• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

Beautiful picks, K4CF.  Thanks for sharing those.  I am totally jealous and talking to my wife about property in Buladean.  :)   Seriously.  I mentioned it to her and showed here where it was on the map after your post yesterday.

The Sunalei Preserve (Snake Mountain in northern Watauga County) would be my Holy Grail for mountaintop living in NC, I believe, but it would also take the Holy Grail to pay for the property and house there.

Have you considered the High Mtn Subdivision in the Plott Balsams? Much higher elevation..and a lot cheaper than the Sunalei Preserve. (Hi-Mtn is the highest subdivision in the Eastern U.S..other subdivisions claim that but they are full of it! :) )It is a wetter location(Over 110" of rain last year..estimate average of 85") so gets lots of interesting weather...doesn't get as much NW upslope snow but does get extreme amounts from coastal type storms or so they tell me. (ie purportedly have had 200+" seasons and roads blocked by 20 foot snow drifts etcs..of course I'm patiently waiting for something like that to actually materalize!) My neighbor just created a 5 acre lot-I think it is about at the 5800 foot level-he would probably sell it for a reasonable price..very pretty lot..very tall conifer trees and supposedly full of rare flying squirrels. (This subdivision is likely the only location in NC where people live in flying squirrel habitat..trivia piece for the day!)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you considered the High Mtn Subdivision in the Plott Balsams? Much higher elevation..and a lot cheaper than the Sunalei Preserve. (Hi-Mtn is the highest subdivision in the Eastern U.S..other subdivisions claim that but they are full of it! :) )It is a wetter location(Over 110" of rain last year..estimate average of 85") so gets lots of interesting weather...doesn't get as much NW upslope snow but does get extreme amounts from coastal type storms or so they tell me. (ie purportedly have had 200+" seasons and roads blocked by 20 foot snow drifts etcs..of course I'm patiently waiting for something like that to actually materalize!) My neighbor just created a 5 acre lot-I think it is about at the 5800 foot level-he would probably sell it for a reasonable price..very pretty lot..very tall conifer trees and supposedly full of rare flying squirrels. (This subdivision is likely the only location in NC where people live in flying squirrel habitat..trivia piece for the day!)

That actually sounds pretty cool, Mike.  No, I had not considered your area before, but when it comes time to get serious about the issue, I probably will.  Again, I'm totally in the dreaming phase here.  Several years of work still ahead of me and a few years left to pay off the house here in Hickory.  Once the main residence is paid off, then I could more seriously consider my dreams.  Thanks for all the tips, guys!

Nice pic, SnoJoe.  Is that your place?

In the past 45 min, clear to thick clouds rolling in from the NW here now...impending nwf event later? 

Same here & the MRX radar is blossoming a bit might be a extra inch in the next day for you higher elevation guys. Oh & btw Joe.....with that place & bourbon how could you go wrong?

Not my obs but you can clearly see the reason for my temper tantrum last night in the above pic. 0.2 marks my hood!

Beautiful pictures guys! I couldn't imagine what its like to wake up to a scene like that. One day I'm going to own a home in the NW flow areas. 

This subdivision is likely the only location in NC where people live in flying squirrel habitat..trivia piece for the day!)

I guess you're referring to the Northern Flying Squirrel which is slightly larger in size compare to the cousin  Southern Flying Squirrels. Its illegal in the state of NC to own flying squirrels but those make interesting pets. I have two SFS.

Same here & the MRX radar is blossoming a bit might be a extra inch in the next day for you higher elevation guys. Oh & btw Joe.....with that place & bourbon how could you go wrong?

Not my obs but you can clearly see the reason for my temper tantrum last night in the above pic. 0.2 marks my hood!

Wow you're right Don...I haven't even checked the radar today til now...Definitely looks like some decent returns

I'm afraid that's all virga. No reports of snow actually falling that I can find. Maybe it will overcome the dry air over night.

We may have a chance Joe...GSP evening disco...

"as of 645 PM...clouds have moved into the mountains and should continue off

and on through the night. Still do not expect any snow showers until

near daybreak"

Geesh...reading the last part of GSP disco...I really hope that kind of cold doesn't verify...

"Tuesday and Wednesday...Arctic high pressure will settle over the
region. 850 mb temperatures will remain quite cold across the region
both days...with the lowest values forecast around daybreak Tuesday.
In fact...the GFS and European model (ecmwf) indicate that portions of the NC mountains
will see 850 mb temperatures below -20f by 12z Tuesday
"

Beautiful pictures guys! I couldn't imagine what its like to wake up to a scene like that. One day I'm going to own a home in the NW flow areas. 

I guess you're referring to the Northern Flying Squirrel which is slightly larger in size compare to the cousin  Southern Flying Squirrels. Its illegal in the state of NC to own flying squirrels but those make interesting pets. I have two SFS.

Yes..the Northern Flying Squirrel.  In NC-only found at the very highest of elevations.  The North Carolina Wildlife Commission has been up scouting the area and confirms that it is the perfect habitat for them. I'm going to put up a nesting box just for fun. (They also collected pine cones of all things. ) Actually, the Conservation Trust of NC just purchased the adjoining parcel to me to turn over to the National Park Service. Very interesting area besides the weather to be sure.

Yes..the Northern Flying Squirrel.  In NC-only found at the very highest of elevations.  The North Carolina Wildlife Commission has been up scouting the area and confirms that it is the perfect habitat for them. I'm going to put up a nesting box just for fun. (They also collected pine cones of all things. ) Actually, the Conservation Trust of NC just purchased the adjoining parcel to me to turn over to the National Park Service. Very interesting area besides the weather to be sure.

Thats cool atleast they're trying to protect the habitat and protect the species. They prefer cooler environments so that elevation is perfect for them. Normally they live at higher latitudes around the GLs and NE and Canada. If you get a large enough nest box or two you might be able to get a small colony established on your property. They're are omnivores and will eat anything from vegetation to insects to bird eggs. 

Well first the weather OBS. Wow was it crazy here! We ended up with about 5-6 inches of snow. Hard to tell because of all the blowing snow but it was treacherous out this morning at about 4 a.m. We got down to 0 degrees this morning also with a current temp of 12 degrees even with the clouds. Was a very nice event just wished I could have enjoyed it

Figured I would share this here also since yall have been so supportive. My mother had surgery today on her cancer. She was in surgery for about 7 hours today. They did a hysterectomy and they cut two sections of her bowels out. they new that it had spread to there but they found spots on her spleen and her appendix which they went ahead and took out. They found some other little masses on her liver and on her small intestines and somewhere else also but by then I was in tears know my fear had come true. The cancer has started to spread in her body. The Doc was great and very thorough and we are hoping that the chemo does the job or God lays his hands on her and heals her.  

Figured I would share this here also since yall have been so supportive. My mother had surgery today on her cancer. She was in surgery for about 7 hours today. They did a hysterectomy and they cut two sections of her bowels out. they new that it had spread to there but they found spots on her spleen and her appendix which they went ahead and took out. They found some other little masses on her liver and on her small intestines and somewhere else also but by then I was in tears know my fear had come true. The cancer has started to spread in her body. The Doc was great and very thorough and we are hoping that the chemo does the job or God lays his hands on her and heals her.  

So sorry to hear about the extent of the cancer, Met1985.  I can't begin to imagine what you're going through, having never experienced it myself.  I will pray for her healing.

will be praying for you.

So sorry to hear about the extent of the cancer, Met1985.  I can't begin to imagine what you're going through, having never experienced it myself.  I will pray for her healing.

Thank you Calc! I am flooded with emotion from time to time. Just hard to grasp what we are going through and will have to go through. We will fight as long as we think we are wining the battle. This has been tremendously draining on me mentally and physically but my poor mom just laying in the hospital bed in and out of it in pain and pretty much just having a total lower abdomen surgery done in pain so really I have no room to complain as she will be the one going through all the pain and fighting. Well only one thing to do is pray and pray some more and stay strong for my mom. Well two things.

Thank you Calc! I am flooded with emotion from time to time. Just hard to grasp what we are going through and will have to go through. We will fight as long as we think we are wining the battle. This has been tremendously draining on me mentally and physically but my poor mom just laying in the hospital bed in and out of it in pain and pretty much just having a total lower abdomen surgery done in pain so really I have no room to complain as she will be the one going through all the pain and fighting. Well only one thing to do is pray and pray some more and stay strong for my mom. Well two things.

My mom is in her last stages now, melanoma came back all over her( spine, lungs, kidneys, liver) after 10 years in remission. Worst thing is she has a mass on her spine and cant walk anymore. She is getting weaker by the day and they say its a matter of weeks now but im glad she got to come home and enjoy her last days

My mom is in her last stages now, melanoma came back all over her( spine, lungs, kidneys, liver) after 10 years in remission. Worst thing is she has a mass on her spine and cant walk anymore. She is getting weaker by the day and they say its a matter of weeks now but im glad she got to come home and enjoy her last days

Wish there were some magic words I could type that would make both of you feel better. When they are chosen to be taken, rest assured they will be in a better place & any suffering will be over. Posts like these put the weather or lack there of in a better perspective.

Archived