BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hahaha and yet we come here for snow but are complaining while getting snow. I love the irony.

Lol I know. I love snow but would like to make a snowman with my kids.

Well you could be me right now! A quick glance at the radar shows snow falling 360° around me yet I have had 25 flakes & no wind.....ugh!!!

Lol Don you get shafted a lot. Sorry man.

Light snow. Can we fast forward to next weekend? Im ready for a storm.

. Nice! We have snow falling here with some surfaces turning white. The wind is really ripping though. Also just to rant a bit. I am really tired of these crappy little systems that run up through here from the south. I mean can we not get a decent NW flow anymore? Also this upcoming cold snap I could care less about. Just give me a foot of snow.

Gentlemen, it's all a matter of perspective.  I would love to have your light snow event on my doorstep this evening.  I had snow showers on Thanksgiving Eve and nothing since then.  I know you gentlemen are used to much more snow than what you have gotten so far this year, but just treasure the beauty of those flakes as they fall.  Not all of us get to witness them so regularly.

I share your sentiment of wishing for a foot of snow, though.  It's been a long time since I've experienced that.

Gentlemen, it's all a matter of perspective.  I would love to have your light snow event on my doorstep this evening.  I had snow showers on Thanksgiving Eve and nothing since then.  I know you gentlemen are used to much more snow than what you have gotten so far this year, but just treasure the beauty of those flakes as they fall.  Not all of us get to witness them so regularly.

I share your sentiment of wishing for a foot of snow, though.  It's been a long time since I've experienced that.

Lol Well that is a good way of putting it. A lot of people are probably like are they crazy. They are getting some snow at least.

Very well said! :clap:

Just woke up & it's snowing! We are very close to a inch on the ground. Wind is not really a big factor in this part of the FBRV.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...
AS OF 245 AM...OUR CURRENT SHORTWAVE TROUGH EMBEDDED IN THE LONGWAVE
ACRS THE ERN US IS NOW DIRECTLY OVER THE SRN APPALACHIANS...
ACCOMPANIED BY A FAIR DEGREE OF MIDLEVEL MOISTURE CONCENTRATED OVER
MAINLY EAST TN AND THE NW HALF OF THE CWFA. A NOTABLE KINK IN RAP
500MB HEIGHTS IS STILL SET TO PUSH ACRS THE AREA EARLY THIS MRNG.
LLVL WINDS ARE SOMEWHAT CONVERGENT WITH THE LLVL TROUGH JUST TO OUR
EAST. THIS CONVERGENCE IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE UPPER FORCING HAS
ALLOWED SOME LOCALIZED BANDS OF LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS ACRS MUCH OF THE
MTNS AND FOOTHILLS.
RADAR RETURNS EVEN INDICATE SOME FLURRIES IN
BANDS OVER THE PIEDMONT...BUT SO FAR THERE IS NO INDICATION THESE
ARE REACHING THE SFC. IF THE BANDS ARE ABLE TO PERSIST...WHICH IS
LIKELY OVER THE NEXT FEW HRS AS THAT LAST LOBE OF VORTICITY SWINGS
THRU...CIGS BELOW THEM MAY LOWER AND SOME SNOW WILL REACH THE SFC.
HAVE HIT THE CENTRAL MTNS ALONG THE TENN BORDER HARDEST...AS UPSLOPE
/NW FLOW/ IS ENHANCING THE ACTIVITY. IN FACT PER NAM/GFS THE NW FLOW
SETUP CONTINUES TO SUPPORT SOME SNOW UNTIL LATE MORNING.

17o and flurries...light North wind...with 2" on the ground

Even though a light event, it really over-performed here in the North Toe river valley...sounds like in Buncombe too

Congrats to you in Asheville, Don!

Hwys NC 197, NC 226, NC 261, NC 80 are white and packed...Would be a good day to drive up to Carver's Gap...Im sure the wind is howling up there today...and maybe work some 6-meter band openings...any ham radio folks on here?

About an inch up here with a temp of 14 degrees. Wind is really howling here. Roads are snow covered.

What's your season snow total since last Fall?

I'm at 10" here and hoping the clippers tonight/Tuesday put me at a foot...Like you folks were saying yesterday, its been a real down season for upslope totals.  One of the best upslope events in recent memory that Ive had here at the house (2600') was a 9" event (36-hour) back in 2001.  There's been several, higher events at my campsite property (4200') in the past 4 years but just cant be there every time to see them lol. 

Just eyeballing here, but 2-4" here in Boone. What a great surprise. That next clipper looks a million times better than both of the last two, so maybe we can get a decent little storm tonight into tomorrow. It's a shame there's gonna be a lot of melting Monday, otherwise we'd be on our way to a nice snowpack!

Ended up with about 3 wind blown inches. Puts me over 20 for the year. All nickle and dime stuff. I also want a "storm" that drops 10 to 12.

Tonights clipper does look a little better this morning. So does Tuesday.

Oh, BTW,  9.8 degrees with a 18 wind. Chilly. 

Nice everyone!  And I agree Joe I believe tonight's system is looking more robust on the models.  It seems this flow really lets the valley cash in too.  I am wondering if our topography is prime since there is a valley from Asheville up through Leicester that leads close to the Tenn. border with smaller mountain resistance.  There are mountains on the border but none near 6000' that rob all the moisture. I think this could help explain at least part of why Asheville will get snow when Candler doesn't.  Anyone else have thoughts I would love some input.

Roads are covered in downtown with around half an inch. A car was stuck at the bottom of my road, thats the first time I have seen that this year. What a nice surprise!

Was ready to leave for work but, found out the boss crashed into a guardrail coming off of 240 at the Chunns Cove ex. No injuries but a new quarter panel, light, & cover are needed. Needless to say I am waiting a few minutes before I venture out.

So, I'm wanting to take the kids sledding in Blowing Rock this weekend, since we can't buy snow down here in the lowlands.  We've got a favorite hill off Shull's Mill Road to which we go.  I've got two possible windows of time that would work:

This afternoon:  High of 25; breezy; supposed to be clear, but clouds holding strong based on current satellite imagery; currently around 2+ inches of snow on the ground.

Monday morning+:  High of 44; breezy; not projected to get above freezing until Monday; supposed to be clear; additional snowfall expected late tonight through midday tomorrow; snow could compact and/or sublimate by Monday.

Live cam in downtown Blowing Rock:

http://www.resortcams.com/webcameras-blowing-rock.php

NWS point-and-click forecast for the location to which we plan to venture:

FIUNglV.png

Anyone want to weigh in on which time frame they think would bring the better overall experience?

Thanks.

Nice everyone!  And I agree Joe I believe tonight's system is looking more robust on the models.  It seems this flow really lets the valley cash in too.  I am wondering if our topography is prime since there is a valley from Asheville up through Leicester that leads close to the Tenn. border with smaller mountain resistance.  There are mountains on the border but none near 6000' that rob all the moisture. I think this could help explain at least part of why Asheville will get snow when Candler doesn't.  Anyone else have thoughts I would love some input.

I live out Sand Hill Rd now(wish I was still in Leicester during the winter).... nothing here, but crossed onto Bear Creek Rd this AM, and solid snow cover. It is amazing a few miles can make a difference. 

Archived