BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got done with our best band of the day which was what I would consider moderate snow vis maybe 1/2 mile. It contained the biggest flakes of the day also ( dime to nickel size). Haven't done a official measure but we are pushing 3" up here! It hasn't stopped snowing since it started at around 6:20 am. If these flakes had size like the band we had for the last hour we would have at least doubled our total. Looks like the back side is coming soon. All in all I am very happy.....props to Robert & HT on their calls! Has anyone checked KAVL obs? I would guess the drought is over! Here is a couple picks for you guys that I posted in the main obs thread.

71506_701284203237297_1683616761_n.jpg

1011182_701284196570631_353151831_n.jpg

Edit: btw just wanted to add that Buncombe County schools weren't the only ones caught with their pants down. The DOT didn't pretreat the roads around here and they are atrocious!!!

Just got done with our best band of the day which was what I would consider moderate snow vis maybe 1/2 mile. It contained the biggest flakes of the day also ( dime to nickel size). Haven't done a official measure but we are pushing 3" up here! It hasn't stopped snowing since it started at around 6:20 am. If these flakes had size like the band we had for the last hour we would have at least doubled our total. Looks like the back side is coming soon. All in all I am very happy.....props to Robert & HT on their calls! Has anyone checked KAVL obs? I would guess the drought is over! Here is a couple picks for you guys that I posted in the main obs thread.

Looks like KAVL has had about .08 inches liquid, so the drought is most likely over.

71506_701284203237297_1683616761_n.jpg

1011182_701284196570631_353151831_n.jpg

Edit: btw just wanted to add that Buncombe County schools weren't the only ones caught with their pants down. The DOT didn't pretreat the roads around here and they are atrocious!!!

Congrats Don...love the pics...you should make one of them your desktop background to celebrate the end of the snow drought!

I guess I know what's for dinner tonight: CROW!

Ah well I guess it was too good to be true.  The main precipitation band over the mountains has come to an end.  The latest RAP indicates that only very light snow or flurries will continue the next few hours before completely ending.  It appears that we have some sinking motion aloft due to the circulation around a secondary front located over the mountains today.  Once that passes through, it should be over.

While interesting, the snow over Tennessee looks to stay there, or move northeast (not southeast).  So this gives me more confidence in my dinner menu tonight.

Very sorry for the AVL folks!  This looked a lot better than it performed.

Ah well I guess it was too good to be true.  The main precipitation band over the mountains has come to an end.  The latest RAP indicates that only very light snow or flurries will continue the next few hours before completely ending.  It appears that we have some sinking motion aloft due to the circulation around a secondary front located over the mountains today.  Once that passes through, it should be over.

While interesting, the snow over Tennessee looks to stay there, or move northeast (not southeast).  So this gives me more confidence in my dinner menu tonight.

Nah. A good forecast I think. We may have been on the low end, but we were close. ... and Don was easily in your forecast range.

Ah well I guess it was too good to be true. The main precipitation band over the mountains has come to an end. The latest RAP indicates that only very light snow or flurries will continue the next few hours before completely ending. It appears that we have some sinking motion aloft due to the circulation around a secondary front located over the mountains today. Once that passes through, it should be over.

While interesting, the snow over Tennessee looks to stay there, or move northeast (not southeast). So this gives me more confidence in my dinner menu tonight.

Very sorry for the AVL folks! This looked a lot better than it performed.

did you call for 2-4? If so you had it right here. Long before gsp.

A range of 4" to 5" on the ground..the observer conservatively estimated that 3" of that is new snow on the mtn top.

Well..this event was exciting for a little while with those big qpf numbers that the RAP was putting out locally but oh well.  Looks like any enhancement from SW wind orthographics was offset by being in between 2 frontogenticbands.  This must be lowest precip producing SW wind orthographic event I've seen in months on the mtn.  The snow drought continues..about 13" now for the season.

Looks like we are generally going to be on the wrong side of the storm track going well into February unfortunately although good news for my Michigan home. :sled: (Being located in 2 places gives one 4 times the fun in enjoying  the weather!)

Sorry, dumb question, but what will keep there? Seems like it would depart east as the low pushes east.

And yes, you did a heck of a lot better than GSP did. Thank you.

Sorry, dumb question, but what will keep there? Seems like it would depart east as the low pushes east.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not entirely sure. I was just basing it off the RAP output.

Just a general observation, probably reserved for the banter thread, but living in Winston-Salem and living in Boone is completely different. People here know how to drive in the  snow and people don't freak out when it snows. It's like a city in a snow-belt or something. Its much nicer this way, but damn, it's cold out there.

Archived