BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably be the first double digit snow of the year on the Tennessee border...bet Mt. Leconte gets to 12" with no problem.

Yep.  The radar there is about as impressive as it gets.  Looking at the Gatlinburg webcams it looks like it was coming down pretty heavy.  Wish I was up there.

Atta boy Joe! Snowy nights in the High Country sure are saweet !

Hi Bill! Just took the dogs on a quick walk to pee, and measured right at 6 inches. The ditch along the south side of my driveway always fills with snow, so we played their favorite game. Throw the ball in the it and watch them disappear. Labs are a trip in the snow. Hope you're up this week to enjoy this.

Wow what a day. Pretty much snowed all day and I had to work! Oh well. Well the drive home was really bad. The closer I got home the worst it got. There is about 1-2 inches of snow on the road and then a sheet of ice. Had to pull over and help a couple out of the ditch also. Just extremely slick conditions. Blizzard like conditions also with the wind. Got home an still snowing moderately to heavily. We have about 3-4 inches of snow on the ground but hard to tell because the wind is roaring. Temp down to 11 degrees.

Ended up with 3" of snow with little new snow last night. When synoptic support departed and inversion heights crashed..the Smokies Wall of Death reared its ugly head with virtually nothing crossing over the border locally.

Nippy 3 below zero this morning up top.

Congrats to all those that actually are getting to break out the snow shovels this morning! :sled:

Ended up with 3" of snow with little new snow last night. When synoptic support departed and inversion heights crashed..the Smokies Wall of Death reared its ugly head with virtually nothing crossing over the border locally.

Nippy 3 below zero this morning up top.

Congrats to all those that actually are getting to break out the snow shovels this morning! :sled:

how much so far on the season, have you even hit double digits?

Now who needs the bourbon. :pimp:

Boy, it's laying it down now. True, solid upslope. When the wind gusts, it's blizzard time. Down to 12.4. Think I'll wrap up and take the dogs for walk. Beautiful night !

Um......I could have used a oaken barrels worth yesterday & last night! Glad to see the Mnt top gang cashed well though. We ended up with a whopping .25". Haven't even made it to single digits yet @ 10.9°. The wind is screaming here this am though, which is unusual for this part of the valley.

GSP am disco for mtns tomorrow...

"Accums are expected be less than a half inch if precipitation lasts as
long as possible. Soundings from the NAM indicate a tiny amount of
instability may be at play during the day Thursday...so if precipitation is able
to continue very localized amounts more than that could occur"

Yet another great report. What kind of ratio do you think you ended up with?

Also, how do you dogs fair when the weather turns angry and cold?

Best I can measure is between 7 and 8 inches. Temps went negative at 7 am this morning at -0.7, but has warmed to a toasty 1.1 now. A few flurries, but all in all a beautiful morning.

Beautiful picks, K4CF.  Thanks for sharing those.  I am totally jealous and talking to my wife about property in Buladean.  :)   Seriously.  I mentioned it to her and showed here where it was on the map after your post yesterday.

The Sunalei Preserve (Snake Mountain in northern Watauga County) would be my Holy Grail for mountaintop living in NC, I believe, but it would also take the Holy Grail to pay for the property and house there.

Beautiful picks, K4CF.  Thanks for sharing those.  I am totally jealous and talking to my wife about property in Buladean.  :)   Seriously.  I mentioned it to her and showed here where it was on the map after your post yesterday.

The Sunalei Preserve (Snake Mountain in northern Watauga County) would be my Holy Grail for mountaintop living in NC, I believe, but it would also take the Holy Grail to pay for the property and house there.

Thanks for the share pictures K4CF, beautiful countryside you have there my friend.

Thank you guys...calculus, compared to Avery/Watauga/Ashe counties, property here is still somewhat "affordable"...just make sure you've already made your fortune/retirement or bring a unique trade/skill to the area...lol.  Its getting harder and harder to make it up here.  I'm a 46-yr native here, live on family land, heat my home with wood from the land, and work for the public schools.  Other than state jobs, the only industry left is silicon quartz/mica mining and its limited due to the economy now.  Beautiful place to live though...but 25 miles from the nearest Walmart :)   

Thanks for the notes, K4CF.  The move is not imminent, by any means.  I'm thinking after retirement that I would like to move to that area.  I've got a few years to go still.  I'm just dreaming, but I really did point out the area to her on the map.  We went camping at Roan Mt. State Park over Labor Day, so it was just a hop, skip, and jump over to Buladean.  I can't believe I missed it!  ;)

Thanks for the notes, K4CF.  The move is not imminent, by any means.  I'm thinking after retirement that I would like to move to that area.  I've got a few years to go still.  I'm just dreaming, but I really did point out the area to her on the map.  We went camping at Roan Mt. State Park over Labor Day, so it was just a hop, skip, and jump over to Buladean.  I can't believe I missed it!  ;)

Do you teach math? just out of curiosity

Archived