BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya that was a nice little event for yall. Was pretty on the 7th floor of Mission.

Isn't the psych ward on the 7th floor? ;)

Got maybe 2 inches . Pretty heavy there for about an hour. High was 25.4 and now down to 19.8 now with the wind starting to howl. No mention of anything next week per WLOS. I guess the trending stopped, eh ?

Got maybe 2 inches . Pretty heavy there for about an hour. High was 25.4 and now down to 19.8 now with the wind starting to howl. No mention of anything next week per WLOS. I guess the trending stopped, eh ?

don't know everything I'm reading and wpc seems to think the storm is trending north and west.  i'm confused

Thanks! It's my first year of college here at UNCA and it had been a very cold one for sure! I do love that I can expect flurries once in awhile unlike Central NC :)

Its my first year at UNCA as well! Maybe we have classes together?

Welcome!  Glad to have some more valley folks checking in!

Lol nice laugh Joe! If I stay up there to long they may admit me!

Got a trace here at UNC Asheville. Snow were sticking to the sidewalk and hard packed round, but not the grass. Next round look interesting for sure.

Welcome! Nice to have another mountain poster.

Its my first year at UNCA as well! Maybe we have classes together?

Maybe. I'm planning to major in ATMS.

Thanks. Haywood County is beautiful, btw.

I know that 7th floor all too well, was just in there 2 weeks ago with mom. Its a great view though and you can see Mt Pisgah well and also the smoke from the paper mill in canton.

Temp has shot up to 34 in Weaverville with a NW wind.....kinda strange

I was just getting ready to post the same thing. Rarely do temps go up after a frontal passage with NW winds in winter. I've gone up almost 5 degrees in a couple of hours. At this rate Don, will be in the mid 70's lunchtime tomorrow. I'd take it for a day!

Welcome Freshmen!

29o with very light snow...west wind @ 11mph

I also meant to mention that it's snowing. Like you, very light/flurries. 

I had lunch today with the school superintendent and he said Yancey Co kids have gone to school 2 and half days since Dec. 19, when they got out for Christmas. Wow. I'm sure Mitchell is close to the same. 

I also meant to mention that it's snowing. Like you, very light/flurries.

I had lunch today with the school superintendent and he said Yancey Co kids have gone to school 2 and half days since Dec. 19, when they got out for Christmas. Wow. I'm sure Mitchell is close to the same.

hanging out with the political elites? Are you planning on making a run for congress?

hanging out with the political elites? Are you planning on making a run for congress?

Would've been a great time if the paparazzi had left us alone.

High Wind Warning now hoisted for remainder of night:

http://inws.wrh.noaa.gov/weather/alertinfo/14204130

Bill, it's well placed. I just had a gust to 56 mph about 15 minutes ago. It's screaming right now.

I know that 7th floor all too well, was just in there 2 weeks ago with mom. Its a great view though and you can see Mt Pisgah well and also the smoke from the paper mill in canton.

Ya it is a beautiful view. Getting us to the view also from being up there so much. Was snowing when I went to work about 8:30 but nothing in town.

As we wait to see if the models trend NW for Wednesday, here's some pics my wife took as she, my son, and I (and "Boone" the dog!) walked out on the ridge Wednesday evening...

Pic 1 is looking North...it was about 18o but no wind

Pic 2 is looking West toward the impending arctic front coming in

Pic 3 has the two Roan high peaks on the upper right

Pic 4 is a zoom on the peaks

Pic 5 is looking southwest toward the AVL folks!

post-2725-0-14298200-1390748710_thumb.jp

post-2725-0-24253400-1390748910_thumb.jp

post-2725-0-80103600-1390748985_thumb.jp

post-2725-0-99093700-1390749069_thumb.jp

post-2725-0-94093300-1390749812_thumb.jp

I saw that Hvward. If we could any moisture into the really cold air, we would be in business. We are also in HPCs slight risk greater than 4 inches.  3 years ago, I might get excited. I have been burned before. Let's hope the trend continues.

Yeah joaquin I think things are trending in the right direction with the Hi-res nam showing precip. making it into the mountains.  We have seen this before and you don't want to be in the bullseye 3 days out.  Not saying that the coast won't get a snow but temps will be an issue for them whereas our temps will be in low teens in the higher mountains and high teens to low twenties in the valley.  Whatever moisture does make it up here will arrive in dendrite form as snow growth and rates look to be prime.  Let's just say I would rather be battling the models truing to pull moisture from the SE then trying to get them to pull cold in from the NW.  If the trend continues we sit in a relatively good spot.

As we wait to see if the models trend NW for Wednesday, here's some pics my wife took as she, my son, and I (and "Boone" the dog!) walked out on the ridge Wednesday evening...

Pic 1 is looking North...it was about 18o but no wind

Pic 2 is looking West toward the impending arctic front coming in

Pic 3 has the two Roan high peaks on the upper right

Pic 4 is a zoom on the peaks

Pic 5 is looking southwest toward the AVL folks!

Beautiful pics K4CF.  I love those beautiful mountain balds. 

Yeah joaquin I think things are trending in the right direction with the Hi-res nam showing precip. making it into the mountains.  We have seen this before and you don't want to be in the bullseye 3 days out.  Not saying that the coast won't get a snow but temps will be an issue for them whereas our temps will be in low teens in the higher mountains and high teens to low twenties in the valley.  Whatever moisture does make it up here will arrive in dendrite form as snow growth and rates look to be prime.  Let's just say I would rather be battling the models truing to pull moisture from the SE then trying to get them to pull cold in from the NW.  If the trend continues we sit in a relatively good spot.

Very true. I don't know how many times that I heard that there was no way that it was going north and it did. Of course, all of those seem to be to our detriment and the mid atlantic/ne benefit. Maybe we will benefit this time w/o taking anything away from our coastal friends.

Archived