone the SE ridge this season.

Ya for some reason I have a feeling we are going to have a big month for winter in March. Ya the models have really overdone the SE ridge this season.

Looks like 18z gfs is picking up the signal tonight on a big hit.  Its never a bad thing for the euro and gfs to be lined up and I think we sit in the best spot in the south to cash in on the pattern that looks to be setting up.

Took few snow pictures around UNCA today. I'll post few of them tomorrow when I do have time. In meanwhile, it look like the low temperature forecast from NWS might get shattered. Already down to 8 degrees at KAVL and it's forecasted to be 8 degrees.

Temp down to -6 so far.

Yikes!  How high off the ground is your thermometer?  Also is it in a low spot? Looks like you are currently tied with Burnsville as the coldest spot in the State this morning!

Looking at the models this morning..hmm don't really see anything but the potential of a lot of rain until 240 hours out on both the Euro/GFS which of course it too far forward to take seriously. 

Archived