• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

Though he didn't say no snow, I couldn't imagine heading to next January w/o one single snow exceeding 1 inch closing in on 4 years.(well, at the airport anyway)   75 inches of precip and we can't get one measly inch of snow. I sound like Brick and Fritschy combined... but I feel their frustration.... and this was proceeded by almost 70 inches(at my house) in a winter and a half. Oh well, I guess we will see where it heads. I would rather be warm instead of $300.00 power bills and very little snow. Okay, I'm done. :baby:

Trust me Jason when I say.....we all feel your pain! We have paid dearly for those monster winters.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe I'm going to say this but, this is a decent look. Let's hope it trends wetter.

You jinx us last time with your pretty little maps.  ;)

But this one is a little different. Trajectories are better for the upslope areas. And just by observations in the past, when arctic air is behind it, every bit of moisture will be rung out. I expect ratios by Tuesday afternoon to be in the 20's. Won't be much but something maybe to hold us over. Seems like I've said that a lot this winter. 

You jinx us last time with your pretty little maps. ;)

But this one is a little different. Trajectories are better for the upslope areas. And just by observations in the past, when arctic air is behind it, every bit of moisture will be rung out. I expect ratios by Tuesday afternoon to be in the 20's. Won't be much but something maybe to hold us over. Seems like I've said that a lot this winter.

Hahahaha! Nice to know I'm loved Joe....now pass me some of that bourbon!!!

You jinx us last time with your pretty little maps.  ;)

Ya this looks more like something we can work with. Still these clippers are killing me. All this cold air an nothing to show more it. I would rather it be 30 and pouring the snow.

Hahahaha! Nice to know I'm loved Joe....now pass me some of that bourbon!!!

It's all gone. I think the maid drank it.  

Ya this looks more like something we can work with. Still these clippers are killing me. All this cold air an nothing to show more it. I would rather it be 30 and pouring the snow.

Yeah, but cold is part of the season so I want it to be in the winter. I've always said, one of the neatest things about our climate is that we have four very distinctive seasons. The cold sets up a great spring.

But I know what you mean, snow is part of it too for us. So when it doesn't much, I feel cheated. But, if that's all I've got to worry about, I'll take it! :)

It's all gone. I think the maid drank it.  

Yeah, but cold is part of the season so I want it to be in the winter. I've always said, one of the neatest things about our climate is that we have four very distinctive seasons. The cold sets up a great spring.

But I know what you mean, snow is part of it too for us. So when it doesn't much, I feel cheated. But, if that's all I've got to worry about, I'll take it! :)

Lol ya good point. I love the cold to. I hate it when it should be cold and it is like 50 degrees. The cold shot we got earlier this month was awesome and the one coming up looks good to but just wish we could get a sizable snow. I don't know but my gut is telling me this March is going to be rocking. We have had some of our best snowstorms in March. I think the NAO may finally come to cooperate in March.

We shall see.

Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC
407 AM EST MON JAN 20 2014

...HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS POSSIBLE IN PORTIONS OF THE NORTH
CAROLINA MOUNTAINS BEGINNING TONIGHT...

.AN ARCTIC COLD FRONT WILL PUSH ACROSS THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS
EARLY TOMORROW MORNING...FOLLOWED BY A STRONG UPPER LEVEL TROUGH.
MOIST WINDS WILL STRENGTHEN AGAINST THE WESTERN FACING SLOPES OF
THE MOUNTAINS ALONG THE BORDER BETWEEN TENNESSEE AND NORTH
CAROLINA...PRODUCING ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL WHICH IS LIKELY TO
BECOME HEAVY IN SOME AREAS. WHILE THE SNOW WILL DIMINISH IN
INTENSITY LATE TOMORROW...STRONG WINDS WILL CONTINUE INTO EARLY
WEDNESDAY. THIS MAY CAUSE WIND CHILLS TO FALL BELOW ZERO.

AVERY-MADISON-YANCEY-MITCHELL-SWAIN-HAYWOOD-GRAHAM-
NORTHERN JACKSON-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWLAND...SPRUCE PINE...BRYSON CITY...
WAYNESVILLE...SYLVA
407 AM EST MON JAN 20 2014

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH LATE
TUESDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED
A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT
THROUGH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT.

* LOCATIONS...THE NORTH CAROLINA MOUNTAINS NEAR THE TENNESSEE
  BORDER.

* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOWFALL AND BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW
  CAUSING TREACHEROUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ON ROADWAYS. STRONG WIND
  GUSTS CAUSING A FEW TREES AND POWER LINES TO FALL.

* TIMING...SNOWFALL WILL BEGIN LATE TONIGHT...PEAKING IN COVERAGE
  AND INTENSITY AROUND NOON TOMORROW...AND BEGINNING TO TAPER OFF
  IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND GUSTS WILL BE STRONGEST DURING THE
  AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF GENERALLY 2 TO 4
  INCHES...WITH 5 TO 6 INCHES POSSIBLE IN THE HIGH ELEVATIONS OF
  THE SMOKIES AND NORTH OF THE BLACK MOUNTAINS.

* IMPACTS...BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WILL CAUSE ROADS TO BECOME
  SLIPPERY OR IMPASSABLE...ESPECIALLY ON STEEP MOUNTAINS.
  SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES MAY OCCUR DUE TO FALLEN ELECTRICAL
  LINES.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE UPPER 20S AND LOWER 30S DURING THE DAY
  TOMORROW...BUT PLUMMETING INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS BY DAYBREAK
  WEDNESDAY.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH.

Maybe it's just me, but GSP looks a little aggressive with this event for non-upslope areas. I think that the snow drought for AVL continues. Upslope areas should do well but I don't see the snow showers accumulating much in the lower valleys.

Remember, last 1" event for KAVL was January 10, 2011. And so it continues...

Wow...woke up to a WSW!  You guys may be right about GSP but yesterday's 12Z NAM showed about 6 hrs of light precip over the mtns.  Today's 12Z is showing 18-hrs of precip now!  Same deal with the 12Z GFS runs...big difference.  The RGEM/GGEM are always on board with snow..lol.  Maybe the 18Z runs will keep the trend!

Wow...woke up to a WSW!  You guys may be right about GSP but yesterday's 12Z NAM showed about 6 hrs of light precip over the mtns.  Today's 12Z is showing 18-hrs of precip now!  Same deal with the 12Z GFS runs...big difference.  The RGEM/GGEM are always on board with snow..lol.  Maybe the 18Z runs will keep the trend!

Cold air/higher ratios?  That's a possibility too. That's my attempt to be positive.  :snowing:

Cold air/higher ratios?  That's a possibility too. That's my attempt to be positive.  :snowing:

I agree with you joaquin...Also the GFS has performed the best with these clippers this year and its on board with this one...just checked the SREF mean, it's not on board  :cry: for the mtns

However, a couple of the SREF ensembles explode over central/eastern NC if that Low tracks a lil further east before turning NE.  

getting bad when hope for a inch of snow which I thought we would get but I don't think we'll get an inch, pretty bad guys. I did love today 63 degrees IMBY. one of these days we'll get the big one out of the gulf, don't know if it will be this year. starting to give up hope.

Archived