BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was ready to leave for work but, found out the boss crashed into a guardrail coming off of 240 at the Chunns Cove ex. No injuries but a new quarter panel, light, & cover are needed. Needless to say I am waiting a few minutes before I venture out.

Ya Don I was skating into work this morning!  But the sun is doing its job now so thing should be clear in the next hour or two.

Snowing lightly again in Boone! Really looking forward to this next clipper! It looks so juicy on radar!

I agree. This will probably be yalls best clipper yet still thinking qpf wise might be a little underdone. Really going to be interesting to watch this cross the mountains as well. 

But looking at the RH fields maybe a band of convection( SW to NE flow) setting up along the tail end of this later this afternoon before coming through the mountains around and after mid night.

nam_namer_012_700_rh_ht.gifnam-hires_namer_012_700_rh_ht.gif

I agree. This will probably be yalls best clipper yet still thinking qpf wise might be a little underdone. Really going to be interesting to watch this cross the mountains as well. 

But looking at the RH fields maybe a band of convection( SW to NE flow) setting up along the tail end of this later this afternoon before coming through the mountains around and after mid night.

nam_namer_012_700_rh_ht.gifnam-hires_namer_012_700_rh_ht.gif

Come on clipper...Dig a little deeper!

This will be a 50 knot WSW upslope event. Will be interesting to see if this setup does a better job targeting my mtn top then the typical upslope events that seem to affect the TN line almost exclusively.

Note-I flew over the Smokies on Friday and could see the snow covered ridges far below. They only turbulence experienced on the flight was when directly over the Smokies..despite being 30,000 feet above them..they still were creating ripples in the wind...

Well whatever falls tonight will be at good rates because it is colddd out there.

Yep it is. Things look pretty good on radar. Again not a true NW flow type snow as Mike mentioned but should do well with what looks like good moisture coming in. As you said it is cold! Temp down to 24 degrees already. Still have snow on the ground from last night.

Yep it is. Things look pretty good on radar. Again not a true NW flow type snow as Mike mentioned but should do well with what looks like good moisture coming in. As you said it is cold! Temp down to 24 degrees already. Still have snow on the ground from last night.

We have been doing pretty good with these so I say bring it on.  Knoxville radar looks good but I wonder if that will break down once it gets to the mountains or will it be eaten by dry air which is what was modeled.

Latest from Raysweather, he doesn't think February will be cold-

Overnight snow showers were light across the mountains, with most places getting just flurries, and areas closest to the TN border picking up a dusting to an inch of new snow. We have a one quiet, nice, milder day on Monday before we go back into the freezer for the rest of the workweek. Here's expected highs for MLK Day, with areas east of the mountains flirting with 60-degrees! February hint: It looks much milder than January.

Latest from Raysweather, he doesn't think February will be cold-

Overnight snow showers were light across the mountains, with most places getting just flurries, and areas closest to the TN border picking up a dusting to an inch of new snow. We have a one quiet, nice, milder day on Monday before we go back into the freezer for the rest of the workweek. Here's expected highs for MLK Day, with areas east of the mountains flirting with 60-degrees! February hint: It looks much milder than January.

Though he didn't say no snow, I couldn't imagine heading to next January w/o one single snow exceeding 1 inch closing in on 4 years.(well, at the airport anyway)   75 inches of precip and we can't get one measly inch of snow. I sound like Brick and Fritschy combined... but I feel their frustration.... and this was proceeded by almost 70 inches(at my house) in a winter and a half. Oh well, I guess we will see where it heads. I would rather be warm instead of $300.00 power bills and very little snow. Okay, I'm done. :baby:

Though he didn't say no snow, I couldn't imagine heading to next January w/o one single snow exceeding 1 inch closing in on 4 years.(well, at the airport anyway)   75 inches of precip and we can't get one measly inch of snow. I sound like Brick and Fritschy combined... but I feel their frustration.... and this was proceeded by almost 70 inches(at my house) in a winter and a half. Oh well, I guess we will see where it heads. I would rather be warm instead of $300.00 power bills and very little snow. Okay, I'm done. :baby:

Average snowfall for Asheville is about 16".  Your problem is, you got 4 years of snow in a year and a half. Averages can be a b**ch.

Archived