• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

Quick 2" on the mtn top..and 19 degrees after being about 28 early.

Radar suggest an intense banding feature is developing upstream of the mtn top.

Lookings like it really took some strong synoptic support to finally get the freaking snow to cross the Smokies for a change!

post-9361-0-08985800-1390332210_thumb.jp

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2" accumulation now...synoptic burst has just now ended here...light snow...light North wind...Report of 4" on Iron Mountain gap (3800') where NC 226 becomes TN 107

Good ol' Iron Mountain, I've been across that area numerous times but I didn't know it was just 3800 ft. I always thought it was in excess of 4k feet.

You're so right. From Buladean up to the top must have some of the best upslope in WNC.

One of the clipper events 2 weeks ago during the Arctic outbreak I think...I barely got 2"....This is no joke...one of the kids that rides my bus lives on Hughes Gap Rd in Buladean(the back way into the town of Roan Mountain, TN and Elk Park, NC) got 6" of snow...the last half-inch being what Met85 called "diamond dust"....unbelievable

Congrats all!  We still have a light snow falling here with the ground covered.  Hopefully this doesn't wrap up.

Radar out of Knoxville shows some news bands of returns moving SE that should re-enforce the on-going upslope. I would think there are several more hours to go.

Congrats guys! Just got home from work & there is snow on the ground in Asheville with nothing up toward Weaverville! :axe:  Talk about frustrating! I'm about to give up chasing dreams.....err snow. Really sour taste in my mouth is my current obs.

My ground is white, but with the way that it snowed, if it had snowed at night with temps below freezing, this could have easily been a couple inches or more. Oh well, maybe a few more snow showers tonight and on to the next one.

3-5" of snow on the ground in Boone. Blizzard conditions at times. Lots of drifting. Some great winter conditions! Classes at ASU will probably be closed tomorrow. Roads around Boone are all snow packed and it's too cold for salt to really be effective. Upslope snow machine still kicking!

Whew....feel better! Had to give myself a timeout. Flow snow has kicked in so we have some white ground at least.

Now who needs the bourbon. :pimp:

Boy, it's laying it down now. True, solid upslope. When the wind gusts, it's blizzard time. Down to 12.4. Think I'll wrap up and take the dogs for walk. Beautiful night !

Archived