BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We got as low as -10 this morning and sometime overnight it snowed again putting another heavy dusting on everything. Interesting.

Low of -2 and when I got up at 3 am to load the wood stove...flurries/light snow too...yet I could look to the south, east, west as well as overhead and see a starry sky...very cool

Low of -2 and when I got up at 3 am to load the wood stove...flurries/light snow too...yet I could look to the south, east, west as well as overhead and see a starry sky...very cool

Ya Same here pretty much except I did not witness the snow. When I got up about 5 to stoke the fire it was down to negative 8 but clear as a bell. Could have been diamond dust here also. The wind died down and with the snow on the ground made for perfect radiation cooling this morning.

Down to negative 5 this morning. The NAM continues to look decent for a light event but he GFS keeps trending dryer and dryer.

Even though the NAM is usually like the red-headed step-brother (no offense to any red-headed step children out there), the NAM owned the GFS on the Mon/Tue event...hoping for an upset tomorrow too  :sled:

So are we looking at a potential synoptic band coming across the mountains and into the valley or will the lack of costal development coupled with the dry air keep things confined to the high mountains?  The 12z nam is pretty robust but keeps all moisture in the highest elevations.  These events are awesome for the border counties but I have a hard time getting my hopes up for a valley snow.  I think '85, KCF, Snojoe, highcountry, and everyone above '3500 ft or who sit up against the Tn line will cash in with 4+ inches.

So are we looking at a potential synoptic band coming across the mountains and into the valley or will the lack of costal development coupled with the dry air keep things confined to the high mountains?  The 12z nam is pretty robust but keeps all moisture in the highest elevations.  These events are awesome for the border counties but I have a hard time getting my hopes up for a valley snow.  I think '85, KCF, Snojoe, highcountry, and everyone above '3500 ft or who sit up against the Tn line will cash in with 4+ inches.

Ya the 12 z NAM looks even better. That could be some significant snow along the boarder.

12z Hi res nam looks really good for some heavy high mountain snow.  Should be a great day to hit the slopes with some nice fresh powder falling... if you can get there lol

you know this is great but I would as well as others would like some mountain valley snow for a change.  I'm glad for the high mountains but us around Asheville would like a decent snow now, speaking of which do we still have a storm showing up for around the 29-30?

Lol ya it would be a great day. Can you post em.

Here you go!

Hour 27 on the Hi-Res NAM:

2PtggSz.gif

Hour 30:

MC92CCi.gif

The Hi-Res NAM also has a pretty strong band that breaks containment and works its way into the piedmont and central NC around 12Z Saturday.  Interesting look on the Sim Radar.

Yes, please!

Hour 24:

STbM6H2.gif

The Hi-Res NAM also has a pretty strong band that breaks containment and works its way into the piedmont and central NC around 12Z Saturday.  Interesting look on the Sim Radar.

Wow just saw that!  Could be very interesting if it verifies, wouldn't mind seeing a synoptic snow band mid day Saturday.

Yes you can, but don't go overboard with any images   ;)    Please PM an admin if you have specific questions :)

Alright thanks!

you know this is great but I would as well as others would like some mountain valley snow for a change.  I'm glad for the high mountains but us around Asheville would like a decent snow now, speaking of which do we still have a storm showing up for around the 29-30?

I think everyone up here is waiting to see if we start to get a trend back west.  I don't think we will have a good grip on the system until around Sunday but I wouldn't rule out our chances at all right now, this system could get very interesting.  The valley looks to be in better shape for precip then the mountains with that storm but the energy has yet to be well sampled so many things are yet to be determined. 

C'mon guys, we are better than this! We should not be consistently tracking 1-2 inch events.

Wow, man!  Why can't the mountain folk (including yourself) enjoy whatever snow they can get out of this snow-starved winter?  Don't be a hater on the tracking.  I don't think it makes you better than this to not even appreciate the small events.  Snow is snow.  I would gladly take all of your 1-2 inch events that you wanna send down this way.

Wow, man! Why can't the mountain folk (including yourself) enjoy whatever snow they can get out of this snow-starved winter? Don't be a hater on the tracking. I don't think it makes you better than this to not even appreciate the small events. Snow is snow. I would gladly take all of your 1-2 inch events that you wanna send down this way.

lol.. I mean we are used to snowstorms. The thing is these 1-2 events we track are really dustings to 1/2 inch. Even mike at 6000ft has only ten inches. Wilmington might have more snow than him in ten days.

Yeah Frankiln I agree with you and don't think it will be anything. But for the high elevations those guys could cash in and I am pumped for them so I post maps and try and cover it for them. I have given up hope on these clippers giving us anything more than a good dusting. We will have to get some gulf interaction to cash in down here.

Anybody got any thoughts on the early Feb. storm?

Could be something to watch but it is 300hrs out.  I don't think we should close the book just yet on mid next week given current trends.  If nothing else, I would rather rely on this storm to give AVL our 1" then a clipper storm any day.

lol.. I mean we are used to snowstorms. The thing is these 1-2 events we track are really dustings to 1/2 inch. Even mike at 6000ft has only ten inches. Wilmington might have more snow than him in ten days.

Ouch! :)

Well-I am pinning my hopes on a Spring time upper low that  tracks just to the South of my location and dumps 50" in one day at elevations of 6000 feet and above so I can beat out the coastal plan and Asheville for the season! :axe:

Archived