• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

Sweet, I'm an alumni of that fine institution as of Dec 2013.

Congratulations! Hopefully that's the case for me 3.5 years from now!

EDIT: Yeah, I've noticed few questionable moves by GSP this winter but Ray's Weather was little slow with this storm too. I think they were looking at it, but not confident enough to see more than an inch until last night. It happens, though...

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes!  Despite what people around here are calling an end to the snow, or that the "radar doesn't look great", the RAP still has the brunt of the system yet to come.

So that was me  :bag: . Looks like some better radar returns are on the way, and I am hoping that we can squeeze a few inches out of this.  I think the last three years have turned me into an eternal snow pessimist.  I will say that given the forecast a couple of days ago, this has turned out to be a great day. :snowing:  

So that was me  :bag: . Looks like some better radar returns are on the way, and I am hoping that we can squeeze a few inches out of this.  I think the last three years have turned me into an eternal snow pessimist.  I will say that given the forecast a couple of days ago, this has turned out to be a great day. :snowing:  

LOL

It wasn't just you, but a few folks around my office as well.  I will humbly eat crow if my forecast busts, but first we gotta give it a chance to work it's magic.   :)

Yes!  Despite what people around here are calling an end to the snow, or that the "radar doesn't look great", the RAP still has the brunt of the system yet to come.

I'm not sure if its a result of having limited moisture in a very cold airmass but the Greer radar IMO is struggling with returns IMBY. It's snowing pretty good but you wouldn't know it on radar.

Wow the RAP nailed this. Just woke up from sleeping all day. Looked out and looks like several inches here and still looks like we have several hours of snowfall. Wow is it beautiful out there. Congrats to all who are getting it.

Wow. You southern boys are really cashing in. Believe it or not, I now have sunshine and not one flake falling with maybe an inch on the ground. Really hasn't been too disappointing because I didn't expect much, but kind of a bummer when the other half of your own county is getting good snow.

Wow the RAP nailed this. Just woke up from sleeping all day. Looked out and looks like several inches here and still looks like we have several hours of snowfall. Wow is it beautiful out there. Congrats to all who are getting it.

I called it last night - RAP has been my short-term model of choice over the NAM for a while now.  Hope everyone cashes in as expected!

Wow. You southern boys are really cashing in. Believe it or not, I now have sunshine and not one flake falling with maybe an inch on the ground. Really hasn't been too disappointing because I didn't expect much, but kind of a bummer when the other half of your own county is getting good snow.

Ya this is a really nice event for us. Ya it is different when we are getting it and you are not especially coming up from the south.

I called it last night - RAP has been my short-term model of choice over the NAM for a while now.  Hope everyone cashes in as expected!

Yep you did. It did very well for us.

Snowing at a good clip for past hour now. Over two inches now.

Yep about the same here also. Steady moderate snow with the temp at 19 degrees lol. Cold!

It's snowing pretty hard right now in Western McDowell County...funny you mention that the sun is out in Northern Yancey County. With it snowing here and in Asheville and down into South Carolina, could there be a slight lee-side enhancement going on?

You and Robert are forecasting royalty.  Good call HT !!!!       Nice pic Mike.  It was a snow covered road drive home from work, and I enjoyed it. I have missed you my slippery friend.

The RAP just keeps giving and giving. The moisture dies down in a few hours, but resurges at about 8 pm according to the 19z.

Ya it looks like when the low starts to pull away from us there could be a NW flow component kick in which is pretty common for these type setups. Just something else to add to the snow total. Going with 3-6 inches when all is said and done.

It's snowing pretty hard right now in Western McDowell County...funny you mention that the sun is out in Northern Yancey County. With it snowing here and in Asheville and down into South Carolina, could there be a slight lee-side enhancement going on?

MRX_0.png

GSP_0.png

Yeah, you can clearly see a dry line running almost the whole tn/nc line. It's been there pretty much all day causing my totals to be so low. Even blue sky every now and then. Weird. Don't know if I've ever seen this before.

MRX_0.png

GSP_0.png

Yeah, you can clearly see a dry line running almost the whole tn/nc line. It's been there pretty much all day causing my totals to be so low. Even blue sky every now and then. Weird. Don't know if I've ever seen this before.

Often there is sinking motion in between frontogentic bands which in this case are rather stationary relative to themselves. I think that is why but not sure.

Archived