• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

HRRR suggests snow should taper off around 19 Z to 20 Z locally in the Balsams..later as you go to the NE. (At 19z..the last UV's are on-going over the Balsams but gone by 20z)  Some intense UV's show up this afternoon suggesting some local very heavy snow possible near or just East of the Blue Ridge.

post-9361-0-20484900-1389801612_thumb.jp

post-9361-0-34439400-1389801632_thumb.jp

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No reports yet. The snow is fine and blowing around a lot. Looks like some heavier echoes in Northern Jackson working north. You can see the surrounding mountains are receiving some decent snow but temps are hovering right around 23 degrees.

Thank you sir!  Got them all home safely.  Thank the Lord!  Snow was laying on roads above 3000' but no wheel slippage to warrant chains.

HRRR suggests snow should taper off around 19 Z to 20 Z locally in the Balsams..later as you go to the NE. (At 19z..the last UV's are on-going over the Balsams but gone by 20z)  Some intense UV's show up this afternoon suggesting some local very heavy snow possible near or just East of the Blue Ridge.

Hey, Mike!  Could you provide a link to those HRRR maps, please?  Those maps look quite interesting, and I'd like to explore them further.

Hey, Mike!  Could you provide a link to those HRRR maps, please?  Those maps look quite interesting, and I'd like to explore them further.

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/

Select "SE" Domain...then scroll down to look at product list.

FYI..this pic was just taken in my subdivision by Irwin Photography on Greenspire Road above Balsam. (This guy reported 2" on this road on his Facebook page.)

post-9361-0-72369500-1389809945_thumb.jp

Looks like the snow event is now on the downward slide for the mtns.(except perhaps the Northern Mtns.) NWS Greenville suggests the upslope snow tonight will be insignificant.(I think there might be an uptick in the 6 to 9 pm time frame.)

Here's the view from HempHill..

post-9361-0-21798300-1389816468_thumb.jp

Looks like the snow event is now on the downward slide for the mtns.(except perhaps the Northern Mtns.) NWS Greenville suggests the upslope snow tonight will be insignificant.(I think there might be an uptick in the 6 to 9 pm time frame.)

Here's the view from HempHill..

Robert (wxsouth) tweeted that Boone would see 2-4" tonight. What is going to make the scenario so favorable in Boone but not the southern mtns where I see y'all talking about insignificant snow tonight?

Robert (wxsouth) tweeted that Boone would see 2-4" tonight. What is going to make the scenario so favorable in Boone but not the southern mtns where I see y'all talking about insignificant snow tonight?

The forcing is departing to the NE initially suggesting snow might linger a bit there compared to my location.(Already some blue skies breaking out.) Also, there will be some NW flow type snows developing this evening. Still-I think maybe another inch tonight is probably more reasonable than 2 to 4" for Boone proper. (2" total?) Model guidance paints the area around the Smokies as getting the best snows with the normally snowy areas around Beech..not so much.

Some light snow up in Weaverville right now.

& with that we have a light ground cover! Good call Hvward.

Ya guys in just two hours we went from clear sky to hammering snow. Just got back from seeing my mom and she had nothing which is surprising but about a mile from home the roads are white and very slick and everything is completely covered again with snow. Very beautiful outside.

25o and light to moderate snow showers for the past hour here...almost another inch on the ground

Congrats to you all in Asheville/Buncombe Co!

Same here. I temp is down to 23 degrees with about an inch of snow on the ground here also. We had an inch this morning so our total today is about 2 inches.

Same here. I temp is down to 23 degrees with about an inch of snow on the ground here also. We had an inch this morning so our total today is about 2 inches.

Nice 85!  It snowed here all morning but just didnt get cold nor heavy enough to break a dusting...but less than 10 miles away and lower elevation...Burnsville got 2 inches in 90 minutes this afternoon!  Hey man, I'm praying for your mom too.

With the amount of moisture on the tenn line and the flow set up I wouldn't think it would be crazy for another band to break containment and make it into Asheville again tonight.  Oh '85 meant to mention that I would be down for a mountain get together or something sometime, saw that in banter and it would be fun.

Thanks Don, got my dusting too with light snow currently falling and roads covered!  I heard it was snowing hard in Candler also.

Just came back from N. Asheville. I live in W. Asheville. Snow covered roads and snowing pretty hard. Totally unrelated, but we passed under 2 separate transformers that blew.

Just saw K4CF's post 85 so I headed over to the banter thread. My thoughts & prayers will be with you and your family! I spent the last year dealing with my Dad (passed Nov 7)& miss him every day. You seem to have a great outlook on dealing with it. If there is anything I can do let me know.

Nice 85!  It snowed here all morning but just didnt get cold nor heavy enough to break a dusting...but less than 10 miles away and lower elevation...Burnsville got 2 inches in 90 minutes this afternoon!  Hey man, I'm praying for your mom too.

Wow that is impressive. Ya it snowed her hard this morning also. I will post pics in a bit. Also thank you very much. I am still kind of taking it all in and what it means and what the future may hold for my family.

With the amount of moisture on the tenn line and the flow set up I wouldn't think it would be crazy for another band to break containment and make it into Asheville again tonight.  Oh '85 meant to mention that I would be down for a mountain get together or something sometime, saw that in banter and it would be fun.

That would be great if we could all get together and meet one another. Would be nice to put faces with names. I like to think I am a decent family guy who loves weather and God. Lol.

Just came back from N. Asheville. I live in W. Asheville. Snow covered roads and snowing pretty hard. Totally unrelated, but we passed under 2 separate transformers that blew.

Ya it is getting slick out pretty quick. We are still getting some light snow.

Just saw K4CF's post 85 so I headed over to the banter thread. My thoughts & prayers will be with you and your family! I spent the last year dealing with my Dad (passed Nov 7)& miss him every day. You seem to have a great outlook on dealing with it. If there is anything I can do let me know.

Thank you Don! I thought of you when we found out and remembered you just had you father past away. Thank you for the thoughts and prayers and I will be praying for all of yall also. Either way things will be ok.

You boys better look west out of the back of your kitchen window. You got a 1000 x better looking band of precip compared to last night getting ready to come through.

I was a little gun shy to post about it because it was so well modeled to dry up but it looks to continue to strengthen.  Hopefully a surprise dusting??

I was a little gun shy to post about it because it was so well modeled to dry up but it looks to continue to strengthen.  Hopefully a surprise dusting??

Hopefully it will make it down into the valley floors. It's convective looking which will cause it to pulse down just as fast as it pulses up. Check out the heavy dbz cell north of Nashville. 

Archived