Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
CONTEST: Early August 6-9 Rainfall

wxmeddler

RULES:

ENTRY END TIME: 1z Tuesday (9PM Monday)

CONTEST START TIME: 4z Tuesday (Midnight Tuesday)

CONTEST END TIME: 4z Saturday (11:59:59 Friday)

CONTEST FIELDS: (copy and fill this out)

Rainfall at DCA:

Rainfall at IAD:
Rainfall at BWI:

High Temperature at DCA for period:

Low Temperature at DCA for period:

Tiebreaker- Lowest humidity for period at DCA:

CONTEST SCORING:
(Rain @ DCA + Rain @ IAD + Rain @ BWI) + (High @ DCA / 10) + (Low @ DCA /10) =

Ex. (2.43 + 2.60 + 1.72) + (82/10) + (68/10) =

LATE ENTRIES:
Late entries will have a penalty of .25 pts per hour until Midnight Tuesday (Start of the contest)(max .75 pts). After that, the entrant may put out a forecast but will be disqualified and given a " *

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you mean to say BWI? Also, I'm not criticizing but am wondering why you're totally the precipitation from all the airports and not considering the error from each. Why not just say how much total precip at all three airports? But maybe I am missing something. I'm not the sharpest knife on the Christmas tree so maybe I am being stupid.

Edit: I should have prefaced this post with a thank you for coming up with and organizing a contest. They're always a lot of fun, so thanks.

Did you mean to say BWI? Also, I'm not criticizing but am wondering why you're totally the precipitation from all the airports and not considering the error from each. Why not just say how much total precip at all three airports? But maybe I am missing something. I'm not the sharpest knife on the Christmas tree so maybe I am being stupid.

Edit: I should have prefaced this post with a thank you for coming up with and organizing a contest. They're always a lot of fun, so thanks.

Sorry, Yes I meant BWI and I fixed the original post: :lol:

In the end it doesn't matter if you take off the precip by each airport or if you total each airport and subtract :

So:

Case 1: each airport (forecast-actual): (|2.50- 2.25|) + (|2.75-2.5|) + (|3.00-2.75) = (.25+.25+.25) = .75

OR

Case 2 all airports forecast - actual:

(2.50 + 2.75 + 3) - (2.25 + 2.5 + 2.75) = (8.25)-(7.5) = .75

It's the same no matter which way you do the math, it's just a matter of parenthesizes.

You should add a station like Elkins wv or Roanoke va

Taking the KISS approach. It's only a 24 hr forecast entry time, if I had made it 2 days ago then perhaps. Maybe next time.

First guess to be edited later (I'm sure):

Rainfall at DCA: 1.40

Rainfall at IAD: 1.10

Rainfall at BWI: 1.60

High Temperature at DCA for period: 91

Low Temperature at DCA for period: 67

Tiebreaker- Lowest humidity for period at DCA: 59%

Why are there knives on a Christmas tree? 

Rainfall at DCA: 1.25"

Rainfall at IAD: 1"
Rainfall at BWI: 1.5"

High Temperature at DCA for period: 90

Low Temperature at DCA for period: 66

Tiebreaker- Lowest humidity for period at DCA: 52%

==

most complicated contest ever?

Rainfall at DCA: 1.14

Rainfall at IAD: 0.87

Rainfall at BWI: 1.06

High Temperature at DCA for period: 87

Low Temperature at DCA for period: 68

Tiebreaker- Lowest humidity for period at DCA: 71%

You're going to bust on humidity in a few hours

Dews are surging nice maybe you won't bust that fast on humidity. I actually had to go back a look at some past warm/humid days on that one or I would have gone higher.

Dews are surging nice maybe you won't bust that fast on humidity. I actually had to go back a look at some past warm/humid days on that one or I would have gone higher.

I thought DCA would radiate a bit faster than it did with near clear skies and dry mid/upper levels, combine that with the low level moisture increasing from the S (Potomac) and that's where I got my 71%. It looks like it will be 64-65%.

Better than 52% ;)

I thought DCA would radiate a bit faster than it did with near clear skies and dry mid/upper levels, combine that with the low level moisture increasing from the S (Potomac) and that's where I got my 71%. It looks like it will be 64-65%.

Better than 52% ;)

Yeah not a bust after all really. Yet at least. :P

Archived