• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

Fox Run vet?.....hahahah! & suddenly a mental image of a man walking the aisles with a grin on his face as the Jackson five verse "ABC....123" plays in the back round comes to mind. Sorry for getting off topic guys.

We're casual in here. That's what we do. :)  30 degrees as a side note.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're casual in here. That's what we do. :)  30 degrees as a side note.

Really like that the Mods give us some freedom in here. Jason you nailed it a couple weeks ago when you said some winter weather will lighten your mood! Of course Joe has some other options that will almost do as well. :drunk:

Really like that the Mods give us some freedom in here. Jason you nailed it a couple weeks ago when you said some winter weather will lighten your mood! Of course Joe has some other options that will almost do as well. :drunk:

I think the Mods have their hands full with the primary thread...

I hear ya on the no state taxes...my brother lives in JC...I would consider looking at Unicoi county or Greene county to the southwest of JC and Carter county to the northeast of JC. Depending on what property you are looking for, Greene county is huge with lots of rural/farm land and it borders Madison county,NC...SE Greene is a great upslope area and is always mentioned by NWS in Morristown during impending upslope events.

sounds like Greene county is a good spot. I know Madison county does well with upslope.

Easy to police yourselves in this thread.

It has been a great read for me over the last month or so!

The RAP looks fantastic:

UglSnCE.gif

Seems like each run keeps getting better and better. Getting pretty excited about this. Temp down to 20 degrees with some nice gusts.

Ya the mods have been great. kind of like a thread to keep the mountains folks happy!

sounds like Greene county is a good spot. I know Madison county does well with upslope.

It is amazing the mountains really from Swain north all have some nice micro climate NW flow snow sweet spots! Lol say that a few times.

Easy to police yourselves in this thread.

It has been a great read for me over the last month or so!

Ya we have a great bunch of poster in here along with everyone else. Has been great getting to know most of yall from the net.

I hope the rap is right. I love overunning events from the gulf, the sw mtns always enhance the qpf.

Ya the SW mtns have seen some nice totals coming from the gulf.

I am liking this! I posted it in the main thread but things are moving really fast there.

8:30 pm GSP disco update:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM TUESDAY MORNING/...
AS OF 830 PM...I WILL UPDATE THE FORECAST FOR TONIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY.
THE LATEST SFC OBSERVATIONS INDICATES THAT THE COLD FRONT WAS
SLIGHTLY EAST OF I-85. TEMPERATURES WILL FALL SHARPLY IN THE WAKE OF
THE FRONT. IN FACT...HICKORY COOLED OVER 14 DEGREES OVER THE PAST
THREE HOURS. THE UPDATE WILL CONTAIN SEVERAL ADJUSTMENTS IN HOURLY
TEMPERATURES...DEWPOINTS...WINDS...AND SKY. TONIGHT...LOWS SHOULD
RANGE FROM THE TEENS TO MID 20S EAST...OR 35 TO 40 DEGREES COLDER
THAN TODAY/S HIGHS. STRONG CAA AND GUSTY WINDS WILL RESULT IN WIND
CHILL VALUES FALLING IN THE SINGLE DIGITS BELOW ZERO. THE CURRENT
WIND CHILL ADVISORY APPEARS WELL PLACED AND TIMED.

SNOWFALL FORECAST...THE COLD FRONT IS EXPECTED TO BECOME NEARLY
STATIONARY ACROSS NRN FL NE ALONG THE GA/CAROLINA COAST. BY 12Z
TUES...THE AXIS OF A POSITIVELY TILTED H5 TROUGH WILL BE OVER THE
CENTRAL PLAINS...PUSHING ACROSS THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER VALLEY BY 0Z
WEDS. THE 18Z GFS IS CONSISTENT WITH PREVIOUS RUNS...INDICATING THAT
A WIDE FIELD OF Q-VECTOR CONVERGENCE WILL DEVELOP ACROSS THE
SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN REGION BETWEEN 18Z-0Z WED. HOWEVER...WEAKER MID
LEVEL FORCING ARRIVES AROUND SUNRISE FROM THE WEST...PRIMARILY OVER
THE NC MTNS. MODELS RESPOND TO THE EARLY MORNING FORCING WITH LIGHT
QPF ACROSS THE TN BORDER OF THE NC MTNS. I WILL UPDATE THE FORECAST
TO INDICATE AN EARLIER ONSET OF SNOW ACROSS THE WESTERN NC MTNS. BY
MID DAY.
..AS THE MID LEVEL FORCING BEGINS TO INCREASE ACROSS THE
REGION...AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL LIKELY DEVELOP OFF THE SC
COAST ALONG THE STALLED FRONT. AS THE LOW DEEPENS...H85-H7
FRONTOGENESIS WILL INCREASE ACROSS CENTRAL NC AND THE UPSTATE OF
SC...PEAKING BETWEEN 18Z AND 0Z. IN ADDITION...FORCING WILL DEEPEN
WILL THE ARRIVAL OF THE MID LEVEL FORCING DURING THE PEAK OF THE
LOWER LEVEL FRONTOGENESIS. THE RESULT SHOULD BE A BROAD AREA OF
PRECIPITATION ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST...WITH THE BEST RATES BETWEEN
18Z-6Z. FORECAST SOUNDINGS INDICATE THAT THE CLOUD DEPTH WILL EXTEND
FROM BELOW 1 KFT TO 35 KFT DURING THE PERIOD OF BEST FORCING. IN
ADDITION...TEMPERATURES WILL SUPPORT PRECIP FALLING AS SNOW...WITH
MOISTURE EXTENDING FAR BEYOND THE DENDRITIC CRYSTAL GROWTH ZONE.

I WILL USE A BLEND OF THE WPC QPF WITH NAM THROUGH 0Z WED. THIS
APPROACH WILL INCREASE SNOWFALL ACROSS THE NC MTNS AND ACROSS THE
EASTERN PIEDMONT. SNOW RATIO GUIDANCE FAVORS VALUES AROUND 15 TO 1.
THE AREA ACROSS GRAHAM TO SWAIN IS CLOSE TO ADVISORY SNOW.

Ok guys. Don't take too much stock in the 00Z NAM. As I posted in the main thread, and as you all know, we have been fooled by the NAM a lot this winter and really all last 12 months. The RAP has been excellent and I would stay the course using its solutions.

In other words, don't panic that the NAM continues to keep much of wNC dry. I don't think it's right.

Fox Run vet?.....hahahah! & suddenly a mental image of a man walking the aisles with a grin on his face as the Jackson five verse "ABC....123" plays in the back round comes to mind. Sorry for getting off topic guys.

I think Joe has a more tried and true method!! 

HAHAHA I was going to ask if he was getting his horse tranquilizer?

Just got through organizing the emergency supplies, and everything seems to be in order!  :)

Man, it's cold. Down to 12.4. The wind is steady at 18 to 21, funny though, no gusts to speak of, just a constant roar coming up from the valley.

About to throw in the towel just east of the Blue ridge, most models are showing some sort of downsloping component with a precip minimum over the area.. which is rather odd since the wind is more due north than nw

Agreed...this isn't looking like our storm. It seems like an inch is going to be our best hope.

About to throw in the towel just east of the Blue ridge, most models are showing some sort of downsloping component with a precip minimum over the area.. which is rather odd since the wind is more due north than nw

I don't think there is any downsloping evident in this storm.  If anything, we'd be getting upslope as the precipitation arrives from the SW and rises over our little hills and dales.  The RAP has been juicy recently, and Robert Gamble is quite confident that snow will spread over all of NC.  One of his recent posts on Facebook references the fact that he thinks all of NC should be under an advisory.  Perhaps that will be the case when I awaken in the morning.

These are advisories issued by your NWS, not me or any TV station. My forecast is sometimes different, well, usually a bit different and in this case, all this looks justified, but I'd add all of NC, SC, GA (except se GA) and all of northeast AL to an advisory, but I don't issue those. And probably more advisories in southern third of Virginia to mid VA. Stick to your local outlets for your official forecasts.

I don't think there is any downsloping evident in this storm. If anything, we'd be getting upslope as the precipitation arrives from the SW and rises over our little hills and dales. The RAP has been juicy recently, and Robert Gamble is quite confident that snow will spread over all of NC. One of his recent posts on Facebook references the fact that he thinks all of NC should be under an advisory. Perhaps that will be the case when I awaken in the morning.

Has the RAP been juicy? It has some nice returns but virtually nothing reaching the ground, right?

Archived