• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

My mom is in her last stages now, melanoma came back all over her( spine, lungs, kidneys, liver) after 10 years in remission. Worst thing is she has a mass on her spine and cant walk anymore. She is getting weaker by the day and they say its a matter of weeks now but im glad she got to come home and enjoy her last days

Just saw this but I hate to hear that wnc.  Hopefully we can get some snow for her, I saw you post something about that.  Like Don said I wish there were magic words to say.  

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

85 and Wncsnow

Sorry to hear that fellas. I can only imagine how hard it is to go through this. I know it sucks to watch a loved one deteriorate before your eyes. Cancer is a nasty thing and sometimes I don't know whats worse cancer itself or the chemo.

But I will be thinking and praying for both of you. Just stay strong I know its tough but its even tougher for the person actually going through it.

Edit:

I know this is a bit off topic. I've always enjoy growing carnivorous plants as another hobby of mine. Ranging from Tropical pitcher plants, pitcher plants and venus fly traps.

But I came around a couple articles couple years back about research being done with immune system problems and venus fly traps. But might be worth googling "cancer and venus fly trap extract"  and maybe even trying it along with chemo. Im sure it couldn't hurt to try. Since really alot of natural herbs and medicines have yet to be discovered by mainstream society.

My mom is in her last stages now, melanoma came back all over her( spine, lungs, kidneys, liver) after 10 years in remission. Worst thing is she has a mass on her spine and cant walk anymore. She is getting weaker by the day and they say its a matter of weeks now but im glad she got to come home and enjoy her last days

Wow so sorry to hear. My thoughts and prayers for your family also. Hang in there I know it is tough. My mom has beaten breast cancer for 13 years before this crap came back. Cherish each day man each day which I am sure you know already.

Man '85 I hate to hear that. I will still be praying for you and your family.

Thank you so much Hvward!

Wish there were some magic words I could type that would make both of you feel better. When they are chosen to be taken, rest assured they will be in a better place & any suffering will be over. Posts like these put the weather or lack there of in a better perspective.

Thank you Don! Yes we are only a shell but our souls will live on and yes she will go to heaven. She is ready is God called her this moment. I think with knowing she is saved and has such a strong faith that I am at peace a little more because I know she will be in a much better place.

Praying for both of you, your moms and your entire families; Met1985 and wncsnow. Lost my dad to cancer (2) years ago, so I know what you guys are facing, Gods Speed. 

Sorry to hear that. Will be praying for you and your family also. Thank you!

85 and Wncsnow

Sorry to hear that fellas. I can only imagine how hard it is to go through this. I know it sucks to watch a loved one deteriorate before your eyes. Cancer is a nasty thing and sometimes I don't know whats worse cancer itself or the chemo.

But I will be thinking and praying for both of you. Just stay strong I know its tough but its even tougher for the person actually going through it.

Edit:

I know this is a bit off topic. I've always enjoy growing carnivorous plants as another hobby of mine. Ranging from Tropical pitcher plants, pitcher plants and venus fly traps.

But I came around a couple articles couple years back about research being done with immune system problems and venus fly traps. But might be worth googling "cancer and venus fly trap extract"  and maybe even trying it along with chemo. Im sure it couldn't hurt to try. Since really alot of natural herbs and medicines have yet to be discovered by mainstream society.

Again thanks for the information and thank you for the prayers.

Thanks everyone for the prayers and well wishes, this battle will make you feel all the range of emotions that's for sure. I have been sad, angry and depressed at the same time. Mostly angry since I'm only 26 and you figure you will have your mom for a lot longer. But it has taught me to not take life and time together for granted. This board is a sort of therapy and distraction for me, snow or no snow.

Thanks everyone for the prayers and well wishes, this battle will make you feel all the range of emotions that's for sure. I have been sad, angry and depressed at the same time. Mostly angry since I'm only 26 and you figure you will have your mom for a lot longer. But it has taught me to not take life and time together for granted. This board is a sort of therapy and distraction for me, snow or no snow.

Again best of luck bud. Hang in there.

I don't remember the last time we had so many of these on one season.

MADISON-SWAIN-HAYWOOD-BUNCOMBE-GRAHAM-NORTHERN JACKSON-MACON-
SOUTHERN JACKSON-TRANSYLVANIA-HENDERSON-CALDWELL MOUNTAINS-
BURKE MOUNTAINS-MCDOWELL MOUNTAINS-RUTHERFORD MOUNTAINS-
POLK MOUNTAINS-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BRYSON CITY...WAYNESVILLE...ASHEVILLE...
SYLVA...FRANKLIN...BREVARD...HENDERSONVILLE
1028 AM EST THU JAN 23 2014

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING
TO 11 AM EST FRIDAY...

* LOCATIONS...THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN MOUNTAINS OF NORTH
  CAROLINA.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.

* WIND CHILL VALUES...FROM 5 TO 20 DEGREES BELOW ZERO DEPENDING
  UPON ELEVATION. RIDGE TOPS WILL SEE VALUES AS LOW AS 30 BELOW.

* IMPACTS...POTENTIAL FROST BITE AND HYPOTHERMIA.

I agree. Already down to 4.8 with wind. It's going to go low tonight. 

So........anyone have any thoughts on the Sat/Sat night event?

Ya cold here also. Down to 10 degrees with the wind gusting. I am feeling below zero tonight especially since we still have snow on  the ground. This weekend event looks like may 2-4 inches. The NAM look pretty good and the GFS has a few hour of upslope snow.

I agree. Already down to 4.8 with wind. It's going to go low tonight. 

So........anyone have any thoughts on the Sat/Sat night event?

00z nam showing a nice extended upslope event for Yancey Co. & north so you look to be in business this weekend Joe.  Not so much down here in the valley, I suspect this will be a status quo snow shower, dusting, surprise half inch event.  Next week is where I am looking for us to be in business for at least an inch and with a western trend maybe more.

The Nam look even better for the mountains for the weekend event but the GFS is really lacking on the moisture side. We shall see what happens.

I don't know why the qpf is low on the GFS but higher on the Nam considering the moisture aloft looks alot better on the GFS than the Nam at 700mb. 

But take a look at the radar depiction of the Hi res Nam. Looks darn good for you mountain boys ashame though on this side of the apps the lowest 5000 feet appear too be too dry.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fnam-hires%2F00%2Fnam-hires_namer_033_sim_reflectivity.gif&model=nam-hires&area=namer&storm=&cycle=00&param=sim_reflectivity&fhr=033&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

Its brutal out there tonight. Give me snow and 32 any day of this crap. Now we know what its like to live in north Dakota!

Its brutal out there tonight. Give me snow and 32 any day of this crap. Now we know what its like to live in north Dakota!

yea me too.  is Tuesday and Wednesday still on for us on getting a decent snow, from what I see GSP isn't to bullish.

Archived