BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow really?  I've been watching the Downtown Asheville Cam and it was putting it down earlier.

Outside my window in downtown it has been light flurries for the last hour or so.  Really not accumulating that much.  But if you look at the current radar, this is not a surprise.  Looking at GSP's site, the best time for snow will be this afternoon from 1-4, and only that is an inch (with another 0.9 during the evening hours).  I will be shocked if Asheville proper gets more than 2 inches, but I am basing that purely on what I am seeing on radar and my gut.

The strangest thing about this is the snowfall totals map has most of Buncombe county getting 2 inches or so. That's certainly advisory level, isn't it?

According to this: http://www.weather.gov/media/gsp/winter/Product%20Description.pdf the advisory for the mountains should be 2 inches.  So yes, I am a little confused since the possibility is there for someone in the county to exceed this.

You guys just need to stop worrying and enjoy the fact that we are actually getting some flakes.   :snowwindow:

I'm enjoying it.  But man, what can we do to get a couple inches of snow around here?  AVL has not had an inch of snow from one event in over three years.  Longest such drought since they have been keeping records.

Everyone now under a WWA, issued 6 hours after the event starts. :facepalm:

GSP is awesome & wouldn't trade that group for anyone! Couple head scratchers by them this winter though.

Winter Weather Advisory
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC1223 PM EST TUE JAN 28 2014...SNOW WILL AFFECT ALL OF THER WESTERN CAROLINAS AND NORTHEASTGEORGIA TODAY....A WAVE OF LOW PRESSURE WILL DEVELOP OFF THE SOUTHEAST COASTEARLY TUESDAY...SPREADING SNOW ACROSS THE ENTIRE REGION BY LATEAFTERNOON.NCZ048-053-065-501-503-505-507-509-290130-/O.EXA.KGSP.WW.Y.0006.000000T0000Z-140129T1400Z/MADISON-BUNCOMBE-HENDERSON-CALDWELL MOUNTAINS-BURKE MOUNTAINS-MCDOWELL MOUNTAINS-RUTHERFORD MOUNTAINS-POLK MOUNTAINS-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ASHEVILLE...HENDERSONVILLE1223 PM EST TUE JAN 28 2014...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM EST WEDNESDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUEDA WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AMEST WEDNESDAY.* LOCATIONS...THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN MOUNTAINS OF WESTERN NORTH  CAROLINA* HAZARDS...ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL AND POSSIBLE BLACK ICE OVERNIGHT.* SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 3 INCHES.* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOWWILL CAUSE PRIMARILY TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOWCOVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILEDRIVING.

Trying to decide if I can make it up for the VMI-UNCA game this evening.

Nice! I'm going to that once since it should be a good one. All games I went to for both men's and women's basketball at Kimmel had been blowouts so far.

Back on topic, few ATMS majors here at UNC Asheville launched a weather balloon earlier today and here's the result:

sempe1314_iop3_snd01.png

Nice! I'm going to that once since it should be a good one. All games I went to for both men's and women's basketball at Kimmel had been blowouts so far.

Back on topic, few ATMS majors here at UNC Asheville launched a weather balloon earlier today and here's the result:

sempe1314_iop3_snd01.png

Sweet, I'm an alumni of that fine institution as of Dec 2013.

GSP is awesome & wouldn't trade that group for anyone! Couple head scratchers by them this winter though.

I totally agree. McAvoy must have been off for the last couple of days. The best gov. met in the Southeast, barr none.

Light snow, temp up to 15.6 with maybe an inch on the ground. Looking forward to the big show down east later! 

Archived